Re: A New Endeavor to Foster My Gun Addiction

Thanks all. Really looking forward to getting started at this. As soon as the book/gun room gets its revamping, I'll be on my way.

I read enough to have had an idea this might be a rabbit hole... some great times have been spent in those holes. ;)

I'll definitely be asking questions.
Buckshot wrote:I am west of you in Defiance Oh. if there's anyway I can be of assistance to you I am at your service.
Buckshot, thanks! Very kind indeed. I'll certainly take you up on that when the need arises.

You all have a great weekend. I'm off to the range tomorrow to unload some brass so I ... can ... reload it? LOL
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

Wow, your wife actually got you what you wanted. Wow wow wow..

Bought that same kit myself and am very happy with it. After getting the hang of things upgraded to a programed powder measure.

There is the saw that you will end up spending the same amount to end up with more ammo...or not, depending on you.

I don't spend money wondering if WTF3452 will give me a better load than Suckaduck750 will, given the same bullet weight.
If you want to get all geeky about it, go for it. For me it is a time and money pit.

But...I AM REALLY happy with RCBS products! Enjoy!
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

beaurrr wrote:
eelj wrote:
Bisbee wrote:Yup, Beaurrr served as my reloading mentor -or my Mephistopheles... After all, I've been witness to him rejoicing over molten lead on numerous occasions. I mean, is that normal?
;)
Yes.
I was delighted when Bisbee took an interest. It's not like I'm some kind of expert, but it was fun to share what I had learned (especially those weird things that would seem to contradict accepted practices - and there are a lot of those types of things). Shit, I could probably write a book on all of the confounding problems I've encountered. I've even figured out one or two of them. :lol:

So now, we have a sort of mutually beneficial relationship; he feeds me lead and I return 2/3 of that lead to him as finished boolits bullets. I also get feedback on my product and useful information about his load recipes. Plus, casting/handloading, then shootin' it all up is just damned fun... and cheep!

ps. I admit it; geeking out over lead is freakin' weird, man.
Signs of repeated lead exposure include: abdominal pain. abdominal cramps. aggressive behavior. constipation. sleep problems. headaches. irritability.
Feeling ok so far, boys?

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

What can I say; casting lead boolits rocks my world. :love:
Edit: It's unclear whether lead can be absorbed through the skin but I just decided use gloves. It's pretty difficult to clean the lead off after handling hundreds of soft lead bullets.
Last edited by beaurrr on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

After seeing Beaurrr start wearing gloves to reduce contact with lead, I too am careful about wearing latex gloves during reloading. I've always washed my hands and been aware not to eat or drink while reloading.
I sleep well, no pain, or cramps, or headaches. Irritability and aggression come from my neighbors and was there before I started reloading... Reloading actually helps me calm being a form of meditation.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Most of the time I reload using plated bullets, just because the lead exposure issue is about 10x less, less even than jacketed bullets, plus cheaper than jacketed and perform like cast. Completely polymer coated bullets are similar. When I do reload cast, I wash my hands a lot.

This is a public service announcement on behalf of the sissified reloaders in your neighborhood.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

eelj wrote:Wash your hands before picking your nose or eating with your fingers. I don't think you can get lead poisoning from skin exposure. Lead dust from spent primers is the worst.
Good advice. Especially about spent primers.

Which leads me note one more thing about Tula primers - the small pistol primers hard as they may be, have no lead in them.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

If no-one has made the comparison... one week in... reloading strikes me as the Fantasy Football or Dungeons & Dragons of the gun world.

It would seem that The Force is also pulling my interest towards cast bullets... how can I tell if this is the Dark Side? ;)
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

Do not fear the lead. Embrace the lead. Love the lead. But, respect the lead.
Casting is an outstanding hobby that is fun and economical. You can make those bullets actually fit your gun. (Hint:commercial cast bullets are mostly atrocious, but you won't know that until you make your own.)

If you cast and/or smelt, periodic blood tests are worthwhile, and they are the ONLY meaningful way to tell if there is or is not a problem. Safe habits can largely prevent contamination problems.

ps. my serum lead is back down to the baseline.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police