Filler, Dacron , in cases... suggestions?

So I am loading lighter loads for rifles, and I understand some powders work best when they cant move around. Some people buy special fillers for reloading, some use Dacron, and so on. I have even read of using oatmeal. In rifle brass ! Its just to make sure the powder stays closer to the primer for proper ignition and burn. I was thinking maybe using dog hair, of which I have an abundance in..but thats for another post. :lol:

So whats your favorite fillers? I am also wondering if I should have used fillers when I loaded some 22 hornet last night. I used 8 grains of clay, which does not even come up to the neck. Or on such a small case would it really matter?
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Filler, Dacron , in cases... suggestions?

My guess would be that for a small case like 22 Hornet that would less of an issue. You could check it out with a chrono.

When I loaded some plated bullets for 30-06 with IMR 4227, I used a .22 cleaning patch to hold the charge next to the primer. Without it I was getting wildly varying velocities.

One of the cast bullet folks probably have more experience with this.

fwiw
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

No need at all in the hornet.

There is a good deal of controversy concerning the use of fillers and the potential for wads on the powder to cause damage to guns. I avoid fillers entirely. If a load doesn't work without fillers, I think that means the load doesn't work.

I use 4198 for reduced loads and cast bullets in full-power rifle cartridges. I don't use faster pistol powders.

In reduced loads for rifles shooting cast, gas checked boolits I use Unique, which is position-sensitive. The case isn't full at all, so I use Dacron pillow stuffing pushed in with a pencil eraser. I haven't had any problems I can detect with any buildup in the barrel.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:In reduced loads for rifles shooting cast, gas checked boolits I use Unique, which is position-sensitive. The case isn't full at all, so I use Dacron pillow stuffing pushed in with a pencil eraser. I haven't had any problems I can detect with any buildup in the barrel.

CDFingers
On the castboolits forum there has been a lot of discussion on this subject and using the bullet to seat the filler is the only thing they agree on. I tried using a filler with a number of different powders in reduced rifle loads using 4756 unique red dot and even real light bullseye loads and found no difference at all in the performance so I don't bother with it. Perhaps Joel Black will chime in on this thread because he was privy to a study that showed the dangers of using synthetic fibers like dacron or kapok for fillers. Never heard of using oatmeal but cream of wheat yes.