Re: redoing my reloading bench

finally worked up the nerve to try the dispenser again. apart from the fiddly calibration process and getting the charging die adjusted, all went well. dispense a charge, rotate the primed case under the charging die, charge, replace pan, rotate to seating position, seat the bullet, and the measure is just finishing up the next charge. once or twice i atually got ahead of it, had to wait half a second. loaded 28 rds in about 10 mins, 5 of them will be sloppy because of charging die adjustment, so i marked them with a sharpie. i feel so presidential. so far, i like the dispenser.

if you get one of these, make sure your bench is solid, or the vibration of using the press can vary the charge weight.
LUGO1809.JPG
LUGO1810.JPG
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

IMR4320. spherical i think, little tiny round balls. it's actually very consistent within 1 tenth of a grain, but if i bump or jostle something it may dump an extra tenth or two.

edit: no, now i'm using win 748 spherical. i've been using imr 4320(stick) for 30-40 krag.
Last edited by lurker on Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yes it is, speeds up the process considerably. i de-and re-primed about 50 more cases yesterday, i may load them up today. there's another couple of 100 milsurp cases, but i need to find my primer pocket reamer for the crimp/staking. it's out there in the shop, i've seen it, but it didn't make it to the reloading bench. maybe i'll look for that first.

lurker wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm loaded up about 120 rounds of 7.62x51 over the last couple of days. today i reinforced the bench and moved the press 6" to the right, then deprimed and sized ~ 200 cases. i'm using a flathead screwdriver to swage the primer pockets.
Marlene taught me that that's likely the best use for a cabinet screwdriver in a gun owner's workshop. Right tool right job I say. Stuff like that makes it personal, which rocks.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

bajajoaquin wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 pm I have never used it, since I have only loaded new brass, but I added this to my cart recently because it was cheap and I had free shipping.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835065?pid=467111
being a pocket cleaner, that won't do but your link led me to this, which is what i need so thanks very much. :thanks: planning to chuck it up in my cordless drill.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11652 ... ad-reviews

lurker wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm I use a finishing nail.
i'm having difficulty visualizing how that would work. and the $115 gadget? :no:
I look down into the pocket. Some crud there. Scrape it out with the pointy end of the nail. Drink beer.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

:beer2: i'm all for the beer part, but what i'm looking to do is swage or ream out the crimp on the primer pocket that militaries tend to put in to keep primers from backing out of their pockets. various manufacturers make various devices to remove the crimp, because it makes life difficult when trying to reprime a military case. right now i'm using a screwdriver as a reamer, but it's slow and inconsistent. the tool that baja 's link led me to is probably the (rhymes with jeep) solution i'm looking for.

lurker wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 am :beer2: i'm all for the beer part, but what i'm looking to do is swage or ream out the crimp on the primer pocket that militaries tend to put in to keep primers from backing out of their pockets. various manufacturers make various devices to remove the crimp, because it makes life difficult when trying to reprime a military case. right now i'm using a screwdriver as a reamer, but it's slow and inconsistent. the tool that baja 's link led me to is probably the (rhymes with jeep) solution i'm looking for.
Something like this?
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/ly ... amer-lg-sm

offensivename posted a link to what I have for military 06 brass. After about 15-20 cases my hands are quite sore.

CH4D makes a pocket swagger tool that costs around 35 bucks that will swage out the pocket after it is properly set up for the head stamp.

You will need to have a dillon tool head for dedicated brass processing un less you don't mind removing a die from the ones you already own.