Die recommendations and tips for 7.62x53R

I'm starting to gather info for 7.62x53R dies. First question, are dies for 7.62x53R the same as for 7.62x54R? I understand that there may be some variation in bullet size and minor differences in the dimensions between the two. I'm going to slug both my M39 and M28-76 barrels to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Thought?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Die recommendations and tips for 7.62x53R

Are both of them resized for 54r. I think they redid most of their guns for it because they captured so much as they engaged the Soviets.

The Fin I have works better with 182 grain PPU or 180 grain Herters (rebranded S&B). They are brass case so you could try them and reload.

PPU makes a match grade 182 grain.

The Lapua stuff I've seen in 7.62x53r is expensive at a couple bucks a round so I haven't tried it.

http://www.lapua.com/en/ammunition/calibers/762x53r
Brian

Bore slugging will tell you what bullet diameter, and that will tell you what you need your dies to do. There aren't a lot of choices for .310" bullets, but you don't need a lot of choices, just one good one. If your groove diameter is .309 or bigger, it's probably this one, the one your rifle was designed for. http://www.lapua.com/en/reloading-compo ... llets/d166 It is available in both diameters, but in .308 you have a TON of excellent choices.

Marlene wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm Bore slugging will tell you what bullet diameter, and that will tell you what you need your dies to do. There aren't a lot of choices for .310" bullets, but you don't need a lot of choices, just one good one. If your groove diameter is .309 or bigger, it's probably this one, the one your rifle was designed for. http://www.lapua.com/en/reloading-compo ... llets/d166 It is available in both diameters, but in .308 you have a TON of excellent choices.
I'll let y'all know. Thanks.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

eelj wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:22 am As far as dies go there is not a lot of choices. I don't think anybody makes match dies and only RCBS makes a neck sizer. You might look into just adjusting a full length sizer in your press high enough so it only sizes just the neck.
Is a neck sizer specific to a caliber or adjustable?

Slugging is the right way to go- you may find that one is true 308 and the other is 310. I've not had good luck with the d166 bullet availability for reloading, but the Sierra 174 in 310 has performed very well in my rifle.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14822 ... -boat-tail

I use the Hornady match neck sizing die- it has a changeable bushing to do either 310 or 308-
https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/match-grade-dies#!/

And yep, it's universal in either diameter, it's just resizing the neck. You'll also want a FL resizer as that will need to be done on occasion as well. Neck sizing can certainly be done with a FL die, but the neck sizer takes the guesswork out and ensures you get it right without as much futzing around.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

eelj wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Marlene wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am I can't add any new info to these other posts. I can say, though, that I've gotten maybe four loads average. Only one neck split after four. Starline brass.

CDFingers
Starline makes 7.62x54r??!!
No. 7.62x39.
You're right. I meant Lapua brass. Trust records, not memory. :thumbup:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

If looking at recommendations for reloading this cartridge I will recommend you buy 2 brands of brass. The PPU for your Finnish musket and Lapua for the target rifle. Lapua brass is very pricey and you will likely have to wait for sometime before as a scrounger will find anything reusable laying on the ground for free, to much steel cased crap for cheap has been bought. You should look into annealing and neck sizing to extend the life of the brass, especially the Lapua. Maybe if Shinzen comes back to this thread he will describe how he does it.

I had a bad experience with PRVI PPU Brass in 7.62x54R- the primer pockets were all manufactured with an incorrect depth (too deep) so you'd have to baby the primers into place or they'd seat too deep and you'd wonder why you had a failure to fire at the range. I picked up a bag of 100 and all of them that I checked were this way- initially I thought it was me, but it wasn't. Other brands have been fine. I've been using some S&B Match brass from some match grade ammo I picked up 3 or 4 years ago for the last few years. (40 pieces of brass can go a long time)

Annealing is pretty simple- I do an appropriately sized socket in my drill and a propane torch. Plenty of youtube videos on it. I don't water quench. To make sure I'm hitting temp I still use Tempilac 750 on the neck so I don't get it too hot or not hot enough.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm I had a bad experience with PRVI PPU Brass in 7.62x54R- the primer pockets were all manufactured with an incorrect depth (too deep) so you'd have to baby the primers into place or they'd seat too deep and you'd wonder why you had a failure to fire at the range. I picked up a bag of 100 and all of them that I checked were this way- initially I thought it was me, but it wasn't. Other brands have been fine. I've been using some S&B Match brass from some match grade ammo I picked up 3 or 4 years ago for the last few years. (40 pieces of brass can go a long time)

Annealing is pretty simple- I do an appropriately sized socket in my drill and a propane torch. Plenty of youtube videos on it. I don't water quench. To make sure I'm hitting temp I still use Tempilac 750 on the neck so I don't get it too hot or not hot enough.
Good post, nice to know about the PPU brass, I have bought some for my 7.65 Argie and it turned out quite good. I know there are a lot of methods on annealing so it's good to hear from someone who has done it that people here can believe.

Yeah, I suspect it may have just been a bad run of brass- may be fine normally and I just got some that the machine wasn't quite setup right for, since I haven't heard of anyone else having widespread issues with it.

On annealing, I was really nervous about it for the first few times, but it's really just a process, like any other part of our hobby. There's certainly plenty of really expensive gadgets to do the job, but since I only anneal for bolt guns, not worth the investment.
- Maya Angelou

Absorbing...I have lots of PPU cases, I'l check them carefully. Last week I ordered 60 rounds of Lapua 7.62x53R 123gr ammo, most expensive ammo I've ever bought. Will definitely look into annealing them. What's an FL? So I might need a .310 and a .308 neck sizer? I ordered a dial caliper should be accurate to .001". Picking up some 1/4" brass rods today. Have some 1/8 oz egg sinkers. Soon as the caliper comes I'll be ready to slug. Just thinking of using moly grease on the sinker.

FL is an abbreviation for Full Length, as in sizing the entire case rather than just sizing the neck.

Don’t bother annealing the Lapua brass til after the 4th or 5th firing. Unless you’re full length sizing every time or loading super hot loads, Lapua brass should last at least a dozen firings with no annealing.

Grease seems fine. Just be sure to get it out of your note afterwards

Yah on annealing with neck sizing- not every time. I probably do it every 3rd time which is excessive. If I'm going to full length size then I do it prior to sizing for sure though.

On the neck sizer- with the Hornady Match die, you order it in 308, then also order the 310 bushing for it. Then you just swap the bushing when going from one to the other. If I recall correctly, the neck sizer only comes in 308, not 310, so unless both barrels come out right for 308, you'll probably wind up needing to order the set regardless.

Here's the size chart for primer pockets. You can measure the depth with the depth bar (I think that's what it's called) on the end of your calipers.
https://ballistictools.com/articles/pri ... ameter.php
- Maya Angelou

I have slugged the bore on both my Finn Mosins and now shot the MN M28/76 with both the Lapua 123gr 7.62x53R and the PPU 182gr 7.62x54R. While it could handle the slightly larger PPU the Lapua seemed to be a better fit. So this brings me back to this thread. Marlene pointed me to the Lapua components, but the 7.83(.308) is not listed under the 7.62 but is under .30 123gr(8.0g). Out of three types of Lapua all should work with the 7.62x53R case, right? If I have them in correct order FMJ, Scenar, and Scenar-L. So the pressing question is which dies will be a good fit for this 7.62x53R?

Attachments
9A6F0E22-2651-4082-AE83-3242F39FA897.jpeg
B4EC0856-3D33-4DF7-AACC-825893EE5916.jpeg
1F937171-931A-4B24-AC97-D90E0C4A03AB.jpeg