IDPA

Well, I did it. I joined IDPA with a 3 year membership.
My home range, Tri-Counties Gun Club in Sherwood OR, has monthly IDPA matches.
I went to the recent matches to watch and learn how it’s done. It seems like fun.
I’ll be taking part in the next match as an unclassified newbie. No match next month due to a big competition on the same day. So, I have until November to practice my run and gun moves. Pew pew pew!

Re: IDPA

Congrats. Let us know how it goes. I am myself taking baby steps into competition, with local steel challenge events. I have participated in only 2 so far. I like shooting at paper for the sake of precision, but action shooting is a lot of fun too.

danhue wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm Congrats. Let us know how it goes. I am myself taking baby steps into competition, with local steel challenge events. I have participated in only 2 so far. I like shooting at paper for the sake of precision, but action shooting is a lot of fun too.
Thank you. Baby steps here too.
I’ve heard more than one person say that Bullseye shooters tend to make good action shooters (though not the other way around).
The distances do seem laughably short compared to the 25/50 yards I’m used to, but then I have to draw and then shoot faster than 10 rounds in 10 minutes (slow fire), 5 rounds in 20 seconds (timed fire), and 5 rounds in 10 seconds (“rapid” fire). I just need to shift mental gears from aiming for a Perfect Shot to aiming for a Good Enough Shot. :thumbup:

In IDPA or USPSA action shooting, if you find yourself making tight groups in the middle of the A zone, you aren't shooting fast enough. It's all about the balance of speed and accuracy.

I've had fun shooting both disciplines for several years now. Different rules, different games. IDPA is fussier, but it got a lot less fussy a year or so ago when they got rid of some of their craziest rules.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I shoot IDPA at Tri-County as well. I have shot about 1/2 dozen matches there this year since I started. Super fun! Good group of people out there, and very helpful. Other than some 2A announcements, it has been apolitical.

There is a 5th Sunday match this month on 9/30, you could shoot that one. Feel free to DM me if you want to meet up at one of the matches.

Also, one thing they are very strict about is muzzle above the berm. This comes in to play mostly on reloads. Practice reloading and keeping the muzzle down. I had to retrain myself to reload this way.
IDPA - SSP/SS

Dave468 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:52 am I shoot IDPA at Tri-County as well. I have shot about 1/2 dozen matches there this year since I started. Super fun! Good group of people out there, and very helpful. Other than some 2A announcements, it has been apolitical.

There is a 5th Sunday match this month on 9/30, you could shoot that one. Feel free to DM me if you want to meet up at one of the matches.

Also, one thing they are very strict about is muzzle above the berm. This comes in to play mostly on reloads. Practice reloading and keeping the muzzle down. I had to retrain myself to reload this way.
Welcome to the forum, Dave468. DM sent.

UPDATE: I took part in my first match today in the CDP division using with my carry 1911. I didn’t do too badly at all. My time was slow since I was basically walking through the stages so as not to make any mistakes, but my scores were pretty good.
All zeroes and -1 scores, majority were zeroes. My Bulleye shooter emphasis on fundamentals training carried over and paid off, I think. I didn’t get DQed...whew! Only one procedural error on the first stage when I engaged the targets out of order (oops!) but otherwise no boo boos. Fun. I’m looking forward to the next one.

Better stock up on 9mm... or better yet, invest in a Dillon progressive press.

You are shooting 9mm, right?

What?!? 1911!?! Did you mortgage your house???
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Both Beaurrr and I reload and cast boolits. Imagine my surprise one day when Beaurrr bemoaned the realization that he could very nearly create two 9mm cartridges for every one .45 cal round (considering both lead and powder). I was shocked upon hearing his words. I had never made that connection before and here I thought I was the most Chinese guy in the room. Only later did I come to understand that was just his American way to rationalize a Beretta M9 to add a hitherto nonexistent 9mm autoloader to his collection. But for my sensitive Chinese sensibilities, I could never seem to let go of that knowledge; forget Beaurrr’ balance of the scales.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I’m a little late to the chat here, but do you fine folks still attend the matches? Have a friend been asking me to join. I’m a bit of a pistol novice so kind of wary of looking like a moron...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottpdxcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:51 am I’m a little late to the chat here, but do you fine folks still attend the matches? Have a friend been asking me to join. I’m a bit of a pistol novice so kind of wary of looking like a moron...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, you'll assuredly look like a moron....among the bevy of other morons trying to be tacti-cool while not breaking the 180 or shooting your toe off. There's skill involved with shoot and scooting that even the best IDPA participants can get wrong.

My advice is to find a place that does has some IDPA match-style events before even attempting to shoot a IDPA qualifier. I've been shooting for a couple of decades and I still dread IDPA qualifiers. Shooting paper at range at your own pace is MUCH different from shooting at designated targets/areas on the clock.

Everyone's been in your shoes at one time or another. If the club is worth a damn, the only comments you'll get will be helpful and encouraging.
LGC Texas - Vice President

I’ll be doing my first match March 2 at TGCC in Sherwood. I willl be glacially slow and probably not accurate but happy just to be there and focused on a safe, no dq match. I know I will improve with practice.
audite semper, semper discendum

RapidButterfly wrote:I’ll be doing my first match March 2 at TGCC in Sherwood. I willl be glacially slow and probably not accurate but happy just to be there and focused on a safe, no dq match. I know I will improve with practice.
Safe, no DQs should be your priorities. Get those down and THEN you can focus of time and scores.
LGC Texas - Vice President