Re: Just when I thought I had all I ever needed...

m1ckDELTA wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 pm What's the difference between a turret head moving vs the shell plate moving?
A rotating turret setup has one shell holder. The rotating plate setup has a shell holder under each die station that advances to the next die station on each pull of the press. Turret = three or four strokes of the lever per completed round. Progressive = one stroke of the lever per completed round, once the shell plate has been filled with cases that have advanced through the progressive stages of the system.

Marlene wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:29 am Yeah. I agree, but it might be more stable this way?

This thing looks nice, but I’m not sure about where they’re going with this intermediate market location.
Yeah, perhaps. I'm guessing perhaps it's trying to be a Dillon 550 competitor? That's where my removable turret head came from- give that all Dillon and lee progressives use a turret, I'm kind of surprised they didn't take advantage of existing tooling to do so with this one.

Also, IMO, every progressive press design going forward should have a primer pocket uniformer built into the stage prior to primer seating.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I was gone while this thread was discussed so I'll throw my 2 cents in now.

A definite step in the right direction for LEE, if they made it manually advanced and a manually operated drop tube primer feed like the old Dillon 450 I'd buy one.

I doubt if there any patent infringement issues involved so they could also make a press based on the Loadmaster that was a copy of the old 450 and I would buy it.

I dunno about the primer feed, eelj, but removing the cam rod from the center to make it manual advance would be a piece of cake. Literally all you have to do is leave one part out. There is also a manually operated primer feed accessory. It isn't the old tubes, but I think the Lee primer tray system is faster to fill and safer to operate and works just as well. Haven't used one of the manual slide mechanisms like the one for this press, but have used the feed tray on their hand primer and progressive presses.

m1ckDELTA wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 pm What's the difference between a turret head moving vs the shell plate moving?
It helps when loading cartridges like 30 carbine. Powders that fill most of the case and have to rotate with the shell holder can toss out powder every time they stop and start. It's pretty much all my 4-hole turret press is used for now. The 30 carbine is tall relative to it's diameter and has a rebated rim that makes it do the 'weeble wobble' .
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.