What Book You Reading?

Reviews and discussions of books, TV, music, etc - firearm related or not.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: What Book You Reading?

#476 Post by spara » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm

First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#477 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:21 pm

shinzen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:41 pm
I do Goodreads as well, but haven't been great about doing reviews

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I just enjoy seeing what friends are reading, and over time learn which friends have interesting lists or reliable takes. I have one friend where we spread many of the same books, and seeing her star rating versus mine is always interesting.

On topic, I am reading 13 by Richard K Morgan right now.
audite semper, semper discendum

shinzen
Site Admin

#478 Post by shinzen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Currently reading Vesta Burning - An AI Assault Mission (Legends of the Sentience Wars Book 2)- Part of the MD Cooper universe. I'm a science fiction addict.

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#479 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm

shinzen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm
Currently reading Vesta Burning - An AI Assault Mission (Legends of the Sentience Wars Book 2)- Part of the MD Cooper universe. I'm a science fiction addict.
I’ll give that series a look.

I’m also a sci fi addict. Mostly feminist sci fi, as exemplified by LeGuin, Melissa Scott, CJ Cherryh, or Ann Leckie, or Yoon Ha Lee, but not always, as evidenced by my ongoing fascination with and occasional distaste for Richard K Morgan or Phillip Dick.

shinzen
Site Admin

#480 Post by shinzen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Fair warning, early books had terrible editing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#481 Post by senorgrand » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Eris wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Just got this. Not my normal reading fare, but my grandfather was in 8th air force. In fact, the the 4th person from the left in the photo (behind the lead man's right shoulder) may actually be my grandfather. It certainly looks like him, and he did say that the pilot who flew him over to England was a bit older, which matches this photo. Unfortunately, this is the only photo in the book with no description!
My grandfather helped keep enough women on the production line in Los Angeles to roll-out a B29 every day. He somehow came across a serial plate from a B29 after the war. I looked it up and have an original vintage picture of the nose art. I also know it took enemy fire over Japan, but survived the war.

I also met one of the shuttle pilots of B24s who took them into the European theater.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

Eris

#482 Post by Eris » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm

RapidButterfly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm
shinzen wrote:

I’m also a sci fi addict. Mostly feminist sci fi, as exemplified by LeGuin, Melissa Scott, CJ Cherryh, or Ann Leckie, or Yoon Ha Lee, but not always, as evidenced by my ongoing fascination with and occasional distaste for Richard K Morgan or Phillip Dick.
I love CJ Cherryh. The Pride of Chanur is one I always recommend because I like the idea of a first contact story told from the viewpoint of the aliens.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#483 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Haven’t read those yet. I do love the Foreigner series and have a few yet to go. The company war books are hit and miss for me.

shinzen
Site Admin

#484 Post by shinzen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 am

Eris wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm
RapidButterfly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm
shinzen wrote:

I love CJ Cherryh. The Pride of Chanur is one I always recommend because I like the idea of a first contact story told from the viewpoint of the aliens.
Ah yeah. The Pride of Chanur is one of my favorites. Haven't read that one in years.

HuckleberryFun
Loquacious

#485 Post by HuckleberryFun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver, by Grant Cunningham
821C1530-87B8-43F8-B5A9-16BFE33A5C3F.jpeg
ImageImage
I’m not your Sherpa, so find your own way and carry your own baggage.

7N6Wolf
Grizzled Veteran

#486 Post by 7N6Wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 am

I am getting close to finishing The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#487 Post by RapidButterfly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:45 am

Killing Commendatore, by Haruki Murakami

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#488 Post by spara » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:15 am

RapidButterfly wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:45 am
Killing Commendatore, by Haruki Murakami
On my list!

RMorr64
Helpful Contributor

#489 Post by RMorr64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Ludmyla Pavlachenko’s memoirs: Lady Death Stalin’s sniper

HuckleberryFun
Loquacious

#490 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 pm

The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderlands of the American Revolution, by Alan Taylor
Some of my ancestors are in this book. So is it history or genealogy?
488F2EAD-29D5-4FE0-A761-DE235A78CAE9.jpeg
488F2EAD-29D5-4FE0-A761-DE235A78CAE9.jpeg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
KIRKUS REVIEW
Pulitzer Prize–winning historian Taylor (American Colonies, 2001, etc.) turns in a grand tale “of mutual need and mutual suspicion” as Americans, Indians and the colonial powers vied for mastery of the 18th-century frontier.

His dramatis personae vast, Taylor here focuses on two men: the infamous Mohawk leader Joseph Brant and the lesser known American revolutionary Samuel Kirkland. Fellow students at a Connecticut boarding school, each fought the other when war came. The Mohawks took the British side not out of any love for an imagined mother country but as an expedient of sorts; by the time Kirkland and Brant first met, a great influx of Yankee settlers had overwhelmed the Algonquians of New England, “confining the survivors . . . in a landscape of colonial farms and commercial seaports,” and the independence-minded Mohawks, part of the Iroquois Confederation, had no illusions about their own fate given the land-hungry, westward-looking immigrant population. France’s surprisingly swift collapse following defeat in the Seven Years’ War meant that England was the default choice for protection, with the fox-in-the-henhouse nature of the colonial militia and the Iroquois’ misgivings over “the ability of the untrained and poorly equipped Patriots to compete with the superior discipline and arms of the British regulars.” Kirkland, a minister who came to believe that “the Christian religion was not designed for Indians,” and his fellow frontier colonists, proved a tough enough foe, and in all events, Brant was distracted by the constant need to convince the British that the Indians were not pawns, but “distinct allies, separate and equal.” No such understanding ensued. The British were defeated, and Brant’s followers went into exile in Canada shamefaced but with their suspicions confirmed: In no time, the Yankees had overwhelmed the Iroquois, too, backed by a new government that, unlike Britain’s, “was more solicitous of squatters’ votes than Indians’ rights.”

Illuminating and evenhanded; a sturdy companion to Fred Anderson’s The War That Made America (2005) and other recent studies of the colonial and postcolonial frontier.
ImageImage
I’m not your Sherpa, so find your own way and carry your own baggage.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#491 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

"Mycroft & Sherlock" by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, his second in the series. Yup, that KAJ...he's a marvelous writer.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#492 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 am

“Only Human,” by Sylvain Neuvel, last of the Themis trilogy involving ....I guess you could call it a slightly brainy and well educated Voltron for grown ups. So, aliens and giant robots, but interesting concepts in genetics, alien technology and languages, etc. not overly complex, but a good palate cleanser.

RapidButterfly
Helpful Contributor

#493 Post by RapidButterfly » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm

“A bad deal for the whole galaxy,” by Alex White

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

#494 Post by SailDesign » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Just started "Swallows and Amazons" for the 579th time, having watched the start of the latest movie of that name, and must now wash the taste out of my mind. They didn't just ruin it, they murdered it.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

Bullitt68
Verified Member
Verified Member

#495 Post by Bullitt68 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Currently reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, again after like 30 years. Last one was Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey. Great adventurist writer. Lived in Oracle ,AZ and passed away several years ago. Went an bought out all his books from a used bookstore.
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

wooglin
Been around awhile

#496 Post by wooglin » Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Bullitt68 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm
Currently reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, again after like 30 years. Last one was Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey. Great adventurist writer. Lived in Oracle ,AZ and passed away several years ago. Went an bought out all his books from a used bookstore.
Good timing. Pretty sure I know what Abbey would say (and do) about all this “illegal to protest a pipeline” nonsense.

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#497 Post by spara » Sat May 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Bullitt68
Verified Member
Verified Member

#498 Post by Bullitt68 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm

wooglin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm
Bullitt68 wrote:
Good timing. Pretty sure I know what Abbey would say (and do) about all this “illegal to protest a pipeline” nonsense.
Motivational reading! LOL
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#499 Post by MaxWyatt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm reading the Golden Compass series. Intended initially just to pre-screen it before the kids get to it, but I'm really enjoying it. It tackles theological issues in a pretty interesting way.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#500 Post by Bisbee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Bullitt68 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm
wooglin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm
Bullitt68 wrote:
Motivational reading! LOL
I just finished this:

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi