LGC BULLSEYE MATCH 14 UNDERWAY

LGC Bullseye Match 14 has begun.

It will end at 6pm on Monday, January 8, 2018

A link to all the details is below.

Ignore the end date and match number on the iinked instructions.

If you already have a copy of the rules, details, and targets, you're set. The details (except for the match number and deadline) are the same for all Bullseye matches.
LGC Bullseye Match 13 Details go.pdf
(247.85 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Re: LGC BULLSEYE MATCH 13 UNDERWAY

I shot the rimfire iron and rimfire glass this morning. I improved slightly in each. I did make the mistake of drinking a large cup of Starbucks Komodo Dragon about an hour before shooting and I fought with the tremors. This was particularly hard since I was shooting them one-handed. Scores were so-so.

I will wait until I shoot the centerfire iron before submitting my scores to Paco. No coffee prior to that one.

Bucolic wrote:I shot the rimfire iron and rimfire glass this morning. I improved slightly in each. I did make the mistake of drinking a large cup of Starbucks Komodo Dragon about an hour before shooting and I fought with the tremors. This was particularly hard since I was shooting them one-handed. Scores were so-so.

I will wait until I shoot the centerfire iron before submitting my scores to Paco. No coffee prior to that one.

HMMM, a small amount of caffeine actually helps me - but different strokes...... :drunklep:
Merle from PA

Having never shot one of these, can I make a suggestion?

Reddit /r/guns does monthly matches in much the same way. What makes things more fun is that the instructions are the first post, and participants post their results via pictures of their targets (and usually the guns they used to shoot said targets) in the same thread.

Not only do we get the results sooner, we get to see what a high score actually looks like. Also, this is a much easier way to submit results than filling out a worksheet.

If these changes are made, I would personally be more inclined to participate.

I disagree with the suggestion that scores be shared throughout the match. I think it discourages participation. The interest has been building lately and some new shooters are expressing interest. As we know, it's hard to shoot accurately and publishing scores from the old hands may be frustrating to newbies.

Just my opinion.

Btw, I shot the centerfire iron today - two-handed with my CZ Sp-01. I suck at one-handed shooting so I feel much better now...

Bucolic wrote:I disagree with the suggestion that scores be shared throughout the match. I think it discourages participation. The interest has been building lately and some new shooters are expressing interest. As we know, it's hard to shoot accurately and publishing scores from the old hands may be frustrating to newbies.

Just my opinion.

Btw, I shot the centerfire iron today - two-handed with my CZ Sp-01. I suck at one-handed shooting so I feel much better now...

I must agree with this - I find it tough enough to get newbies to the range, let alone go for competition. Posting scores as the match runs would likely dampen what enthusiasm there was, as even experienced shooters don't want the world to see how they did. :drunklep:
Merle from PA

Merle wrote:
Bucolic wrote:I disagree with the suggestion that scores be shared throughout the match. I think it discourages participation. The interest has been building lately and some new shooters are expressing interest. As we know, it's hard to shoot accurately and publishing scores from the old hands may be frustrating to newbies.

Just my opinion.

I must agree with this - I find it tough enough to get newbies to the range, let alone go for competition. Posting scores as the match runs would likely dampen what enthusiasm there was, as even experienced shooters don't want the world to see how they did. :drunklep:
Well, I think this is about a balance of user-friendlyness and ego protection.

When you bring up this point, I wonder - does the fact that some people run marathons in under 3 hours discourage everyone else from going jogging? Aren't we all adults here? I think this effect is overstated.

How about this - as an incentive for first time participants, the LGC's training program coordinator (that's me) will review their targets and offer personalized tips for how to improve the next time around.

p0lyhuman wrote:Having never shot one of these, can I make a suggestion?

Reddit /r/guns does monthly matches in much the same way. What makes things more fun is that the instructions are the first post, and participants post their results via pictures of their targets (and usually the guns they used to shoot said targets) in the same thread.

Not only do we get the results sooner, we get to see what a high score actually looks like. Also, this is a much easier way to submit results than filling out a worksheet.

I appreciate the suggestion, but a "leader board" in our Bullseye matches would do more harm than good.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Paco wrote:

I appreciate the suggestion, but a "leader board" in our Bullseye matches would do more harm than good.
It's possible that I did not explain myself properly. I'm not advocating for a leaderboard, which implies that we're tracking scores across multiple matches. Nor do we need to rank every single participant if we think that would be counterproductive.

See the August Pistol match from the /r/guns subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... tol_match/

The instructions for the shoot are presented in the original post. Questions for clarification, comments, shitposting, and actual results show up in the replies below. As the results roll in they update the original post to show the rankings.

What makes these fun is that the challenge is different every time, and the winner of the previous month gets to come up with next month's challenge. I realize this is different from a standardized bullseye match, but I wanted to give some context.

The most notable thing is that despite everyone's scores being visible to everyone else, the responses are generally very supportive regardless of the score. Comments saying "git gud" are meant to be encouraging, not deprecating. In terms of scoring and challenge, I think these matches are being taken just as seriously as any other bullseye match.

Maybe the answer is not to change how we run the current bullseye match, but rather to experiment with a more relaxed format in another concurrent monthly postal match. The workload of administering scoring etc. is spread among members so nobody in particular would end up overburdened. Thoughts?

p0lyhuman wrote:
Paco wrote:

It's possible that I did not explain myself properly. I'm not advocating for a leaderboard, which implies that we're tracking scores across multiple matches. Nor do we need to rank every single participant if we think that would be counterproductive.

See the August Pistol match from the /r/guns subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... tol_match/

The instructions for the shoot are presented in the original post. Questions for clarification, comments, shitposting, and actual results show up in the replies below. As the results roll in they update the original post to show the rankings.

What makes these fun is that the challenge is different every time, and the winner of the previous month gets to come up with next month's challenge. I realize this is different from a standardized bullseye match, but I wanted to give some context.

The most notable thing is that despite everyone's scores being visible to everyone else, the responses are generally very supportive regardless of the score. Comments saying "git gud" are meant to be encouraging, not deprecating. In terms of scoring and challenge, I think these matches are being taken just as seriously as any other bullseye match.

Maybe the answer is not to change how we run the current bullseye match, but rather to experiment with a more relaxed format in another concurrent monthly postal match. The workload of administering scoring etc. is spread among members so nobody in particular would end up overburdened. Thoughts?
Maybe leave the bullseye matches as they are, and start a separate thread for voluntary target analysis from the training folks?

Rimfire #13
scan0001.jpg
Once again I placed the three Bullseye targets directly over the store target, but this time I'd shot many more practice shots than last time. At first I had the trigger in the first joint, but then I moved the trigger to the pad of the index finger. I was at first wanting to duplicate the trigger style of my Vaquero, at the joint. But this .22 is a pup with respect to recoil when compared to the .45. This made me put the trigger on the pad.

You can see above one strong grouping to the left--this was the trigger in the joint. Then you can see a strong grouping just above and left. This is the trigger on the pad.

I was again shooting one handed with my Ruger MKII. I scored better this time around, so I'll send my scores to Paco later--since he's gone and the match runs maybe four more weeks, there is no screeching hurry. Besides, happy hour at the local sushi restaurant starts soon, and they have 24 oz microbrews on happy hour special. Priorities, folks. Priorities.

Those of you who haven't yet shot, get out there and shoot a set of targets. This gives you time to shoot another set later, which is what I'll do after I make some center fire bullets. :beer2:

On edit: I totaled them up and I did best on the rapid fire this time, with a respectable score over all.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack