Re: What did you reload today?

Out of curiosity has anybody ever loaded 147gr for 9mm. I bought some new 147gr HST PD rounds for my XD9 and shot out the 124s I had in the mags then ran several mags of the 147s through as a function check. I discovered I much prefer the recoil dynamics of the heavier bullets so I bought a thousand Berrys 147 RNs on sale. Planning on trying them in a few local USPSA matches. Anybody have a favorite load for that combo?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

KlrDrvr wrote:Out of curiosity has anybody ever loaded 147gr for 9mm. I bought some new 147gr HST PD rounds for my XD9 and shot out the 124s I had in the mags then ran several mags of the 147s through as a function check. I discovered I much prefer the recoil dynamics of the heavier bullets so I bought a thousand Berrys 147 RNs on sale. Planning on trying them in a few local USPSA matches. Anybody have a favorite load for that combo?
That's all I load these days. 147gr plated(xtreme munitions), 3.2 gr of titegroup. Nice soft shooting load and cycles most everything just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Made some 45-70 black powder cartridges using the old Lyman 310 handle and dies. Bullets cast with a Lyman 457125 mould with about 20:1 alloy dropped around 525 grains and 0.459" diameter. Used about 57 grains of 2f Goex, compressed about 3/32" under a 1/8" nitro wad, SPG lube. New Winchester brass and WLRM primers. They're for the Trapdoor.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Spara, have you calculated how much each round of your 9mm costs (combined components)?

I cast my own boolits but am having leading issues with my 9mm which I can't solve with different kinds of lube. I suspect I may have to use to professionally coated bullets like yours. -What brand are they?

Speaking of which, I know Huck probably rolled some .45acp today. And will be doing more tomorrow, and likely more the day after that...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:08 am Spara, have you calculated how much each round of your 9mm costs (combined components)?

I cast my own boolits but am having leading issues with my 9mm which I can't solve with different kinds of lube. I suspect I may have to use to professionally coated bullets like yours. -What brand are they?

Speaking of which, I know Huck probably rolled some .45acp today. And will be doing more tomorrow, and likely more the day after that...
I use Blue Bullets, they're $234 for 3600. I bought sampler packs from different manufacturers and Blue Bullets were the most accurate for the coated bullets and among the cheapest. I estimate that it costs around 8-9¢/rnd with range pick up brass.

spara wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:33 am
Bisbee wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:08 am Spara, have you calculated how much each round of your 9mm costs (combined components)?

I use Blue Bullets, they're $234 for 3600. I bought sampler packs from different manufacturers and Blue Bullets were the most accurate for the coated bullets and among the cheapest. I estimate that it costs around 8-9¢/rnd with range pick up brass.
Spara - how well does the coating stick? Have you seen any problems with coating damage while seating or crimping? I'm using Missouri Bullet Company's Hi-TeK but haven't used other coatings.

AndyH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 am
Spara - how well does the coating stick? Have you seen any problems with coating damage while seating or crimping? I'm using Missouri Bullet Company's Hi-TeK but haven't used other coatings.
The coating stays on, but I had to play with adjusting the bell so it wouldn't scrape the coating off when seating and crimping.

Marlene wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 am Oh Axel, that is a thing of beauty
Thank you; I try my best.

They shot very well through an H&R Trapdoor Cavalry Carbine.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

spara wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 am
AndyH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 am
The coating stays on, but I had to play with adjusting the bell so it wouldn't scrape the coating off when seating and crimping.
Thanks spara. I'll order some. My Glock doesn't have any trouble with Missouri Bullet's cast or coated - I'll bet blue will run fine as well.

50 rounds of .30-06 with IMR-4831 and IMR-4895 with 155gr ELD boolits. Reloading the big stuff instead of the intermediate cartridges always feels so much easier, I don't know if its the case or the die but the bullets always seat perfectly, the only odd thing was one case that seemed to have way less volume than the others.

I’m on vacation and I’m catching up on stuff I’ve been neglecting during a hectic period at work.

Several bandoliers of clipped match 30-06, some perfectly manicured 223 with Berger bullets for my bolt gun as well as some experiments with the new 60 grain tipped match kings, some light loaded 6.5x55 to be gentle on my old Norwegian Krag, some 7 Rem Mag, a bunch of 30 Remington, and some newly neck-turned 22-3000 2R Lovell.

Doing all of this, I realize that I favor relatively light loads for everything because the brass lasts longer.

I had a week off for Christmas and I have been using the time to reload.
So far I have 600 45 ACP done and 100 9MM. The plan is to get 1000 9MM done before i have to go back to work.
And just a little head up for anyone who uses Lee hand primer, don't do 1000 cases in one sitting. I did the 600 45 cases one night and 1000 9MM the following day. It felt like the skin was going to peel off my thumb and the fingernail was going to fall off.

I recently reloaded 107 rounds of .30-06 (HXP brass, CCI #34 primer, Hornady 150 gr. FMJ-BT bullet, 46 gr. of W748 powder).
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Loaded some more 148gr SWCHB .38 Special last night with 2.8 grains of Bullseye powder behind it.

Also loaded something new for my 1911 that I’ll be trying at the range today: 185gr SWCHP with 3.8 grains of Bullseye powder.
The cast lead hollow points are supposed to give better performance, especially at 50 yards, than the plain SWC I’ve been using.
I also loaded some with varying powder charges to compare, but 3.8 grains seems to be the standard Bullseye load for this bullet.

I use Zero brand bullets.
http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... e=ZB-45ACP

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am Loaded some more 148gr SWCHB .38 Special last night with 2.8 grains of Bullseye powder behind it.

Also loaded something new for my 1911 that I’ll be trying at the range today: 185gr SWCHP with 3.8 grains of Bullseye powder.
The cast lead hollow points are supposed to give better performance, especially at 50 yards, than the plain SWC I’ve been using.
I also loaded some with varying powder charges to compare, but 3.8 grains seems to be the standard Bullseye load for this bullet.

I use Zero brand bullets.
http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... e=ZB-45ACP
When bullseye powder was developed many years ago the world became a better place.

Finally get to post in this thread!

Today I loaded 16 rounds of .45 ACP. I used a Lee Hand Press that Marlene recommended to me and it worked great! This was just a test run to get used to the equipment, and tomorrow I'll go to the range and see if these actually fire. They cycle through the gun OK, so I'm pretty confident.

106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed