Re: What did you reload today?

Over the last week:
30 rounds of 6.5x55 with 140gr ELD-M over a ladder of Accurate 22
30 rounds of 6.5dx55 with 140gr ELD-M over a ladder of Magpro
250 rounds of .45 ACP with 230gr RN over 4.4gr titegroup
250 rounds of 9mm with 115gr RN plated over 4.2gr titegroup

Need to do more 9mm to lighten my box of 9mm brass. Probably going to go get more berry's at Cabellas and maybe order some coated to try out while I have the progressive press set up.

150 rounds of 8x57...200gr Nosler custom competition/FNM brass/CCI 200 primer/IMR 4064.

150 rounds of 7.65x53...174 gr SMK/Prvi brass/CCI 200 primer/IMR 4320

I use these loads in these rifles (A 98/29 Persian Mauser on top, a 1909 Argentine Mauser below) at the military silhouette match.

Both shoot about 1 MOA with reloads...

The Ayatollah (8x57) @ 300 yards

The Gaucho (7.65x53) @ 220 yards

eelj wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am Mustang those rifles shoot as nice as they look.
Thanks, eelj.

Handloading really helps bring out the accuracy in these rifles. I shot a few Prvi Partizan 174 gr 7.65x53 factory rounds on the same day that I tested my handloads...not even close.

The Prvi at 220 yards:

The handloads at the same distance:

My sons and I shoot these at the Sac Valley Shooting center, east of Sacramento.

https://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=38.44 ... orm=LMLTCC

The monthly Vintage Military Silhouette match involves 10 rounds @chicken silhouettes @ 220 yards, 10 rounds at pigs @ 330 yards, 10 rounds at turkeys @420 yards, and 10 rounds at rams @550 yds. My sons shoot "as issued" Swiss rifles with iron sights. I sometimes use my Swiss 96/11 with the irons, but also shoot these beauties in the "open" class (otherwise "as issued", with a scope) often. I've shot a few 39/40 scores with both of them.

50 rounds of 327. First effort with this stuff. 6.1 gr of Longshot over 100 gr RNFPs from Acme. 25 coated, 25 just hard cast.

Should be a pretty light load for caliber.

Reloading Federal brass. I guess the primer pockets are crimped or something, because that part was not as smooth as I'd like. Some Starline brass is on the way.
arewefun175.gif
arewefun175.gif (15.62 KiB) Viewed 6120 times

wooglin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm 50 rounds of 327. First effort with this stuff. 6.1 gr of Longshot over 100 gr RNFPs from Acme. 25 coated, 25 just hard cast.

Should be a pretty light load for caliber.

Reloading Federal brass. I guess the primer pockets are crimped or something, because that part was not as smooth as I'd like. Some Starline brass is on the way.
Another 100 rounds. Starline brass took primers much better.
Attachments
2A942187-9272-4C31-8EA2-40D8AC383977.jpeg

Reloaded 300 rounds of 9mm. 115gr FMJ over 4.3gr of titegroup. Managed to load and catch my first no charge.

I usually check every 5th cartridge for powder load. The last time I did it this time around I got what I expected and didn't put the charge back in the case. As I was putting the rounds into containers I looked up and noticed powder in my scale. I took the container I was loading and measured each round, they ended up at either ~184gr or ~176gr. I found one, however, that was at 172gr. Once I'd segregated all my new rounds I pulled the bullet in the lowbie and sure enough it had no powder, squib averted.

Whilst hanging around the house so the Sprinkler Guy can do his thing, I’m at the reloading bench cranking out some new 45acp target loads for my Bullseye Pistol. I’ve put the heavier red dot on it (Aimpoint 9000sc) so swapping springs and loads to accommodate having to cycle the now heavier slide.
The superior optics of the 9000sc over the Aimpoint Micro H1 make it worth it. Usual standard max load would be 3.7 grains of Bullseye Powder, but the extra weight of the gun makes the heavier load feel light. The old H1 with Kodiak mount pictured below next to the new configuration.

New formula: 185gr SWC, 4.2gr Bullseye Powder, .466 crimp, Winchester large pistol primers.
AE004C0D-8890-4BD4-8C75-1861A0D3921A.jpeg
7DBAA912-A8D9-447A-88CB-417F9533402B.jpeg

I haven't loaded pistol ammo in quite a while. Been chewing through my stocks and just skipping guns I was low on ammo for.

Today I loaded a bunch of 45 Colt stinkers because I don't shoot my Redhawk enough. I finally dug out the bag of good one-headstamp 38 brass and loaded a bunch of wadcutter target stuff. Then, I set up the dedicated 357 machine and cranked several hundred Trail Boss/Bear Creek 125 special/mag loads. Gonna leave that one set up for a while and just crank a few hundred a few times a week until I run out of one component or another.

I loaded .32 S&W Long with Hollow Based Wadcutters on a new Dillon XL650. This is very different from any other pistol hand loading I have ever done. All of the Lead I've loaded in the past was Round Nose or Semi-wadcutter. For Lead projectiles in the past, I have favored hard projectiles, but here I am choosing dead soft. The cases loaded are either not sized or minimally sized. The case necks are expanded to be right at bullet diameter, down to where the base of the projectile is, such that much of the projectile seating is by manually pressing it most of the way into the case. The press pushes it in the last little bit, then the press crimps the the mouth to hold it in place.

For new brass, the expander takes a good bit of effort to run into the case, and even more to pull it out. I tried not using spray lube on the cases (inside and out), and with the first case the case rim was torn off and the case left in the die. With spray lube inside the case, which dries in a few minutes, everything worked fine. Using spray lube makes me worry about powder contamination, but it is the only way to make the press work.

I'm using Bullseye powder. I don't like working with a powder that uses such small charges (1.7 grains!) It would be easy to miss a double charge. I have had one instance of bridging of the powder in the Dillon measure, giving me light and heavy charges. I believe the bridging was because I left powder in the measure for several days. I am hand weighing almost every powder charge, until I trust it.

Accuracy with these strange techniques is excellent. I will be using the same odd techniques for .38 Special Wadcutters soon, and after that for .45 acp.

600 rounds of 9mm on my Christmas present to me Lee Loadmaster. CCI 500 primers, reclaimed brass, 125 gn coated SWC, and 5 gn Power Pistol. This press is a ginormous upgrade from the Turret (what do you mean 'you have to load another 100 primers in the dispenser'? :shock: :lol: ) . I have to take a break now to get more powder and for the blister in the center of my palm to heal a bit.

Suppose I should contribute- a few days ago I figured out the issue with my American Bulldog in 44 Webley- needed to shorten the cases a bit. So got out the mini circular chop saw and trimmed them down to the right length- with the traditional bullets, which are heeled, they are the same diameter as the case (which also makes for a different crimp setup). May load some for the Tuesday trip with the Pyrodex I have on hand since my actual black powder won't be in until Wednesday.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou