I need a new priming set up

I've been using the RCBS single stage since 2004, I think, and it has cranked out 10s of thousands of things from 32 SW to Govt 45-70. I have worn the simple primer lever out after patching it up repeatedly. I've wallowed the pivot hole almost all the way through to the side. RCBS doesn't seem to carry those pieces for individual sale. I like that I could put a case in and prime it on one stroke and bell the mouth on the other.

The RCBS kit came with a hand primer that I gave away without using once. I've got 2 Lee Pro progressives and the super de luxe priming pos doo-dads have never, ever! worked.

I will not consider rehab and will likely continue my addiction at the current intensity so what's worth a look? The handheld models look iffy to me.
The ram priming unit looks simple and doesn't take up much room, about $35
ram priming unit.jpg
ram priming unit.jpg (4.16 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Bench primers solid but require some room. Some models have a primer feeder. Costs are closer to $75.
auto priming.jpg
What scores high on durability and efficiency?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: I need a new priming set up

I have experience with the Forster bench primer. It's a lot more hand friendly than the u-squeezem types and I can blow throw boxes of primers. The aluminum tubes are the only weakness, but Forster sent me a free replacement when I made a little noise.

Jeez, with RCBS, I half expect them to send you whole new press if you wore some little bit that they don't sell. Probably overnight.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Yes, I have Lee set ups and could never get the primers to use the little slide. Could be that I was yelling at them the whole time.

I didn't think to contact RCBS directly for the part. I prefer not to give up that primer punch built into the press. Thanks!

primer part.jpg
I sent RCBS an email. I'll let you know what happens.

That's the second set of cups and primer plugs I've gone through. I polished up the second set with flitz and I think I got more life out of it with less friction. Still- that one broke right where it screws into the lever. The cup must have rubbed through it enough to weaken it. The lever is just worn out. I can only guess how many times I've pulled that lever to wear that out like that.

I like hand priming with the Lee tool. I like to squeeze the primer home in a way I can feel it. When I use my press, I don't feel it as much, but by hand, feels. Now that baseball season is coming to a close, there won't be much hand priming watching games.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:I like hand priming with the Lee tool. I like to squeeze the primer home in a way I can feel it. When I use my press, I don't feel it as much, but by hand, feels. Now that baseball season is coming to a close, there won't be much hand priming watching games.

CDFingers
I just imagine jiggling the thing and constantly getting the primers in upside down.

Simmer down wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I like hand priming with the Lee tool. I like to squeeze the primer home in a way I can feel it. When I use my press, I don't feel it as much, but by hand, feels. Now that baseball season is coming to a close, there won't be much hand priming watching games.

CDFingers
I just imagine jiggling the thing and constantly getting the primers in upside down.
Yeah, there's that fiddling, made more fun wearing glasses and having fingers bigger than the primers. It's not the fastest way, that's for sure.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers

I prefer the lee hand primers too, for the same reasons. and with the new trays, upside down primers are almost never a problem. I have been thinking about the bench mount Lee primer tool, but with my back the way it is, sometimes I prefer to sit in the comfy chair, watch tv and use the hand primer when I do a couple hundred rounds.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:
Simmer down wrote:

CDFingers
Yeah, there's that fiddling, made more fun wearing glasses and having fingers bigger than the primers. It's not the fastest way, that's for sure.

CDFingers

get the new trays. You get trays for both large and small that will work with the hand ones, except the old round tray hand tool, for $10. I have not had an upside down primer since switching them out..
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:To me, ten bucks is a six pack and two slices of pizza. I have to weigh the values there...

:yahoo:

CDFingers
But they are so space aged looking and pretty..

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Simmer down wrote:Sure enough, they are sending a new and free one. :thumbup:

I guess that I work so much with ancient artifacts I don't even think about warrantied parts.
They have always been the gold standard when it comes to customer support. Personally I don't quite get why they can't figure out the spent primer thing but with a little personal ingenuity it can be overcome. I've toyed with the idea for quite a while getting a bench top priming device and although the RCBS one is quite expensive I have leaned towards them because of past experience.

I found out what i thought was a mistake by Lee, is that they too supply free replacement parts. Just pay shipping.
But thats only if you order from lee. Amazon, fs, midway, charge you

Last edited by dandad on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Simmer down wrote:RCBS came through and No Charge!
Large & small.jpg
everything I needed and then some.
RCBS bar.jpg
This is what they look like before & after 250,000 uses.
This is after 250,000 ! Thats really not bad. Ive had cars that didnt last that long. Lol.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
Simmer down wrote:RCBS came through and No Charge!
Large & small.jpg
everything I needed and then some.
RCBS bar.jpg
This is what they look like before & after 250,000 uses.
This is after 250,000 ! Thats really not bad. Ive had cars that didnt last that long. Lol.

Not bad at all. I'm only at 26,000 on my Forster and I believe my wrists will give out before I get the kind of use Simmer got.

That RCBS comped him that part is no surprise. I bought a '70s vintage RCBS sizing die from eBay. The old ones used a threaded bushing for the decapping pin not the new style where the pin is threaded directly into the die body. I contacted them asking if they would sell me the bushing and they sent me two of them, a couple of decapping pin assemblies, plus a handful of the actual pins. I offered to pay but they wouldn't have it.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I do like rcbs decapping set up more than the slip in place of Lee. But not enough to justify the price difference..

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more