Harbor Freight Reloading Bench Project

Yesterday I bought a workbench from Harbor Freight that I'm making into a dedicated reloading bench so I don't have to share workspace with other projects. It's the one that sells for $150, but I used a 25% off Memorial Day coupon and got it for $113. I put it together last night. Here is a discussion that shows what direction I'm taking it:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... 751&page=2

Early days. My reloading bench, Day1:
20170530_185317_resized.jpg

Re: Harbor Freight Reloading Bench Project

With that wooden vise on the right there, and with the holes in the bench top, you can use it to clamp projects down for messing around with. Those drawers look like they're perfectly placed. Can't get your knees under there, so you'll probably mount the presses on the end there. It is a neat bench and made well. I checked one out.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

HuckleberryFun wrote:Yesterday I bought a workbench from Harbor Freight that I'm making into a dedicated reloading bench so I don't have to share workspace with other projects. It's the one that sells for $150, but I used a 25% off Memorial Day coupon and got it for $113. I put it together last night. Here is a discussion that shows what direction I'm taking it:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... 751&page=2

Early days. My reloading bench, Day1:
20170530_185317_resized.jpg
Yeah, I saw that in their circular.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuckleberryFun wrote:It comes in a flat pack. You put it together like IKEA. No pickup truck needed.
I got it in the trunk of my (full size) car just fine. Had to tie the lid down with twine, but the box only stuck out a few inches: no red flag required.
Great! I've got about 70" before the lift gate gets dodgy about closing, so I think I'm good. :thumbup:
LGC Texas - Vice President

HuckleberryFun wrote:Yesterday I bought a workbench from Harbor Freight that I'm making into a dedicated reloading bench so I don't have to share workspace with other projects. It's the one that sells for $150, but I used a 25% off Memorial Day coupon and got it for $113. I put it together last night. Here is a discussion that shows what direction I'm taking it:
That's a good deal and looks great. Harbor Freight gives the big box stores a run for their money. Reminds me, I've got to stop by my local one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bench Project Update #1 (3 days later):

After getting home from work I did a bit more to the bench.
20170601_154733_resized.jpg
Since the bottom shelf is flimsy, I reinforced it with some scrap 1x6 I had in the garage.
I cut three lengths to 14 1/2" and screwed them underneath the shelf. Now I can put stuff on it like brass cleaning media, brass, cast bullets, dies, or whatever.

I also had a panel of pegboard lying around, so I affixed it to the wall above the bench
so it can hold tools and doodads.

To the left is a bookcase that holds a couple of reloading manuals along with ham radio related texts and other hobby interests. The bench shares a room in a finished basement where all my hobby stuff goes. Other side of the room is a desk with ham radios, and another desk for general workspace to take stuff apart and (sometimes) put it back together again. Carpet over concrete floor, so pretty stable surface.

Built a small platform to fit into the vise to put the press on. Press not mounted yet because I'm waiting for a Lee mount to arrive so I can quickly mount/unmount or change presses. That's all for now. Advice & brilliant ideas welcome.

I use a beam scale, I put a shelf on the wall that holds my scale at eye level.

I also built mine to fit my height since I stand when reloading. I like it rock solid so I attached it to the wall by making a back splash the is attached to the back of the table top and screwed to the wall. It doesn't budge and nothing like primers can fall down behind it.

I've never used a tumbler before but people have reported that they need to be fixed to the table because they will walk across the table when running.

We all come in different shapes and sizes, plus there is physical problems that are factored in, you will have to figure out your needs with experience so it will become a pleasant experience.

eelj wrote:I use a beam scale, I put a shelf on the wall that holds my scale at eye level.

I also built mine to fit my height since I stand when reloading. I like it rock solid so I attached it to the wall by making a back splash the is attached to the back of the table top and screwed to the wall. It doesn't budge and nothing like primers can fall down behind it.

I've never used a tumbler before but people have reported that they need to be fixed to the table because they will walk across the table when running.

We all come in different shapes and sizes, plus there is physical problems that are factored in, you will have to figure out your needs with experience so it will become a pleasant experience.
I'm bidding on a very nice beam scale right now. I'll find out tonight if I got it. I almost got a like-new Ohaus 10-10 scale but someone snapped it up while I dawdled.

I just tumbled my first batch of 250 dirty .308 brass using walnut media filling the tumbler 2/3 full and some capfulls of Berry's Brass Bright additive.
So shiny now...like magic!
20170625_065930_resized.jpg
Left:dirty Right:shiny

I have the tumbler screwed down onto the bench so it won't wander. I put some rubber padding underneath the plywood to dampen vibration. It works well to cut down noise: you can't hear it going in other parts of the house. There must still be vibration though, because I couldn't find the wing nut that fastens down the tumbler top because it walked off the back edge of the bench and lodged between wall and bench edge. Because of that I'll take your advice and close up that gap so nothing else pulls a disappearing act like that in the future.

The bench project is coming along. I'll post another update when I'm done-ish.

Bench update:

Put up a larger pegboard to hold more stuff.

Put bins on pegboard to move brass along each stage of the reloading process.
First bin holds cleaned deprived brass, second holds resized brass, third bin holds primed brass ready for the press. This way I can do a little at a time when I have a little time to spare rather than do one batch all in one go.

Added drawers to hold lots of dirty brass.

Tumbler screwed down on an additional square of plywood with rubber mat underneath.
20170625_124349_resized.jpg
20170625_124627_resized.jpg
Bottom drawer filled with 1700 rounds of dirty Lake City NM brass.
Middle drawer holds .45acp. Top drawer holds 38spl.
Obviously I've been shooting my rifle lots more than pistol. That will soon change.

Re: Harbor Freight Reloading Bench Project.

Arise O thread!
Over a year later and this is what my reloading bench looks like now. Added a Lee Turret Press, a Harrell Powder Measure, and some other stuff. I’ve got it to where it’s comfortable to operate at for longer periods. I’m still using the RCBS scale for rifle loads, but for pistol loads I use the Harrell Schuetzen/Pistol Measure. since it’s consistant-accurate I just check it every 10 loads. I’ll get another Harrell Measure just for rifle when finances allow (whenever that will be...). I’ve been doing a lot of reloading here, especially in the Winter to stock up for next season’s shooting.

0421FDBC-0A78-4773-B07D-F6B8C02AB88F.jpeg
BBA6E6C5-4078-4940-8ADD-13B0C7B9269C.jpeg

eelj wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm Looks outstanding, boy you sure don't scrimp on powder throwers. Is the case trimmer a Wilson? Also it would be nice if you gave your opinion on the Lee priming tool.
The case trimmer is a Wilson: well spotted, eelj. I have a mixed view of the Lee priming tool. It does the job, and I like it right there mounted to the bench, but primer capacity is limited because the primer holder is oddly shaped, and the plastic parts make it feel flimsy. Once it’s set up it just keeps going and is fast, but I keep a Hornady hand priming tool as a backup just in case.
I’d say go ahead and use one if it seems it would fit in with your setup, but keep a backup priming tool on hand.

Just as a thought, as the Harrell throwers are spendy- for that price you could almost pickup the RCBS electronic measure/thrower for your rifle loads. Still individually metered that way, but faster than doing it by hand. I find, with the turret press, that by the time I finish with the primer seating and neck sizing, the next load is ready to be dumped into the case. With the optimized settings it's about 25 seconds to a load, which makes for a nice timing on the rest of the setup.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 am Just as a thought, as the Harrell throwers are spendy- for that price you could almost pickup the RCBS electronic measure/thrower for your rifle loads. Still individually metered that way, but faster than doing it by hand. I find, with the turret press, that by the time I finish with the primer seating and neck sizing, the next load is ready to be dumped into the case. With the optimized settings it's about 25 seconds to a load, which makes for a nice timing on the rest of the setup.
The RCBS is nice.
I gave some real thought to the electronic measures but I wanted a setup that doesn’t require batteries or mains power.
I kind of went out of my way to achieve that and even if I do take a hit in speed and efficiency that’s ok.
The only thing on the bench that needs electricity is the tumbler.