Would you enter a paper silhouette match this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm You may select 1 option

Yes
Total votes: 12 (100%)
No (No votes)
Wait until next season (No votes)
Total votes: 12

Silhouette match: Field Pistol

Match end date is extended until December 25. See post #67

I discussed this with Paco about a year and a half ago, and suggested we wait to do it in summer since the spirit of the thing really means shooting outside. I guess we both forgot about it last summer. Even I finally noticed that this is too much procrastination.

I don't want to crowd the schedule overly, since we also have the extra one-handed matches in the plan. The deadline in this proposal (September 30) could go later if needed. The start date could also be pushed back if we want to argue about rules for a bit. Tentative rules are attached.

No point in doing this unless at least half a dozen people want to play, so how do you vote?

PM me for the email address to submit scores.

LGC PHS match rules v1.0.pdf
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Last edited by Buck13 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Silhouette match

danhue wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm I'd do it too. I don't have access to an outside range (looking for one), but 25 yards, or the shorter distance accommodation should work indoors.
Sure, either way is fine. I just didn't want to do it when it was pouring rain and 42 degrees. Sillywet should be a warm weather sport, since Wikipedia says it was invented in Mexico!

Re: Silhouette match: Field Pistol

Merle wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am I'm in! I used to shoot both IHMSA and NRA pistol silhouette, before my eyes went south and my hand got wobbly. This will be like a reunion for me! :thumbup:
Oh, man! A ringer. (No pun intended) :lol: Are you going to use the dreaded "taco hold?"

Oh well, I know not *everybody* entering will get 40 out of 40, because I sure won't. :whistle:

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 pm I'm in. Don't expect much though, I don't shoot a lot past 50'. :-)
Wait, aren't you shooting a 10" MkII? That's a carbine that's lost its stock. They thrive on extra range!

I recommend trying a Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C 12" square target at 50 yards, mounted so it's rotated corners up/down and left/right. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how many shots you can keep on the target.

Buck13 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 am
MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 pm I'm in. Don't expect much though, I don't shoot a lot past 50'. :-)
Wait, aren't you shooting a 10" MkII? That's a carbine that's lost its stock. They thrive on extra range!

I recommend trying a Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C 12" square target at 50 yards, mounted so it's rotated corners up/down and left/right. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how many shots you can keep on the target.
It's true that I have a 10" MKII, but it's new (to me). I expect my groups will improve with more range time. Those paper turkeys better watch out!

CDFingers wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 am This match may be shot either indoors or outdoors, as long as you can get 25 yards, yes?
Yes. I just didn't want to shoot it indoors, or in the rain, myself.

For those who don't have convenient access to a 25 yard range, scaling the targets as described in the rules PDF is A-OK!