Re: Vihtavuori Powder?

spara wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm I use N320 for 180 grn Xtreme .40 loads but only for major matches. It meters well, fairly clean and stable across a range of temperatures.
Cool. So, great for major matches, etc, but not practical for practicing with?
Do you use two powders, one for matches the other for training?

I use Bullseye powder for pistol, burns a little dirty but it’s tried and true and relatively cheap.
Mostly IMR 4895 for Rifle. These are usually more than good enough, but...
The IMR especially, you have to keep the cartridges out of the sun or the .308 will vary. Some guys measure brass temp before shooting. I wonder if the Finnish stuff reduces the need for that.

I reloaded a ton of .40 last year thinking I would use it all up this year, but plans changed and I've been shooting mostly 9mm this year. At one time, I bought a bunch of 8lbs jugs of WST on sale and I'm still working my way through it. I've only reloaded 9mm this year and the combination of WST and Blue Bullets has worked well for practice and local matches. I currently don't reload for rifle but there's a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmore coming at the end of the month, so I'm going to have to work up a load for it.

They make a line of high energy powders that are supposed to reach higher velocities than theirs or others normal powders. I have used them a little in an effort to get a little more velocity at 600 yards in the .223. I did not see any significant difference in windage needed. Acquaintances who've used them a lot say the high energy powders shorten barrel life a good bit.

I have some of their pistol powder downstairs for use in a .32 S&W-L GSP this winter.

A lot of the action pistol shooters really like VV powders. The hand loading subforums at places like Brian Enos speak very highly of them. Be careful of data there, as they are trying to squeeze out the last FPS.