Re: What did you reload today?

Just back from the range and these shot sub MOA from a 16" barreled Rock River Arms M4 Carbine with drop in type hand guard ( not free floating) out to 100 yards with a 4 MOA Red Dot. No problems or functionality issues...like freakin'' butter. No signs of pressure and no ejector swipes.

So we are gonna roll these until we run out of components. Shot them side by side with the Winchester M193 Ball ammo and it knocks them out at around .33 cents a round.

Plus I can actually build a shit load of these while lots of stuff is on back order. I'm appeased.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

20rd ladder of 300win mag. Berger 175 VLD Hunting over Reloder 17. Searching for best seating depth with 4 flights changing by .040" each. These are running down the 24" barrel of a early 70's Sako L61R. It has a long throat, but an extra long magazine to complement. The longest is 0.31" over SAAMI COAL and still fits nicely in the magazine with no feeding issues! Load development is for a friend's upcoming elk hunt.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

I reloaded 99 rounds (I must have missed one case at the range) of .30-06:

Remington Brass.

CCI #34 primer.

46.6 grains of W748 powder.

Hornady Match 168 grain BTHP bullet.
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

'Nuther 100 rounds of 9mm for stock....124 gr. Berry's Hybrid Hollowpoints over 4.9 gr. of Alliant Unique. Mixed brass and CCI Small Pistol Primers.
9mmHollowPoints.jpg
Gonna try and get another 100 rounds of 5.56 done as well but my cases need trimmed and I'm waiting for a 5.56 pilot for my Lyman E-Zee Trimmer which should be here by Thursday. Took me hours to find one in stock...man it's dry for components.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Yum...getting there on my 1000 round stock of home rolled 5.56....
5.56Cache.jpg
Gonna run out of powder and bullets but I did manage to score more once fired brass from the range.

VooDoo

Staying in out of the smoke and loading up 78 rounds of 5.56 from the lot of 80 I shot last week (2 of my cases are very lonely somewhere in a field in Creston right now. Sorry, little buddies!)
Cases are PPU, which is my favorite brass to reload from factory rounds. I find PPU 55 grain FMJ to be consistent and accurate from the factory, and it's packed in those convenient "battle packs". Brass doesn't stretch too much, decently concentric, holds good primer pocket tension post-swaging for 4 reloadings (or more... 4 is the most I've done so far).
CCI small rifle primers and 24 grains of A2330
Projectiles are Barnes 70 grain TSX boat tail hollow points. Gonna find me some hogs with them.

I took up reloading mainly because I hate verdigris and could not find 45-70 rounds in nickel plate, while I could find cases in nickel. Well, I just finished the first quantity in my life: 405 gr lead over 32 gr of 5744 with Rem 9.5 LR primers. I still have about 380 to go, but here's a pic in one of my many belts I like to display, loaded.

Funny thing: Just as I finished reloading my first lot of 45-70 Government rounds, I walk in the house to hear Kamala Harris on the T.V. set, saying there is no vaccine for racism. I thought: "Well, I just worked up a batch my own self!"
Attachments
IMG_20200822_095106144.jpg

Reloaded a bunch of 30-06 for my dads old Springfield 03. He passed earlier this year and my brother in law has it now.

My dad taught me to reload more than 40 years ago. I can’t pull a set of dies without thinking of him. He was the first to teach me attention to detail. The US Navy refined it. It has proved useful in my hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

I loaded 50 rounds of 12 gauge ammunition for Skeet. I have a number of tightly choked shotguns, made for bird hunting. It is good practice for hunting to shoot Skeet, but shooting Skeet with a tightly choked shotgun is not going to hit much. What one can do with shotgun ammunition is make it such that it will shoot tighter or looser groups. The ammunition I loaded makes for looser groups and is called "Spreaders", accomplished by using special wads or wad inserts.

One can buy factory ammunition to produce this effect, but at twice the normal cost of target ammunition. One can handload such for a bit less than normal target ammunition.

Commercial Spreader ammunition:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018815845
http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/153-12 ... d-Box.aspx

Spreader inserts for normal shotgun wad cups:
https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart ... PW&i=S1012

Spreader wads (the spreader is part of the actual wad):
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Dispe ... o/072DX12/

A very satisfying way to spend an hour or so.

sized, deprimed, reprimed 76 empty 308 win cases from the last couple of range trips. will charge (44.1 grn win748), seat (150 grn fmjbt), crimp most likely tomorrow. also deprimed and sized about 100 .45acp cases, and stumbled on 100 large pistol primers in among my stash of rifle primers. pistol primers are good, but 100 fewer rifle primers than expected is bad.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

loaded up some .45acp. used up the last of my clays pistol powder, have some hs-7 but no load data for acp.
low on large rifle primers, plenty of bullets, powder and brass. should keep me going for a day or so.
have makin's for .223. looks like i'll be making AR food in a bit.
i'm starting to get really annoyed at whoever is hoarding this stuff.
LUGO2378.JPG

lurker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:32 am loaded up some .45acp. used up the last of my clays pistol powder, have some hs-7 but no load data for acp.
low on large rifle primers, plenty of bullets, powder and brass. should keep me going for a day or so.
have makin's for .223. looks like i'll be making AR food in a bit.
i'm starting to get really annoyed at whoever is hoarding this stuff.
LUGO2378.JPG
I am annoyed as well. I think shinzen notes some time back that manufactures are primarily causing the primer shortage.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

being that rare unicorn, the oxymoronic libtard gun nut on an explicitly apolitical bicycle forum, i wrote this little screed in the sorta-hidden guns and ammo area:
i have about 550 45acp rounds loaded.
i am low (maybe 25) on large rifle primers, which is what i use for krag, 30-06 and .308win. i expect to use them up next time i reload. i have about 300 rounds of .308, which is my primary rifle cartridge, about 200 30-06, and 120 krag loaded.

i have ample .223 components. limit is bullets, probably 500. already have about 200 rds loaded. plenty of rifle powder, cases and small rifle primers. the AR is not my favorite rifle to shoot, hasn't been out in over a year. i recently replaced the buffer spring with a flat-wire spring, supposedly minimizes the "sproing!", which i hate, so i might enjoy it more now.

45-70? maybe 80 rds, not set up for reloading it, uses a bigger bullet than .45acp.
black powder? plenty. musket caps? couple of hundred. .58 and .54 bullets? not so much, 20 and 40.

whoever is doing this hoarding is making it difficult for me to shoot, and i'm really beginning to dislike them. we've had ammo shortages before, but nothing like this, especially reloading components which are sort of a specialized niche. this time is different, like someone is hoping to start a civil war and have an ammo factory in their basement. i begin to wish ill on them. if they don't get their wish and all hell doesn't break loose, there's going to be some interesting estate sales in the next 20 years. this is not just brick-and-mortar retail, most if not all online vendors are literally completely out of stock. panic isn't helping.

re-reading this, i suppose it must look strange to the casual or non-shooters. stockpiles of 500 of this, 300 of that, 200 of some more, 80 of the other, but having been through a couple of shortages, i know that shooting is a perishable skill and you need to keep doing it to maintain it. this particular shortage has been going on since last spring, and will certainly not abate before the inauguration (or longer) because of fear (arguably justified) that joe will come to take our gunz. so having a month or so supply is not unusual even in normal times, and between covid and recent politics, these are not normal.

oopsie! was out gathering .223 components and there, in the back, on the very bottom, was an unopened 4 lb jug of pistol powder. obviously i didn't remember having it. so i'm back in the .45acp business until i run out of primers. meanwhile, cleaning empty .223 cases. maybe if i look hard enough i'll find a forgotten case of primers?

lurker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm oopsie! was out gathering .223 components and there, in the back, on the very bottom, was an unopened 4 lb jug of pistol powder. obviously i didn't remember having it. so i'm back in the .45acp business until i run out of primers. meanwhile, cleaning empty .223 cases. maybe if i look hard enough i'll find a forgotten case of primers?
Congrats!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.