Re: RCBS Summit press

Even if there was some equipment available for that kind of press (which I doubt) I would say it's not worth it. Unless you are shooting really expensive ammo like 410 or 28 gauge it might not even be worth doing anyways. Do some research on the components involved with the gauge you would be shooting, wads are a onetime shot and the plastic hulls although much tougher than the old paper hulls do have a limited life span. Shotgun primers cost more than metallic case primers. I know we do have some shotgun reloaders here maybe you should PM one of them.

eelj wrote:Even if there was some equipment available for that kind of press (which I doubt) I would say it's not worth it. Unless you are shooting really expensive ammo like 410 or 28 gauge it might not even be worth doing anyways. Do some research on the components involved with the gauge you would be shooting, wads are a onetime shot and the plastic hulls although much tougher than the old paper hulls do have a limited life span. Shotgun primers cost more than metallic case primers. I know we do have some shotgun reloaders here maybe you should PM one of them.
Thanks. Just trying to figure out what works with what. The 12 gauge don't seem to be extremely expensive, fifty shells go for about the same as 9mm Luger.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I don't reload shotgun yet, but have kicked it around. Will require a different press than this one.

Cost per round of 12 gauge is about $.26- even locally. That said, in the bit of research I've done, you're looking at 6+ reloads out of a shotgun hull, which isn't bad.
Primers- $.03
Wads- $.02
Powder- $.01
Shot (1oz)- $.10 (I've seen this at local clubs for less if you buy reclaimed rather than new)
Hulls- Free to $.07

So on the high end, around $.23 per round, on the low end about $.16, maybe a bit less with reclaimed shot. You can get hulls for free at most local clubs, unlike some where brass picking is a no-no, I've yet to see a place that discourages pickup of hulls. Some are not reloadable, much like steel cases.

Then you also have the cost of the press. Just like reloading for rifle or pistol though, you do get complete control over the process- if you want reduced loads, no problem. Want hotter loads? No problem.

I'll also say, as I was paying attention, that although 12 gauge ammo was in short supply during the panic, shotshell reloading supplies seemed to remain available with no issues.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

My son in law used to shoot trap with his parents for years. Since he has a steamer trunk full of trophies I'm guessing he was quite good at it. He has a complete MEC reloading system for 12 gauge that he stopped using because he didn't think it was worth it anymore.

I know if I had ever gotten in to the sport that I would have a system and make all of my ammo, I've always felt that reloading opened a whole new dimension to shooting sports that makes it worth the time and money.

By the way my son in laws favorite factory ammo is Winchester AA, he buys it by the case.

eelj wrote:My son in law used to shoot trap with his parents for years. Since he has a steamer trunk full of trophies I'm guessing he was quite good at it. He has a complete MEC reloading system for 12 gauge that he stopped using because he didn't think it was worth it anymore.

I know if I had ever gotten in to the sport that I would have a system and make all of my ammo, I've always felt that reloading opened a whole new dimension to shooting sports that makes it worth the time and money.

By the way my son in laws favorite factory ammo is Winchester AA, he buys it by the case.
Good to know.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.