Going on "Tilt"

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, Bucolic, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

58Hawken
Been around awhile

Going on "Tilt"

Post by 58Hawken »

For those not familiar, "Going on Tilt" is a poker phrase when your get put off your game and your concentration is broken so you make stupid mistakes. It's common enough that it has a name. Maybe similar to "bonking" in sports. You just hit that wall, and that's it. It takes a lot of skill to recover. Anyone familiar with such a thing in shooting?

I notice after a couple of hours, I just hit a wall. I'm physically tired. I can be prone, not moving anything but my trigger finger. And then the concentration of shooting out to hundreds of yards and minding errant movements of a fraction of an inch just exhausts me. Errant movements a non-shooter wouldn't notice, but that I can see as stupid mistakes. Then I start making bigger mistakes, skipping checklist items, not minding my breathing, jerking a trigger and just being DONE. Anything I do past that point is a waste of ammo and it's time to pack up for the day. I might switch to bore sighting a new weapon or something less impactful. But anything needing significant concentration is off the table.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Going on "Tilt"

Post by sig230 »

That sounds more like wisdom than "Tilt".
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

once it becomes work, it's time to pack up. YMMV

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

58Hawken
Been around awhile

Post by 58Hawken »

sig230 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 pm
That sounds more like wisdom than "Tilt".
Hence why Kenny Rogers knew when to walk away. Not being aware of being on tilt and continuing to play just makes you shark bait. So, my curiosity is whether this is common among shooters as well. Where there's a physical/emotional state where following fundamentals just ain't gonna happen.
Last edited by 58Hawken on Mon May 18, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Yup.

Mason

Post by Mason »

It’s normal. I shot target in high school, and used to spend many hours in my garage shooting precision air rifles. Just like anything else, you’re worn out after a while. On my bicycles I notice my handling skills and attention to traffic going before my legs or lungs.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

After about 2 hours, particularly standing at an indoor range, I know I'm worn out, and aware it's not the getting old that sucks, it's all the parts going 'way past their "use by" date! (Back, knees, wrists, shoulders, etc.)

I made many a pinball machine go 'TILT!" in my mis-spent youth!
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Mon May 18, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Merle
Been around awhile

Post by Merle »

yeah, sadly I see it as related to aging... :(
Merle from PA

ImageImage

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

senorgrand wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:30 pm
once it becomes work, it's time to pack up. YMMV
Agreed. Too many of us keep pushing through and expect a different result when we should pack it up.

Too competitive to quit, too hardheaded to remember it isn't a competition.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Shooting is my alternative to golf. If it isn't enjoyable, I'm either doing something wrong (like fighting bad ergonomics on a rifle) or I'm done.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

If it isn't enjoyable, it must be golf! (I caddied as a teen and hated every minute of it, giving me a lifetime aversion to "shit"--oh! Wait---that 4-letter word was already take by ...shit :shit:)
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

58Hawken
Been around awhile

Post by 58Hawken »

K9s wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 pm
Agreed. Too many of us keep pushing through and expect a different result when we should pack it up.
This weekend it was working on a new old scope for the SKS. It's really just my kids' plinker and I usually encourage them to use the iron sights, but I'd like an accurate scope on it. I overcompensated the adjustment somewhere and then started getting flyers, my math started going screwy, and I said, "That's it. I'm done."
Too competitive to quit, too hardheaded to remember it isn't a competition.
Love that.
senorgrand wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:34 pm
Shooting is my alternative to golf. If it isn't enjoyable, I'm either doing something wrong (like fighting bad ergonomics on a rifle) or I'm done.
I have co-workers that talk about hitting a bucket of balls. I usually feel things out by saying I prefer a box of shells.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

A golf course or "driving range" is actually the deliberate and willful misuse of land that could make a perfectly good rifle range.

There outta be a law.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

K9s wrote:A golf course or "driving range" is actually the deliberate and willful misuse of land that could make a perfectly good rifle range.

There outta be a law.
Yup, and ranges don't need fertilizer, win-win

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Merle wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:57 pm
I didn’t run out of focus back when I didn’t know how to focus. I run out of “it” sooner, but that’s cause I’m actually using “it”. I can blow through many hundreds of rounds in a session, but when I’m really on, I can shoot less than fifty and be exhausted.

It comes with age, but it isn’t decreasing ability so much as increasing.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Marlene wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 pm
Merle wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:57 pm
I didn’t run out of focus back when I didn’t know how to focus. I run out of “it” sooner, but that’s cause I’m actually using “it”. I can blow through many hundreds of rounds in a session, but when I’m really on, I can shoot less than fifty and be exhausted.

I like your attitude!

58Hawken
Been around awhile

Post by 58Hawken »

Marlene wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Hear, hear. When I'm on, I can make a box last hours. When I'm not, I can blow through one in minutes.