The Blues

I was lucky enough to see B.B. King play live a little more than a year before his death and I will never forget it. I have seen Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, and Tab Benoit, as well. All of which were fantastic!

Someday, I plan to see Joe Bonamassa, but tickets are nigh impossible to get!

For those not familiar, Joe Bonamassa is arguably the best living Blues Rock Guitarist in the world (and certainly the most prolific). I daresay that he even surpasses the late great SRV himself!

Any other Blues fans in the house? Oh, and here's a little Joe for ya! Enjoy!

Re: The Blues

Thorian wrote:I was lucky enough to see B.B. King play live a little more than a year before his death and I will never forget it. I have seen Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, and Tab Benoit, as well. All of which were fantastic!

For those not familiar, Joe Bonamassa is arguably the best living Blues Rock Guitarist in the world (and certainly the most prolific). I daresay that he even surpasses the late great SRV himself!

I love crunchy guitars, but I've only recently started getting into Blues music. I'm not familiar with Joe Bonamassa, but I love Gary Clark Jr. and Derek Trucks. Live blues is really has to be experienced.
Do you believe in unlikelihoods?

Bucolic wrote:In 1972, I saw BB King AND Muddy Waters in concert. I was too young to appreciate the genius of what I was experiencing.
Oooh! Muddy Waters. He's on my "wish I coulda" list, along with Stevie Ray.

Derek Trucks is great. He and his wife (Susan Tedeschi) have a band together now. It's more of a low key blues based jam band. Good stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Saw BB a time or two, among others. I like listening to blues soloists and blues vocalists. After a few beers I'm more easily pleased.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I saw Kenny Wayne Shepard a few years back open for someone, might have been Kid Rock.

If you like a blend of blues and southern rock, check out The Steepwater Band. They are from Chicago but tour nation wide.

The Funky Butt Brass Band out of Saint Louis are terrific but they mainly stay in Saint Louis and go to New Orleans a couple times a year.

Back in the early 60's, when I was in my early 20's, at the same time I had a law enforcement job with the state, I managed some jazz groups and did booking for the Jazz Workshop on Broadway in San Francisco. Despite my youth I was able to pull off this somewhat schizophrenic existence. The only problem I had was with bassist Charlie Mingus who only showed up with drummer Danny Richmond who was always so stoned he was in constant danger of falling off the stage. Janie Getz filled in on piano and was terrified by Mingus who was a miserable bastard to anyone who played with him. To this day, bassist Richard Davis is still one of my closest friends.

In the early 80's I went to downtown Chicago's Grant Bandshell to hear a free lawn concert performed by BB King. He was as good as his reputation, meaning very very good. Girlfriend Catherine and I enjoyed it hugely. When it was done we got on the EL (subway to most of you) to go back to her place in Evanston.

Crap, on the train ran into the other woman I was dating. What are the odds of that? Yeah, a true blues experience. And it cost me and taught me. If I were a musician I would make a song of it. :oops
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Thorian wrote:I was lucky enough to see B.B. King play live a little more than a year before his death and I will never forget it. I have seen Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, and Tab Benoit, as well. All of which were fantastic!

If this guy is who I think he is, my wife and I saw him along with Kid Dynamite at Kingston Mines in Chicago about 17 years ago.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I saw BB numerous times when I worked at FedEx in Memphis, down on Beale Street. His club is still there, a great venue for Blues in general. I would not be on Beale Street much later than midnite. Tends to get a bit dicey after that.

"Blues" comes from the blue notes, those which fall between the keys on the piano. We can get these notes by bending strings on the guitar, but using the lips on all woodwinds, we can do it with the voice, but we can't do it with the piano. Blues grew out of jazz, America's classical music, which grew out of work songs, cries and hollers of slaves as they worked. Jazz can be traced back to Storyville outside NoLO, which of course was the "entertainment" district where Red Light Houses all had piano players. They played "swing" and "stride" piano, which got its name from the alternating left hand in the bass. This gave way to alternating bass in many types of music. Jazz is uniquely American as is the Blues. My guitar playing as regards the Blues tends to Mississippi Riverboat fingerstyle guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyville,_New_Orleans

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Thorian wrote:I know, I know. SRV is God. I agree. Joe is still making music, though, and that gives him extra points.

He may not be Stevie reborn, but he's definitely in the same league.

I remember when the tube walls had "Clapton is God" on them... Stevie is certainly in that class.... Joe B. Is an accomplished musician... Decidedly... Technically... Absolutely.... He'll get the feels eventually. Count on it....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thorian wrote:I know, I know. SRV is God. I agree. Joe is still making music, though, and that gives him extra points.

He may not be Stevie reborn, but he's definitely in the same league.

If we're talking about someone still making music I think we have to include Eric Clapton. Aside from being the supreme stylist I'm pretty certain he knows what the blues is all about when one thinks about all those friends who have fallen by the wayside; Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, SRV, George Harrison...not to mention the years of drug and alcohol addictions. The man is a true survivor.

Yeah, Clapton is one of my all time favorites. No doubt. So is Buddy Guy and for very different reasons.

I don't play, but I absolutely love guitar. Anything from Classical to Metal. Blues is by far my favorite, because it... feels good. I'm one of the lucky people that can feel music. I know people that simply do not feel it and I'm bummed for them.

HuckleberryFun wrote:Among the things you discover in middle age:
It's OK if you don't like jazz. Really, you don't have to pretend anymore. ;)
(I like some jazz of the smokey club variety. Eddie Harris, anyone?)
I've grown to appreciate the right tile of jazz. But still can't stand the blues. I think it is the fans that put me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Paladin wrote:I've grown to appreciate the right tile of jazz. But still can't stand the blues. I think it is the fans that put me off.
Hey! I resemble that remark.

What bugs you about Blues fans? They seem pretty ordinary to me. The Blues doesn't inspire Parrot Head or Juggalo style fans or anything.