Re: Reloading - The Time vs. Money Trade-Off

CowboyT wrote:Ya know, I hear this sort of thing come up lots of times. I find that it depends on several things:

1.) how much you shoot - 2 times a month
2.) *what* you shoot - 45LC in a lever action rifle and soon a SAA Pistol
3.) availability of what you shoot - Oh it's available...and expensive too so more "Bang" for the buck?
4.) how much fun you have while doing it, and - lots
5.) the ethics that you perceive in the act of rolling your own - Did it with tobacco and well "cough" some 420 caliber rounds.

And finally, the most important--to me--reason to reload: DOGGONE IT, IT'S OUR RIGHT! We have a right to do this, and I perceive rollin' my own as simply another aspect of exercising my Second Amendment rights.

And that's why I think it's worth it.
I'd like to start with .45LC and maybe add 45 ACP as I have 1 1911...soon to have a 2nd one.

I've been looking at a Lee 50th Anniversary Kit and the Challenger Kit - difference is one has a hand primer, the other is tube mounted on the press - which one?

Any advice on this?
I've been "tinkering" a bit
Next seems reloading could be fun...I think the "hook is set" it's an official hobby and it's like I don't have enough hobbies, but so what...right?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

The hand primer is a nice option to have. Lots of people prefer it. Hand priming (for decades only the inexpensive Lee primer) is thought to give better uniformity of primer seating pressure by the precision benchrest rifle folks, so don't think of it as somehow lesser at all.

If you have the option of a kit that features their bigger Classic Cast press, I recommend it. While their smaller single stage presses are just fine, the Classic Cast is on par with (or better than) a lot of the fancy brand single stage presses. Very precise, and tons of power for sizing (and forming) bigger rifle cases. For small stuff and handgun cases, the bigger press makes more room to reach in with your fingers and is definitely an ergonomic plus.

I just had to put in my 2 cents worth here. My original reason for getting into reloading was that I bought an old Savage 110L at a gun show in .264 Winchester Magnum. The seller had 1 or 2 boxes of ammo. Then I went looking for more ammo and found out it was over $2 a round. I bought a used Lyman crusher with the priming arm at an estate sale and dies, brass, bullets from MidwayUSA, then powder, shellholders, and primers from my local gun shop and I was a happy camper. Since then, about 14 years ago, I reload every round I shoot. However, in my concealed carry I use factory ammo since you never know when you might have to defend yourself and if you end up in court a smart ass lawyer could say you made a "hot" round just for his client.

And I still have that Savage 110L in .264 Win Mag.

For a single stage press the Lee cast iron model is as good as it gets. They make 2 versions, one with the die insert bushings and one that is conventional. I have no experience with the quick inserts and feel that for them to actually pay off you need one for every die you own and then you can trim a few seconds off of putting in your dies. The Lee has a hollow ram for depriming which I really like and have used one because my Redding press also has one. What kind of 45 Colt ammo are you interested in making?

eelj wrote:
SpaceRanger42 wrote:I enjoy reloading and at my initial start point reloading my purchased ammo I am saving about $10 per 50 rounds. I think the savings should increase a bit if I start harvesting range brass but next month will skew my cost because I also be re loading 45 colt.
Do you plan on making your own cowboy action ammo?
Yes and no. I can def reload to keep the rounds wtithin the rules for that game and i do use cast bullets but not planning on JUST that.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

lurker wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 pm
harriss wrote:a smart ass lawyer could say you made a "hot" round just for his client.
apparently not hot enough if the perp client is still alive.
Normally the client is the family of the deceased... or an anti self defense prosecutor. Regardless, I might pick up reloading at some point if/when i get into higher priced rounds. I would probably even reload my 5.56(maybe make grendels or something) and .357s, but I would scare my family if i started carrying around jars of explosive powder. Also i don't have any workspace for this. First world problems :roll:

Typically I haven't reloaded 9mm, because the time vs money equation didn't work out. Now that I have a turret press I might revisit that.

When it comes to .38 Special Wadcutters, 10mm Auto, and center fire rifle ammo, I save quite a bit of money.

Also I can load stuff that really isn't available. Most of the commercially available 10mm, 200 Grain hardcast WFN loads out there are loaded hotter than they need to be, and have failures in Glock 20's for example. Another example is that I've duplicated the old 30-30 Short Range small game load that hasn't been made since WW2, and I find it very handy when I'm woodsbumming.

The main thing is, if you don't enjoy it, at least a little bit, don't do it.

The Time vs Money will play out to an advantage in me being able to shoot more .45 LC.
The stuff is expensive so I'd do better to "get more bang for my buck" by reloading.

I'm hoping soon here I'll get that Lee Deluxe Challenger Kit along with some other supplies (goodies) yes!
I've cut back on some of my hobbies, target shooting is one of the more enjoyable ones.

I plan on starting off with .45 LC as I want to shoot it more in my Winchester 1894 Lever Action, I plan on getting a SAA Uberti in .45 LC as well.
I'll be getting a Die set for that and I suppose for .45 ACP as well.
These calibers I want to shoot more often.

I may add 38 SP &.357 Magnum as I have both a revolver and rifle in this caliber...wishing also that some day to add a SAA pistol.
I've decided that 9mm is so inexpensive that there's no point for me reloading it.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

I find that my costs reduce more as my time goes on and there are only a few variables. I can reload my pistol calibers (9mm, 357, 38sp) for a little less than half of the initial investment. My big savings comes in on .45 colt and .223 but the best over all is on 9mm and .223 as I can harvest twice as much brass from the range as I take with me. My cost on .308 is still a little high because I don't have that brass build up yet and the volume of powder needed is significantly more than for .223. I don't figure time into the cost because I enjoy reloading and the end result is better than what I can buy commercially.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

I just started hand loading 6.5 Creedmoor, my first rifle cartridge. Even as a beginner my accuracy improved 50% and I'm not even tweaking it yet. Basically I'm stunned at how much better my home rolled ammo is than even top end factory ammo. I can build it to the gun that shoots it and even moderate control over little things like COAL and neck tension and precision charge weights builds super precision ammunition.

The only reason I shoot any factory ammunition is to get the brass. :lol:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm I just started hand loading 6.5 Creedmoor, my first rifle cartridge. Even as a beginner my accuracy improved 50% and I'm not even tweaking it yet. Basically I'm stunned at how much better my home rolled ammo is than even top end factory ammo. I can build it to the gun that shoots it and even moderate control over little things like COAL and neck tension and precision charge weights builds super precision ammunition.

VooDoo
I'm planning on loading 6.5 Creedmoor next year, would you mind sharing your load data?

Loaded some 375 Winchester for the '94BB and Ruger No. 3, and 44 mag for my Winchester '94 trapper. For the lever guns I cast and for the single shot a semi-spitzer jacketed bullet.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

The “cost/benefit” metrics of reloading has drastically shifted for serious Californian competitive and sport shooters with the ammo license law about to go into effect in 2019.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 pm The “cost/benefit” metrics of reloading has drastically shifted for serious Californian competitive and sport shooters with the ammo license law about to go into effect in 2019.
Is it just a matter of time till the California Legislature discovers the reloaders and regulate that.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

spara wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 pm
VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm I just started hand loading 6.5 Creedmoor, my first rifle cartridge. Even as a beginner my accuracy improved 50% and I'm not even tweaking it yet. Basically I'm stunned at how much better my home rolled ammo is than even top end factory ammo. I can build it to the gun that shoots it and even moderate control over little things like COAL and neck tension and precision charge weights builds super precision ammunition.

VooDoo
I'm planning on loading 6.5 Creedmoor next year, would you mind sharing your load data?
Sorry...wasn't paying attention. I got involved with some precision shooters that were running really heavy for caliber projectiles in 6.5 CM on another forum and was really excited by the results with 147 gr. .264 bullets and Alliant Reloder 26. Long story short I tried all the recommended powders for hot 6.5 CM and went "Meh".

Then I got a pound of Reloder 26 and started loading carefully and found that Reloder 26 (despite the lack of data) and 147 gr Hornady ELD-M bullets were literally magic pixie dust propelling unicorn horns for me. I'm running once fired Hornady brass and 47.0 gr. of RL-26, CCI large rifle primers, and Hornady 147 gr. ELM-M bullets loaded to factory length OAL (2.820") and they are running 2835 fps which is comparable to 6.5X47 Lapua territory.

I'm shooting these to 1000 yards and they are still sub MOA in my Savage 10 FCP-SR "FrankenGun":

Prone200yards.jpg
100Yards_FirstHandLoads.jpg
This Dude at Snipers Hide did all the legwork and I followed up with my own load development.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... a.6887351/

Start low and work up (as always) but my load is Alliant Reloder 26 and Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M's, CCI large rifle primers, once fire Hornady brass all loaded to 2.820" OAL. Reduce by 10% and work up.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

As to the OP, I just took up reloading, with the specific intent of slowing down (that, and getting 165 rounds of nickel plated 45-70s that I could find cases for, but no rounds). Anyway, I wanted to support a brick-and-mortar, but they all refused to listen to my interests and kept trying to hard-sell me on an assembly line. It's not a money issue. I can afford a big set-up. It's not what I want. Zen and the art of reloading. That's where I'm going. So it's been on-line ordering. There have been a few hick-ups, but I keep reminding myself why I'm doing this.

Yup. Not enough "Zen" in the progressive setups but they are fabulous if one is a competitor and needs to run hundreds of rounds at a crack. I'm atill loading everything one pull at a time and each round is truly hand crafted and as perfect as I can make them. I'm currently unemployed and my Wife actually manipulates me to go to the range or go load ammunition. I'm in a calm, submissive state after doing these things.

Good therapy as mentioned upstream. Good for the Soul.

VooDoo

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:34 pm Yup. Not enough "Zen" in the progressive setups but they are fabulous if one is a competitor and needs to run hundreds of rounds at a crack. I'm atill loading everything one pull at a time and each round is truly hand crafted and as perfect as I can make them. I'm currently unemployed and my Wife actually manipulates me to go to the range or go load ammunition. I'm in a calm, submissive state after doing these things.

Good therapy as mentioned upstream. Good for the Soul.

VooDoo
VooDoo, I totally agree
I've been reloading for about a year or so, and for me it's more a labor of love than a cost saving measure. I load for 5.56 and 7.62x39 since those are the rounds I shoot the most. These aren't expensive or rare rounds (current ammo shortage excepted) but I still spend a few nights a week out in the garage for a couple of reasons.
First, I love small repetitive tasks. A LOT. There's a zen meditation that asks you to do the dishes with your whole mind... "soaping the blue bowl. Rinsing the silver spoon...". This zen experience is exactly what I love about loading. I'm a hand brass polisher (jewelry cleaning pads!) and I run a single stage press. I still weigh every single charge, even though my hopper throws consistently... I just like the experience. My wife, who can sense when I'm tense, stressed, or anxious will sometimes look me in the eyes and say " do you need to go make some bullets?"

Also, while I'm not necessarily looking for absolute benchrest precision, I do like the ability to control as many factors as possible to make sure that I'm getting consistent rounds. A lot of my shooting is done in the field, with 5.56 used for varmint control, meaning that I'm firing at small, often moving targets (ground squirrels, jackrabbits, etc) often from offhand, unsupported positions. I need all the accuracy I can get!

Lastly, and I think this is something that affects us out here in California more than in other states, I load a lot of lead-free stuff since it's required for hunting here. Lead free ammo is available from the factory, but it's super expensive and not particularly abundant. So while there isn't much of a savings in loading up 5.56 FMJ, I can save about 1.50 per round off retail prices by loading Lehigh Controlled Chaos copper hollowpoint .311 projectiles into Starline 7.62x39 brass.