Rebellion

Reviews and discussions of books, TV, music, etc - firearm related or not.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Rebellion

Post by HuckleberryFun »

A Sundance series now showing on Netflix set during the Irish rebellion of 1916. It goes into granular detail about how the Easter Rising was planned and executed. Many of the buildings where stands were made still exist and were filmed at the actual locations. Scenes of Feinian snipers shooting at English soldiers from windows were depicted with reasonable realism (firing from far back in the room and not sticking your muzzle out the window like in most movies). Many of the principle people of the Rebellion are featured.The Irish lassies were some of the hardest fighters, and one of them carries the same Model of 1911 that I have through the streets if Dublin shooting her English oppressors with smuggled American .45 persuasion. I enjoyed that.

Now in it’s second season.

ImageImage
I’m not your Sherpa, so find your own way and carry your own baggage.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Rebellion

Post by K9s »

Is it a series? Sounds good!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

K9s wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 pm
Is it a series? Sounds good!
Five episodes per season, so ten episodes in all. Does that count as a series or a mini-series? Yeah, it’s pretty good. First episode is all character development and plot development, but in episode 2 the shooting starts and the General Post Office is occupied. Some of the character relationships are trite, such as the posh girl forced to marry a man she doesn’t love but the rebellion saves her from that fate, etc, but oh well... Here is another trailer:

ImageImage

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

I guess they have to add some of that stuff or few people would watch?
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

RTE is the government broadcaster in Ireland like BBC in Britain, CBC in Canada.... "Rebellion" is the first series followed by "Resistance". 1916 was a senseless rebellion occupying the GPO and Four Courts, they were never going to defeat the British Army, but it did rob the British Army of men and resources during WW I. Michael Collins and his intelligence apparatus and his Squad that was responsible for assassinations.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

highdesert wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 am
RTE is the government broadcaster in Ireland like BBC in Britain, CBC in Canada.... "Rebellion" is the first series followed by "Resistance". 1916 was a senseless rebellion occupying the GPO and Four Courts, they were never going to defeat the British Army, but it did rob the British Army of men and resources during WW I. Michael Collins and his intelligence apparatus and his Squad that was responsible for assassinations.
“One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.”
In Ireland these people are heroes.
ImageImage

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm
A Sundance series now showing on Netflix set during the Irish rebellion of 1916.

<snip!>

The Irish lassies were some of the hardest fighters, and one of them carries the same Model of 1911 that I have through the streets if Dublin shooting her English oppressors with smuggled American .45 persuasion. I enjoyed that.
Having worked in London during the US-financed IRA bombing campaign in the mid-70's, I cannot understand why that would be enjoyable to anyone. Yes, I have hear the "crump" as a bomb went off - in an area that I was heading for (computer engineer for various banks in those days, lots of walking through central London)

Just cannot understand the "I enjoyed that..." Ever. I know it was a different time, but it doesn't matter.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 am
highdesert wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 am
“One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.”
In Ireland these people are heroes.
Walking through Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin, there are the graves and monuments to those killed in the wars. Michael Collins was the genius who pushed the British to the negotiating table, through his extensive intelligence network and targeted assassinations. The Squad and their assassination teams put fear into the British, the high point was Bloody Sunday. Collins died too young, Ireland would have advanced much quicker if he had lived. I grew up on the old stories and then you start reading well written history books. I am enjoying the RTE series.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

SailDesign wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am
HuckleberryFun wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm
A Sundance series now showing on Netflix set during the Irish rebellion of 1916.

<snip!>

The Irish lassies were some of the hardest fighters, and one of them carries the same Model of 1911 that I have through the streets if Dublin shooting her English oppressors with smuggled American .45 persuasion. I enjoyed that.
Having worked in London during the US-financed IRA bombing campaign in the mid-70's, I cannot understand why that would be enjoyable to anyone. Yes, I have hear the "crump" as a bomb went off - in an area that I was heading for (computer engineer for various banks in those days, lots of walking through central London)

Just cannot understand the "I enjoyed that..." Ever. I know it was a different time, but it doesn't matter.
Because the Irish in Ireland were the good guys fighting centuries of oppression and exploitation by the British bad guys.
They were fighting for their own country in their own country. What the IRA did in another country decades later is not relevant to what we are talking about here. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, and I do not agree with what the IRA did much later, but you are conflating two different times and different situations. I enjoyed seeing the same model of pistol that I have depicted on screen in the same way you might enjoy a violent western scene depicting a Old Timey firearm that you might possess. Also, like everyone does watching any movie, I enjoy watching the good guys be kick-ass on screen.
That is all I meant.
ImageImage

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:25 pm
Because the Irish in Ireland were the good guys fighting centuries of oppression and exploitation by the British bad guys.
They were fighting for their own country in their own country. What the IRA did in another country decades later is not relevant to what we are talking about here. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, and I do not agree with what the IRA did much later, but you are conflating two different times and different situations. I enjoyed seeing the same model of pistol that I have depicted on screen in the same way you might enjoy a violent western scene depicting a Old Timey firearm that you might possess. Also, like everyone does watching any movie, I enjoy watching the good guys be kick-ass on screen.
That is all I meant.
What the IRA did decades later in the country of their oppressor (who had left them most of their country as independent, by the way) IS relevant, as it was fed by private donations from Irish citizens of the USA. My grandmother in RI was asked for donations while I lived in London.

The fact that you "enjoyed" watching real people getting shot is, I'm afraid, not to my taste. Fiction is one thing - docudramas are another. Do not confuse the two - those people had families and friends and were not responsible in the most part for the oppression any more than a current American citizen is responsible for slavery.

Cannot agree.

ImageImageImage

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

SailDesign wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:30 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:25 pm
That is all I meant.
What the IRA did decades later in the country of their oppressor (who had left them most of their country as independent, by the way) IS relevant, as it was fed by private donations from Irish citizens of the USA. My grandmother in RI was asked for donations while I lived in London.

The fact that you "enjoyed" watching real people getting shot is, I'm afraid, not to my taste. Fiction is one thing - docudramas are another. Do not confuse the two - those people had families and friends and were not responsible in the most part for the oppression any more than a current American citizen is responsible for slavery.

Cannot agree.
I do not agree with your worldview or your estimation of my character based on what movies I like, and I have no interest in trying to change either. Moving on.
ImageImage

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

England and later Britain, exploited and abused Ireland for centuries. The period of the series through about 1925 in Ireland is a different time than The Troubles in the 1960s and later. Britain's war on Ireland including the Black and Tans were met with IRB/Fenian/IRA bombings and assassinations. Even when the 26 counties (minus the 6 northern counties) were given self government called the Irish Free State (later the Republic) under the Treaty, the British created and then ignored the six northern counties (Northern Ireland) which was part of the UK and became the festering mess that led to The Troubles. The various wings of the IRA was never going to unify Ireland using paramilitary tactics in Nor Ireland and in England. The Good Friday Agreement helped, one piece was that Britain abolished the corrupt Royal Ulster Constabulary and created a new more integration police service. The Irish Problem is now at the heart of Brexit, it's the open border between Nor Ireland and the Republic and the "backstop" that has divided the UK parliament for months.

I remember 1970s Britain with IRA bombings and I remember being searched before going into hotels, government buildings and museums in London.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

highdesert wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:14 pm
England and later Britain, exploited and abused Ireland for centuries. The period of the series through about 1925 in Ireland is a different time than The Troubles in the 1960s and later. Britain's war on Ireland including the Black and Tans were met with IRB/Fenian/IRA bombings and assassinations. Even when the 26 counties (minus the 6 northern counties) were given self government called the Irish Free State (later the Republic) under the Treaty, the British created and then ignored the six northern counties (Northern Ireland) which was part of the UK and became the festering mess that led to The Troubles. The various wings of the IRA was never going to unify Ireland using paramilitary tactics in Nor Ireland and in England. The Good Friday Agreement helped, one piece was that Britain abolished the corrupt Royal Ulster Constabulary and created a new more integration police service. The Irish Problem is now at the heart of Brexit, it's the open border between Nor Ireland and the Republic and the "backstop" that has divided the UK parliament for months.

I remember 1970s Britain with IRA bombings and I remember being searched before going into hotels, government buildings and museums in London.
Now imagine you're a computer engineer, carrying a large black briefcase full of intricate PC boards and tools (we actually had mechanical keyboards back then!) and try getting past the "copper on every corner" who was searching anyone with a large bag.

Huck - I don't expect you to change, I just expect you to understand my view that "enjoying" watching someone kill people just because they have the same pistol as you is so far outside my moral compass that I just cannot understand you saying it.

ImageImageImage

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

SailDesign wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm
highdesert wrote:

Now imagine you're a computer engineer, carrying a large black briefcase full of intricate PC boards and tools (we actually had mechanical keyboards back then!) and try getting past the "copper on every corner" who was searching anyone with a large bag.

Huck - I don't expect you to change, I just expect you to understand my view that "enjoying" watching someone kill people just because they have the same pistol as you is so far outside my moral compass that I just cannot understand you saying it.
I showed this conversation to my hubby of 28 years, who is a Buddhist, studied with Thich Nhat Hanh, and is prone to saying things like “I cant stand violence for the sake of violence”. We just watched another episode of Rebellion together, which is violent at times, but it is integral-to-plot driven violence set in an historical context that sits just fine with HIS moral compass. He asked me “so he REALLY said *moral compass*?” and came as close to an eye roll as I’ve ever seen him do. That eye roll almost made this exchange worth it.
:thanks:

Just remember that there is always going to be someone out there who thinks *your* moral compass is lacking proper direction. And so it goes...
ImageImage

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm
SailDesign wrote:
highdesert wrote:

I showed this conversation to my hubby of 28 years, who is a Buddhist, studied with Thich Nhat Hanh, and is prone to saying things like “I cant stand violence for the sake of violence”. We just watched another episode of Rebellion together, which is violent at times, but it is integral-to-plot driven violence set in an historical context that sits just fine with HIS moral compass. He asked me “so he REALLY said *moral compass*?” and came as close to an eye roll as I’ve ever seen him do. That eye roll almost made this exchange worth it.

Just remember that there is always going to be someone out there who thinks *your* moral compass is lacking proper direction. And so it goes...
Huck, if you hadn't said "I enjoyed that" right after describing someone going down the street shooting people, I'd have let it go without a murmur.

And my wife of 43 years agrees with me.

Shall we just leave it there?

ImageImageImage

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

SailDesign wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:49 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm
SailDesign wrote:
highdesert wrote:

Huck, if you hadn't said "I enjoyed that" right after describing someone going down the street shooting people, I'd have let it go without a murmur.

And my wife of 43 years agrees with me.

Shall we just leave it there?
Yes.
ImageImage

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

Irish director Neil Jordan made the film "Michael Collins" in 1996. In general it's good, but there are historical inaccuracies. The big screen often shows the realities of war better than the small box. General (later Field Marshal) Sir Henry Wilson who directed Britain's war in Ireland was later assassinated by the IRA.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Michael_Collins

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

Still the national heroes of Ireland. Even today, Irish children enjoy reading about the Rebellion and looking at pictures of historical figures holding and using period firearms. “Ireland's Own is a family magazine published weekly in Ireland.” —Wikipedia
545201E6-48BB-4FF0-9340-7ED758FDE95A.jpeg
ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

In Ireland "Republican" has a far different and far more accurate meaning--diametrically opposite from American ReThugs.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:47 pm
In Ireland "Republican" has a far different and far more accurate meaning--diametrically opposite from American ReThugs.
:yes:
ImageImage

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Birth of a nation don’t have the same implications there neither