Re: LGC BULLSEYE MATCH 13 UNDERWAY

These matches have made me look at my hand gun shooting in ways I never did before. I find it fascinating to have a record of my scores over this time and to read what I thought when I shot them. I would like to shoot once a week, but so far my sched gets in the way. Turns out I can't just be spontaneous if I want to do once a week. You're right, though: it's good clean fun.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

AndyH wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:
Paco wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:Having never shot one of these, can I make a suggestion?

Reddit /r/guns does monthly matches in much the same way. What makes things more fun is that the instructions are the first post, and participants post their results via pictures of their targets (and usually the guns they used to shoot said targets) in the same thread.

Not only do we get the results sooner, we get to see what a high score actually looks like. Also, this is a much easier way to submit results than filling out a worksheet.

If these changes are made, I would personally be more inclined to participate.
I appreciate the suggestion, but a "leader board" in our Bullseye matches would do more harm than good.
It's possible that I did not explain myself properly. I'm not advocating for a leaderboard, which implies that we're tracking scores across multiple matches. Nor do we need to rank every single participant if we think that would be counterproductive.

See the August Pistol match from the /r/guns subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... tol_match/

The instructions for the shoot are presented in the original post. Questions for clarification, comments, shitposting, and actual results show up in the replies below. As the results roll in they update the original post to show the rankings.

What makes these fun is that the challenge is different every time, and the winner of the previous month gets to come up with next month's challenge. I realize this is different from a standardized bullseye match, but I wanted to give some context.

The most notable thing is that despite everyone's scores being visible to everyone else, the responses are generally very supportive regardless of the score. Comments saying "git gud" are meant to be encouraging, not deprecating. In terms of scoring and challenge, I think these matches are being taken just as seriously as any other bullseye match.

Maybe the answer is not to change how we run the current bullseye match, but rather to experiment with a more relaxed format in another concurrent monthly postal match. The workload of administering scoring etc. is spread among members so nobody in particular would end up overburdened. Thoughts?
Maybe leave the bullseye matches as they are, and start a separate thread for voluntary target analysis from the training folks?
This is a good idea. I can create a template to indicate what the bare minimum of information would need to be included for a useful "therapy" session. Distance, caliber, pics of the user's grip and ideally a video of the user shooting.

Shot the center fire portion to go with my rimfire portion. I got to use the Vaquero this time, as the weather had improved such that I could stay out in my reloading shack for more than six minutes. I posted the .45LC down in the "what did you reload today" thread, along with the sized and decapped .357's. I might load them up also and shoot this match with them as well.

Marlene had posted about making and shooting fifty rounds a week so as to improve. I think that's a fine idea, but whether I could keep up that reloading schedule is another thing. I think it's possible. Certainly I think I could do fifty rounds every two weeks, made and shot--this doesn't count .22's out my MKII. I have a few of those rounds lying around, and prices have come down and availability has gone up. I think I should shoot some .22's each time I shoot center fire, which is what I did today.

So I went to the local indoor range where I'm a member, and I say this is a great thing because all they do is take my card and give me a lane and some targets. No hassle at all. This makes the fifty rounds thing much easier.

This time I shot about forty .22's. Then I shot a dozen .45LC to warm up. Then I shot the match. As with last time, I left the range target up behind the Bullseye matches. The target below shows all but three that are off the scan. My wretched scanner only does 8 1/2 X 11 scans, and these targets I think are a foot square.

It had been some weeks since I shot the Vaquero. It recoils more than the .357. My first three shots of practice were in the black, but then I got progressively more shy about recoil. I think getting on a regular reloading and shooting schedule will go a long way to assuaging this small problem. Still, they were all on paper, one handed at 15 yards, so there's that.

Two short of 200 this time. Here's the target of total .45 LC rounds, 8.6 gr Unique under a 255 gr LSWC.
scan0002.jpg
CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack
Attachments
scan0002.pdf
(583.24 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Shot the rimfire glass on Sunday. 3 points better than last time. I keep forgetting to try with my 9mm, and since I shoot my 9 first when I go to practice, I'm out of cartridges once I'm practicing with the .22.

Since it seems to be up for debate, I'll not post my competition targets here, but for your entertainment here's why I run out of my 9mm. I'm having too much fun to stop! This is another Mozambique drill, 150 rounds this time, so there are 50 shots up and 100 shots to center mass here. Magazines loaded with 3 rounds each, so mag change between every 3 shots. This was about 30 feet. I had a good day.

CDFingers - I shoot twice a month for an hour, 100 9mm and 100 22lr. Even if I slowed down I'd do a minimum of 50 each. I should probably slow down anyway, but I'm also working on faster fire with the 9mm and Mozambique drills have been the best way to get me to take the most time while still doing faster double taps.
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety
Attachments
20171009_201315.jpg

Shot the match, and it's even one whole day before the deadline! :w00t: I confess to going back to a two-hand hold for this one; it was 47 degrees and rainy at the range, and I was beginning to shiver. The one-handed posture was feeling like a disaster-in-the-making.

New ammo made a debut this time: I used 147gr. TMJ Lawman 9mm for the centerfire portion; I usually go with generic 115gr, but I don't think it makes any difference for me on the centerfire bit.

BUT! I broke out the new Eley 22lr they are making for the Civilian Marksmanship Program, and it shot pretty well. Being chilly, the paraffin wax on the boolits had firmed up and instead of feeling slick, they felt almost grainy. Ran though the MK III just fine, with no hiccups. I can't complain about the performance. According to the box, they are 40gr. and 1090 fps. They felt really nice to shoot.

Another change up: My posture was feeling really tight, and I was getting some tremor through the sights. I loosened up, relaxed the elbows a bit, and it went away. Accuracy improved, too. I need to analyze the posture a bit more to see what's going on. Does anyone else experience better shooting when their joints aren't so locked-up? :hmmm:

Anywho, here's the new boolits and what they did in slow fire mode at 15 yards...
Eley CMP 22lr.jpg
Slowfire.jpg
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Eris wrote:Hooray! Just submitted my scores. First time doing this. I am totally going to lose! :yahoo:
Yay, another entrant! :) There is no losing in this league, only fun and self-improvement. It's awesome that you have joined in. :yahoo:

If you end up not liking your score, don't be discouraged. We're all here to learn and have fun. :)

Of course, that MK of yours might be at fault, too. I'd make a sacrifice and take it off your hands... :whistle:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

p0lyhuman wrote:
Merle wrote:
Bucolic wrote:I disagree with the suggestion that scores be shared throughout the match. I think it discourages participation. The interest has been building lately and some new shooters are expressing interest. As we know, it's hard to shoot accurately and publishing scores from the old hands may be frustrating to newbies.

Just my opinion.

Btw, I shot the centerfire iron today - two-handed with my CZ Sp-01. I suck at one-handed shooting so I feel much better now...

I must agree with this - I find it tough enough to get newbies to the range, let alone go for competition. Posting scores as the match runs would likely dampen what enthusiasm there was, as even experienced shooters don't want the world to see how they did. :drunklep:
Well, I think this is about a balance of user-friendlyness and ego protection.

When you bring up this point, I wonder - does the fact that some people run marathons in under 3 hours discourage everyone else from going jogging? Aren't we all adults here? I think this effect is overstated.

How about this - as an incentive for first time participants, the LGC's training program coordinator (that's me) will review their targets and offer personalized tips for how to improve the next time around.

As a newbie this time around: I looked at the historical scores for the earlier 12 matches, so I had a pretty good idea of how well the old-timers did and what kinds of scores were winning. The scores are all posted right there. So I think knowing how people are scoring as the match is proceeding has less of a (negative) psychological effect than one might expect. I pretty much knew going in (and every day that I practiced) how I compared to the rest of the field.

Plus, it's pretty much always just "did I get all my shots in the black?" Yes = "feels great", No = "not as great, keep improving." I just feel happy if I'm better today than I was yesterday / last week. Seeing other people shoot better is inspirational to me (i.e. "look, that's how well you can do if you keep practicing!"), not demoralizing at all.

Re: LGC BULLSEYE MATCH 14 UNDERWAY

The main issue in shooting is consistency. With a pistol, consistency is even more important. There are so many variables with a pistol because it has fewer points of support than does a rifle.

Shorter sight radius, dependency upon arm strength, variation of hand and finger control.

I always have the flyers that indicate my hand and finger control varied from the norm.

This is a zen exercise. Focus and concentration without obsession is difficult. Making it a concurrent and unthinking series of movements is difficult, but obtainable. It is what makes shooting a relaxing exercise. I din’t Worry about shooting well, I just concentrate on doing the same things each time.

Your main competitor is your own body, not the other shooters.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.