Re: What did you reload today?

bajajoaquin wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:46 pm I got over the gumption traps and got started on my light 357 loads. 4.6gr of Unique under 158g lswc. Manual says 815 FPS from a 38 special case, so somewhat less out of a 357, I’d imagine. I’ll get a batch of those loaded then switch to some real magnum 158gr JHP rounds next.
I'll bet you like those loads. If your SWC bullet has a crimp groove you can even out the air space in the case by seating the bullet to the shoulder before it is lightly crimped. What powder are you going to use for the magnums?

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 am So seat it extra deep so COL is closer to 38 spl?

I think I have Alliant 2400. I’d have to check.
2400 is a great powder for the 357, as good as it gets.

Seating to the shoulder is a trick that people have used with the 357 and 44mag for years. The difference in case length is the same for both 1/10th of an inch. For a very long time there was very little mid range data for both because well they're mags after all.

If you are going to shoot both jacketed and cast lead it might be advisable to get some good copper fouling remover for cleaning the bore. little tiny flecks of jacket material can cause leading with the cast bullets.

Yeah. I’ll be loading lead for the light loads. For plinking and introducing my wife (hopefully) to centerfire, that’s what I’ll use.

I’ll load the more expensive bullets with the hotter loads. Good advice on the copper solvent. I have some from the past but I’ll be sure to use it.

I have components for 44mag as well but I only have a carbine in that caliber for now. Since it’s got a gas port, it will only see jacketed bullets and probably only full-pop 240s. Not that it’s relevant to this discussion, but... :)

Had the progressive set up so did 100 rounds of 9mm, 124gr hi-tek coated lead from Missouri Bullets over 3.8gr of titegroup
Swapped out for the single stage to do 30 rounds of 6.5x55 with 140gr cast lead gas-check bullets over 25gr of 5477
Then did 15 rounds of Black Powder .45-70. 405 gr HB cast lead over 70 gr of compressed FFG

lurker wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:24 pm it's 8:22 pm and UPS is still saying "end of the day today". i guess it could be worse, that poor guy running late on the delivery schedule could be me.
yeah UPS is doing some weird stuff. I order a 100ft ethernet cable to run into my reloading area and it was supposed to come in Friday by 8pm, it shipped tuesday, I checked the tracking on wednesday and it was on track to be here maybe even thursday, I check the tracking thursday and it was sent to Salt Lake City Utah and still had a by 8pm friday delivery time, checked the tracking on friday and it was still sitting in Utah.

50 rounds of uber precise rifle ammo - 6.5 Creedmoor. 3X fired cases all hand trimmed to size after full length resize and having the mouths set and shoulders reset, hand primed, hand charged with Alliant Reloder 26 and topped with Hornady 147 gr. ED-Match bullets.
Precision.jpg
Nothing clears the Soul like building precision rounds one at a time. Well, nothing except laying prone at 600 yards and sending them. But that'll be Thursday.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Nothing like one of my favorites. 38 sp. 158 lwc over 4.5 universal. just got my order of 1000 158 lswc, 500 148 dewc. and 1000 125 ld truncated cone all coated from Missouri Bullets. Given the weight, I hide from the delivery person. They aren't happy with my order.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin