Ruger Air Magnum

Air guns are no longer just toys - discuss your air gun fetish here.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Antiquus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Ruger Air Magnum

Post by Antiquus »

Got this for Christmas, in .22, I knew it was a Umarex made in China, but from what I could tell it seemed to be a good value, originally over $300 and now was under $150, so the daughters with one abstention (got dinner gift card instead) decided to go with it.

It came with one screw for the scope missing, so I couldn't install the scope yet - it's a cheap 4x, but really not too bad, about what I use on my .22 autoloader. It does have a nice little 3 dot using light pipes that amazingly with the small amount of light available outside (a 22w fluorescent 10' away) was very good at capturing available light.

I got this to deal with continuing raccoon problems, we've already lost one cat to the bastards, and I'm pretty fed up. But it's hard to shoot them without raising alarm in the neighborhood since the neighbor behind us dispatched one with a 12 gauge about 3am one morning. So quiet, that's the ticket....

After being out of town since Christmas, and being too engaged otherwise to get to the range, I decided to try a couple of rounds at a tree in the neighborhood. It's 32°, 10pm and everyone is inside with the TV running or asleep, so doubtful will upset anybody. It's rated at 1200fps, so meh that's probably using 10gr pellets, I'll use 21gr and besides this cold the air is dense and the speed of sound is higher. What Could Go Wrong?

So loading it up - Holy Shit this thing has a long barrel and it's still about 50lbs pull, damn that is some significant power.... Load a pellet, take aim...CRACK...Holyshitwtfwasthat... And Damn does the spring in this thump....

So it might slow a little after 100 rounds or so through it, or I could try the nuke option and use 32gr pellets but damn....

In any event, it's surprisingly powerful.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Mason

Re: Ruger Air Magnum

Post by Mason »

Google "artillery hold". Buy a pellet sampler and use it up breaking in the rifle while finding what pellet it shoots accurately. A big springer will generally take five hundred or so shots to break in. Never put oil in the air port! Never run a cleaning rod down the barrel.

As you note 1200fps for .22 springer is likely wildly overstated. 7-800 with normal weight pellets is likely closer to the mark.

If the scope mount is not a one piece don't even bother with it. Buy a Leapers one piece. If there is no scope stop hole in the rear of the reciever, drill one or you will never get the mount to stay.

Even with my .25 cal PCP and 31 grain pellets moving along around 800 fps it generally takes at least two shots for a raccoon. The first will generally anchor them but follow ups are need so be ready.

Good luck!

ETA: I see it has a pica tinny rail. Still buy a one piece mount. You can skip drilling the receiver. :)
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Inquisitor
Site Admin

Post by Inquisitor »

I have an Air Hawk in 177. The recoil and noise was indeed a surprise at first, as was that spring mechanism. It puts lead on target at range though, and its a heavy SOB. I like it.

Antiquus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Antiquus »

I'll look for a one piece, but I may never bother with the scope. Looking at the gun, the barrel is always going to droop, and accuracy will be only at the distance I sight in and nowhere else - ballistic arc compounded with a large difference in scope-barrel angle. I suppose I could shim the back of the scope up, but then I'm depending on the mechanism to repeat position, and I don't have much confidence it will within 10 minutes of arc. So the open sights are on the barrel, the best approach I think.

I was skeptical about velocity until I pulled the trigger. Getting an audible crack out of the gun that sounded like a .22 - means >I think< this thing hit 1100fps. Is there any other reason? I mean there's mechanism noise - the piston hitting the stop, then there's a crack that seems to be some distance from the gun. Next time I doing chrono work this thing is going along.

I went over to the SIL's and checked out his two springers (love that term), one of them a .177 Ruger similar to mine, and the cocking pressures weren''t half what this thing needs.

Great video on Artillery Hold, makes perfect sense.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Mason

Post by Mason »

I guess it could be going supersonic but that is usually bad for accuracy with air rifles. It could also be that the rifle is "Dieseling"- the compression created by the piston is causing oil in the cylinder to combust. Often one is the result of the other and neither condition are good for the gun or accuracy.

Or this could be that this is a rifle I know nothing about even with the extensive amount of time I have spent shooting and tuning springers.

If it really is capable of those velocities with standard weight pellets I would buy an assortment of the heaviest pellets I could find and try to trade speed for energy and stealth. Shoot it a bunch and you'll figure it out.

Pyramyd air sells a one piece "Drooper" mount if you decide you want to mess with the scope.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

Umm - having a scope receiver-mounted on a break-barrel air gun is like mounting the red-dot sight to your hand, then hoping the gun follows along.

:D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

Mason

Post by Mason »

SailDesign wrote:Umm - having a scope receiver-mounted on a break-barrel air gun is like mounting the red-dot sight to your hand, then hoping the gun follows along.

Not really.

-John Cleese

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

Mason wrote:
SailDesign wrote:Umm - having a scope receiver-mounted on a break-barrel air gun is like mounting the red-dot sight to your hand, then hoping the gun follows along.

Not really.
It's fine when the gun is new, and you're not putting much stress on it - but when that detent wears even just a little, or the pivot screw loosens a hair, it just makes the scope so much dead weight.

ImageImageImage

Mason

Post by Mason »

I still have to disagree. I have a Chinese springer with well over ten thousand pellets through it that still shoots to its 20 yd bullseye. I don't think I've touched the scope in three years.

You must be used to old British guns or something. ;)

-John Cleese

nigel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by nigel »

Mason wrote:I still have to disagree. I have a Chinese springer with well over ten thousand pellets through it that still shoots to its 20 yd bullseye. I don't think I've touched the scope in three years.

What pellets does it like? I have a Chinese springer that won't shoot straight for love nor money.
ImageImageImage
Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

Mason

Post by Mason »

Beeman Kodiaks or H&N Barracudas. It is a magnum shooting the heavy pellets around 760fps. I find Beeman pellets to be the best and they have many choices in weight and shape. I would also urge you to study the artillery hold technique if you have not yet, Nigel. It's quite different from what you use when shooting a powder burning rifle.

-John Cleese

nigel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by nigel »

I had heard about the loose hold, but never really practiced it. I gave up on it because I have a Sheridan pump-up pneumatic that is a joy to shoot.
I'll have to dig the springer out again and see if I can improve with it.
ImageImageImage
Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

Mason wrote:I still have to disagree. I have a Chinese springer with well over ten thousand pellets through it that still shoots to its 20 yd bullseye. I don't think I've touched the scope in three years.

BSA :p

It was great at first, but as it loosened up it turned to crap. After I got a longer-eye-relief scope and cobbled it onto the barrel itself, it was always just fine.

I would say you have been lucky. :)

ImageImageImage