Re: Lead free .308 bullets alone cost more than Aquila ammo.

I'll stick with lead until something denser is approved for private use. ;)

Then again, I am a fan of making projectiles vs buying them even if I do not cast/swage myself. Yet.

Don't want to poison the environment while hunting? Do not miss and definitely carry out your offal. Lead residue in gut piles would be 90% of lead reintroduced to the environment. Scavengers would be the primary vector right after those who do not think anything of leaving the organ meat behind. B eyond that, it falls to badly maintained indoor ranges and dry tumbling.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:I'll stick with lead until something denser is approved for private use. ;)

Then again, I am a fan of making projectiles vs buying them even if I do not cast/swage myself. Yet.

Don't want to poison the environment while hunting? Do not miss and definitely carry out your offal. Lead residue in gut piles would be 90% of lead reintroduced to the environment. Scavengers would be the primary vector right after those who do not think anything of leaving the organ meat behind. B eyond that, it falls to badly maintained indoor ranges and dry tumbling.
You bring up something I hadn't considered yet. What does one use for lead free casting?

m1ckDELTA wrote:
ErikO wrote:I'll stick with lead until something denser is approved for private use. ;)

You bring up something I hadn't considered yet. What does one use for lead free casting?
A foundry.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

m1ckDELTA wrote:
senorgrand wrote:ammoseek.com
I didn't realize ammoseek does projectiles as well. Thanks for the non-calgun type response. I'm just now starting my search for reloading info. Lots of stuff to learn.
Just be carefull...the cheapest non-lead ammo is usually frangible...no go for hunting.

When looking, add "lead free" or "copper" to your search. Once you find something, search by the manufacturer and item number...it might come up cheaper from another vendor that doesn't use those key words in the description. This happens a lot with Hornady bullets.

Good luck.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

To expand a bit on the comments above. When you're looking at reloading, comparing like to like is important when weighing costs.

Copper hunting ammo may run you $2/round, and if you reload it you may only save $.25 the first time, but then you get to re-use the case 5 or 6 times (more if you anneal), so the cost after the first, or if you amortize it over the life of the case, the price drops substantially. Plus you can get match quality reloads for substantially less.

If you're trying to compare it to Wolf, then you'd need to use the cheapest components you can find, as Wolf (other than Gold), is non-reloadable an inconsistent. So surplus bullets, low volume powder, and Tula primers paired with surplus lake city brass would be a closer equivalent. Which is why the comparing like to like mentioned above is so important.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

If I may chime in here..

Forget about cheap ammo except for plinking trips...

If you are reloading, a box of Barnes or Hornady lead free bullets is about the same cost as a box a similar weight lead based bullet.

BUT you get 50 instead of 100. Buy 2 boxes because 50 percent of the time they will be unavailable when you need them right away.

Don't worry about it.. develop your lead free round while shooting lead for practice.

The week before hunting season starts, sight in with your lead free round, and go forth.
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Too many nice 7.62 NATO guns have died at the hands of Russian steel-cased ammo. :no:

(Not referring to 7.62X39 Russian short).

PTR's, M1A's, HK's, FN's---Please, buy good mil surplus, US, or legit European fodder.

It's only a matter of time before you become a believer. :w00t:

If anyone wants recommendations of what/where, please PM me.

Subs

i
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."