Air Rifle Suggestions

Air guns are no longer just toys - discuss your air gun fetish here.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Mason

Re: Air Rifle Suggestions

Post by Mason »

The 34 is good too. Hatsan 95 vortex gas spring.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

Mason

Post by Mason »

Corpsman vantage Nitro. $100
-Melissa G.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Nice -- that might be a good jumping-off point!

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Make sure you check local laws. I can't fire one of those in my yard here. I considered one during the last 22LR drought/panic, though.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

I paced my side yard -- 60' long and it goes into a 6' high berm.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

senorgrand wrote:I paced my side yard -- 60' long and it goes into a 6' high berm.
If there's no local restrictions against it, I'd say you're good to go for a backyard pellet range :)

Reactive targets can also be fun for pellets. As a kid I used to use these old circular stove covers that my mom didn't need anymore. They were originally coated in some sort of ceramic which quickly wore off, but I'd spray paint them every so often.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

So, I looked-up "artillery hold." That sucks because I was thinking I could practice shooting with a sling, which you apparently can't do with a springer.

So, I either need an affordable PCP/pump setup or a good multi-pump rifle if I'm going to shoot with a sling.

Inquisitor
Site Admin

Post by Inquisitor »

Daisy makes an entry level 10 meter single pump pneumatic.

Mason

Post by Mason »

Just learn to shoot it without a sling. I think you’re a huge dude and all the weight in a springer is in the stock. Learn the modified freestyle sitting position. It’s super accurate, no sling required and if you tighten up your grip works really well for powder burners, too. A very good position in the field. Look up Field Target Shooting.
-Melissa G.

TxChinaman
Chatty

Post by TxChinaman »

I "confiscated" a .177 Gamo Silver Shadow 1000 springer air rifle from my dad late last year. I cleaned it up and zeroed the iron sights when I got it home, mostly because it bothers me to have any type of firearm in the house that has not been recently zeroed, even an air rifle. I was impressed by the consistent accuracy. I also quickly realized that a .177 pellet at 1000 fps is no joke. At the time I thought: why shoot an air rifle when I can shoot my real rifles at the range any time I want?

I dusted off the Gamo on Sunday and did some careful shooting for accuracy. Maximum available distance of my set up is 75 feet, and I was getting okay results with the iron sights. The 3-9 x 32 air rifle scope I ordered arrived yesterday and I got it mounted last night. Apparently the recoil pulse of powerful air rifles can mess up a scope made for use on rifles, so make sure any optic you purchase is rated for air rifles. Weather permitting, I hope to get the scope dialed in this afternoon.

https://www.pyramydair.com/article/Gamo ... ly_2007/43

The Gamo Shadow is no longer in production, but I believe they have something similar in their current line up. It's a barrel break model which actually requires a bit of force to cock it. Keep in mind for this type of air rifle if you have issues with wrist or shoulder.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

Like many things, if I have one, I have several. Might I suggest going in a different direction for your first one? A Daisy Buck could be had before the lockdown for under $20. You can get something on Amazon now for $25. You can't hunt with it, but it's a lever action or pump action repeater. I made a reactive target with a big box and hung a bunch of aluminum cans from the top on a piece of string. It's amazing how fast you can cut a can in half with a BB gun.

I have three Bucks, although two are getting loaned out today to people who need backyard recreation.

I also have a Crosman pump pistol .177 (600fps) which is pretty cool. A Daisy Powerline 856 (670fps) and a Crosman Nitro Piston rifle (about 1000fps). The recommendations here are all from people way more knowledgeable than I am. Those airguns are much nicer than anything I have.

However, if you want to plink, a cheap BB repeater is hard to beat. I had to dig out the other guns just now to check the models, but the Daisy Buck lives right next to my office desk, where I can shoot it daily. In fact, I think I'll shoot it now.