Action shooting sports, how to get started? (also do i need more kit?)

I have my firearms and punching holes in paper is fine and all (I do want to get better still) I want something more active, more targets, movement, practical use of gear aside from me aiming my pistol/rifle at paper and trying not to jerk the trigger. While I can't think of any practical reason for any of these skills, they just sound more interesting, and better physical exercise, than standing in one spot shooting paper. The only thing I can do at most ranges even is reload drills. I don't expect to be any good to start with, but you can't get better if you don't try right?

Can you all point me in the right direction? Should I be ready to shell out big money or am I good to start with my cheap AR-15 and a 9mm pistol with optic? Do i need extra rigging for anything?

For my AR I have a 2 point "battle" sling, a couple foregrip mods (rubber inserts for keymod/m-lok and a rail cover up top, could remove), a rail next to the magwell for whatever vertical/angled foregrip (try to keep hands close personally, have a vertical on it now because i didn't want to grab the magwell), front rail for a QD flashlight or QD bipod, and a QD 3-9 power scope when i feel like it. AR barrel is free floated but I don't know how much that matters. I need to get my scope sighted in for sure because it's only been crudely boresighted using a barrel laser. Muzzle devices i have are basically an a2 flash hider and a knockoff flash can. For my 9mm, I have a slightly used Canik TP9SFx (with standard holster) with a cheap RDS (it needs some adjusting but it points forward). the last owner polished some of the interior surfaces to make it run smoother, but its fine other than I might need a lighter recoil spring for it to hold open on last round (i don't know why it only malfunctions on the last round, i guess the hold open is further back than the standard cycle distance). I can hit minute of bad guy at with both at with irons at 25 yds but i haven't had much time to practice at longer ranges. (within the 6 inch circle with a rifle, hitting a silhouette with the pistol, which probably doesn't say much.)

It might be too much stuff for getting started, but i still have a bit of boy scout in me (Be prepared).

also can upload pictures.

Re: Action shooting sports, how to get started? (also do i need more kit?)

I'd recommend starting with pistol matches first. Find a range or club near you that hosts USPSA matches (sometimes called by its international name IPSC). Contact them and find out if they have prerequisites for first-time shooters (safety class, etc.). The Canik seems like it would fit just fine into some USPSA division or other (probably Limited). Besides a secure holster, you'll need several magazines and a way to carry them on your belt.

Later, when you have some experience with pistol run-and-gun, you can expand to 2-gun or 3-gun with the rifle.

Another handgun action discipline is IDPA, but I think that has a steeper learning curve for beginners -- many more rules, some quite goofy.

There is also steel challenge, which I think of as a gateway drug for getting into action shooting. Minimal movement, but you learn to balance speed and accuracy.

FInd out what's available near you. When you shoot your first match(es), think SAFETY first, second, and third. After that, think accuracy. And only after that, you can start to think about speed. Know where your muzzle is pointed and where your trigger finger is 100% of the time, even when distracted by awkward movements, malfunctions, etc.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Here's the equipment list for various action shooting.

USPSA:

The SFx is a single action gun, USPSA stages are limited to 32 rounds, so the 2 20 round magazines that come with the gun are fine, but having 3 or more magazines gives you more options on how to shoot a stage. You will need a belt and 2-3 magazine holders, I don't recommend the paddle holster that comes with the SFx because it's like a SERPA holster which requires you to push a button to release the gun. This design has caused negligent discharges in some cases. Most USPSA shooters do not shoot to lock back so LRBHO is a non issue, we just keep a running count of rounds used.

With iron sights, you can shoot Limited division, with the optic you can shoot Carry Optics.

Two Gun:

Your AR is fine as is, but I would lose all the rails/QD/rubber grip stuff. Few matches require the use of a sling, keep it in your range bag, just in case.

With iron sights you can shoot Stock/Factory division. The 3x9 scope is not well suited for action shooting, paper targets are scored 2 hits any where. No groups, it's about speed. Most competitors use a 1x4 or 1x6 scope so you can range out from 5 yards to 500-600 yards.

Here are the divisions you can shoot:

Stock/Factory: iron sights on both rifle and pistol
Tac Ops: Optic on rifle, iron sights on pistol
Open: Optic on rifle, red dot on pistol.

Steel Challenge:

You can shoot Limited Division with iron sights, Carry optics/Open with an optic. You will need a holster, extra magazines and holders are nice but not necessary.

Places for Action Shooting around DFW:

North Texas Multigun
ETTS
Triple C Range

You can also find local matches on Practiscore

Years ago I took an Action Pistol class at the United Sportsman's range in Concord. We spent most of the first day talking about safety and rules. Late in the first day, we first walked the courses, firing then ran through the courses. The second day was a full on competition. There were 16 newbies in the class, including myself. 46 people competed on Sunday. I am proud to say that I placed 16th. I used my Glock model 22. I only competed the one time. All I needed was a holster, magazine carrier and of course my gun and 200 rounds of ammo.

What ever you go to, follow these guidelines:
1 Be safe
2 have fun
3 shoot your guns
4 learn something from it
Do these guidelines in this order!!!!!

Notice I didn't say, "try to impress the big boys", or "try to win". There's always going to be somebody better than you. Don't get caught up in the "I have to have fancier equipment," or, "the guys won't think I'm cool," or "that woman will not think I'm tough and skilled enough." Once you get that stuff out of the way, you are ready to have some fun.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

spara wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:56 pm Here's the equipment list for various action shooting.

USPSA:

The SFx is a single action gun, USPSA stages are limited to 32 rounds, so the 2 20 round magazines that come with the gun are fine, but having 3 or more magazines gives you more options on how to shoot a stage. You will need a belt and 2-3 magazine holders, I don't recommend the paddle holster that comes with the SFx because it's like a SERPA holster which requires you to push a button to release the gun. This design has caused negligent discharges in some cases. Most USPSA shooters do not shoot to lock back so LRBHO is a non issue, we just keep a running count of rounds used.

With iron sights, you can shoot Limited division, with the optic you can shoot Carry Optics.

Two Gun:

Your AR is fine as is, but I would lose all the rails/QD/rubber grip stuff. Few matches require the use of a sling, keep it in your range bag, just in case.

With iron sights you can shoot Stock/Factory division. The 3x9 scope is not well suited for action shooting, paper targets are scored 2 hits any where. No groups, it's about speed. Most competitors use a 1x4 or 1x6 scope so you can range out from 5 yards to 500-600 yards.

Here are the divisions you can shoot:

Stock/Factory: iron sights on both rifle and pistol
Tac Ops: Optic on rifle, iron sights on pistol
Open: Optic on rifle, red dot on pistol.

Steel Challenge:

You can shoot Limited Division with iron sights, Carry optics/Open with an optic. You will need a holster, extra magazines and holders are nice but not necessary.

Places for Action Shooting around DFW:

North Texas Multigun
ETTS
Triple C Range

You can also find local matches on Practiscore
Well considering I sold my AR, and it will be a while before I consider an intermediate caliber rifle again, I will probably stick to pistol shooting. I'll work on practicing with my TP9 as is. as far as a no wiggle holster goes, that may be more difficult/expensive. I don't see many molded for the TP9, especially my model, and what i have is either the stock holster or a clip on nylon holster from uncle mike's. I have magazine holders of different types. but I don't know what would work best.

The reason for the rubber was it went over the key-mod holes to make the grip easier on the hand. It would be either that, use a magazine grip technique, use a foregrip (more weight), or use shooter gloves. Its irrelevant now though.

This said, I don't know what is wrong with a 3x scope unless FOV becomes an issue with a variable scope. This is a little off topic, but I also kind of splurged a little at the last gun show and bought a 2 piece optic that has a mini-dot mounted on top of a powered 3x9. It's not name brand (cost me 200$) and it might not hold up, but It looked cool and I'm having fun just fiddling with it so I consider it worth it.
Hiker wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:01 am What ever you go to, follow these guidelines:
1 Be safe
2 have fun
3 shoot your guns
4 learn something from it
Do these guidelines in this order!!!!!

Notice I didn't say, "try to impress the big boys", or "try to win". There's always going to be somebody better than you. Don't get caught up in the "I have to have fancier equipment," or, "the guys won't think I'm cool," or "that woman will not think I'm tough and skilled enough." Once you get that stuff out of the way, you are ready to have some fun.
Thread #4 after #1 and repeat #1 a few times in there and I'll probably do it :rolleyes:

Honestly when I started this thread I wasn't expecting to be first, but I didn't know about the different categories. having limited and stock categories make entry a lot easier, and means i can save money for other fun stuff

I used Practiscore to find a local rimfire steel challenge match, about 30 minutes away, and I went to have a look. I was just curious. I wanted to see what it was about, perhaps talk to a few people. Now I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it.

I showed up, unprepared (didn't even think of taking my ear protection with me). It was not a huge crowd, but I gather they are just starting at this location and hopefully it will gain in popularity. They organize matches monthly. Regardless of the crowd size, these were very enthusiastic and friendly people. I talked to a few of them, including the organizer, and he offered me to give it a try. He lent me his S&W (a really nice race gun - didn't catch the exact model) and I ran through a stage. It was awesome ( :yahoo: ), and now I am hooked.

So I have a month before the next event. I have a Browning Buck Mark. It's a target model, but that should do to begin. I also need a rifle, and I will probably go with a Ruger 10/22, which I need to buy. Baby steps.

Just in case some of you are in my area, the organizing club was the Oxford Gun Club, in Oxford PA.