A Perishable Skill: Bullseye Matches

I was doing well in early November, as my schedule let me shoot once a week. Then began holiday season, and my range time evaporated. I managed to get in on Jan 6 to finish the postal match, and I could see that I'd not shot for a while. I did get a lot in the black, but my groups expanded. I see it as a matter of concentration, the type you need to practice to ensure continued accuracy.

I want to thank Paco--thank you, Paco, for running these matches, as I'm sure it takes lots of energy. Without the matches, it would be easy just to let a range day pass, saying I'd do it next time or what not. With the matches I try to convert a spare hour here and there to getting to the local indoor range for pistol stuff.

I'm able still to play archery two to three times a week, and my shooting is very good. Not so with pistols. With archery I just have to step out the back door. Pistols takes a bit more planning and execution. This year I will up my game, scheduling things better.

Here is the 40 round target set beneath the Bullseye match on the 6th. You can see the opened groups.
scan0001(1).jpg
The holidays also impeded my reloading, which impeded my Vaquero shooting, so this was with the 1911 with store bought ammo. Still breaking it in, so have not decided about the trigger yet.

It is sort of interesting to go to the indoor range and spend literally 37 minutes shooting 40 rounds, which includes signing in and washing my hands on the way out. To me, it shows what I might be able to do under some small stress. Good info, but still I want to improve.

Thanks again, Paco.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: A Perishable Skill: Bullseye Matches

You're putting them on paper, CD, and if you are still shooting one-handed I'd say that's admirable. I can relate, as once again I didn't get to the range as much as I wanted to this cycle. I also cheesed out and shot the match two-handed. :(

I always look forward to your Bullseye and range trip posts. :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

HotheadPaisan wrote::w00t: I wanna play... still not clear on how this works. Calibers? Shooter’s choice? Dates?

In your collective honor, I shot the hell out of a target with .22 (Ruger revolver, Browning auto) for the first time today. :w00t:
Check out the rules document that is attached to every Bullseye Match announcement thread. Rules are there, but do ask questions once you've found that. (or if you can't find it) ;) There is a scoring sheet at the end of the doc that you can fill out and send in to the email on the form.

Looking forward to your participation! :)

Agreed CD, My entries are a great example. I haven’t been able to get to the range as often since I started this job and my scores are slipping.

Interestingly, I did slightly better on my slow fire scores this time by relaxing and lowering the gun between each shot as mentioned in another thread. That wasn’t enough to save my decline though.

Also another shout out to Paco for continuing to run these events.

Bacchus wrote:You're putting them on paper, CD, and if you are still shooting one-handed I'd say that's admirable. I can relate, as once again I didn't get to the range as much as I wanted to this cycle. I also cheesed out and shot the match two-handed. :(

I always look forward to your Bullseye and range trip posts. :)
I began using the technique I saw in a vid here about Russian one handed competition pistol technique. Could not find the link.

Raising the pistol up from rest then slowing down, then stopping, then squeezing is pretty effective. Sometimes I dropped the hammer before coming to a full stop, or in over flights. I think the technique shows promise. I need to get a wind up like with archery or baseball pitching. That seems to work for me.

The recoil in this acp is considerably milder than the same round shot out my Vaquero. Certainly the semi auto mechanism soaks up the energy. Much fun to shoot. I have about 4 hundred rounds or so through it I suppose by now.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yeah, that Russian target shooting video was cool. Really breaks down the mechanics. I've been shooting the slow fire super slow and separate like that the last couple of times and the groups have tightened. Lots of breathing, too. Breathing focus, that is.

I'm glad you are liking your .45. :) I really like mine, though I haven't gotten to the same accuracy with it as with others of mine. When I first started shooting, the boom put me off; I was recoil sensitive to everything. Nowadays it's a hoot to shoot one-handed and feels like I always imagined it would: A hearty Ka-Pow and a firm, steady push of recoil.