No competition and working on marksmanship

It's nice to have the opportunity to post something positive, fun and nonpolitical about guns for a change. Over the weekend, I got my 15 year old daughter out to do some plinking. She's shot with me a few times, limited to .22 and .17 rifles (she's never wanted to try the others). This time, I only had an AR with me. She watched me for a few magazines and then wanted in on the action. We went with one round per mag to avoid issues with double tapping until she got the hang of it. She shot off of some bags, then unsupported from the bench and then, stand up blam, blam, with five rounds in the magazine. Not bad shooting for the first time with something that has recoil and makes a big(ish) bang.

She then went on to blow some holes in a target with the old Mark II (only the second time she's shot a handgun). For the most part, she kept it on paper at about 7 yards.

When we were done, she said, "that was cool". As those of you with teenagers know, that's high praise! :yahoo:

Re: No competition and working on marksmanship

'That was cool' :yahoo: :yahoo:

High praise, indeed! :) What a satisfying outing. I can't wait to get my daughter involved, and though she's 10 she hasn't expressed interest in it yet. Great report and good job introducing the next generation of shooter. Sounds like she had an awesome time!

I'm with you about enjoying hearing about a positive, non-political gun thing. I hadn't been to the range in a while when I shot the latest Bullseye match this morning; with all the negative stuff and gun politics in the news, it's easy to forget what fun it is.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Re: No competition and working on marksmanship

According to their website, the range we use when we're in San Luis Obispo to visit my in-laws has a rimfire-only "Popgun Night" a few times a year. It would be nice if more places did that every month or two so you could take new shooters, particularly young ones, without the blast (and big, flying brass) of AR "pistols" and carbines, guns with comps and brakes, .300 Win Mags, .357 snubbies and other deafening, chest-thumping (literally and metaphorically) toys.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.