New to .45ACP looking for advice

I have just bought a 1911 Springfield A1. I am planning to hand-load for it and I'm trying to get things ready during the 10 day waiting period.
What would you recommend for bullets for someone with only a little experience in 9mm? Should I stick to RN or would HP or FP work as well, 185gr or 230gr? I want to stay away from lead for now.
I'm planning to use HP38 cause I already have some and it's not too spiky. So I go to the Lyman 49th edition, I look at 185gr Jacketed HP 1.175 OAL and I find two different suggested starting loads for HP38(3.5gr) and Win 231(4.4gr)! :wacko: Aren't they supposed to be the same powder?
I am open to any other thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Re: New to .45ACP looking for advice

Yes, they're the same powder, and I have no idea why they're reported differently in reloading guides. I've run across that in several chamberings. You can definitely work up a good load with HP-38; I've used it with .45 before I settled on Titegroup.

1911s really like RN, and may choke on other styles. I have a Springfield that will eat anything, but my Ruger is reliable only with 230 grain RN and RN-shaped HP. It depends on the gun's quirks. Lighter bullets may require changing to a lighter recoil spring, should you run into problems when you try lighter weights. You may need to experiment to see what loads your new gun likes. Sticking with the old standard might prevent malfunctions while you're breaking it in. The overall length of the cartridge is another variable you may need to experiment with to see what your gun prefers. I have some that like 1.20, and a couple that have trouble unless they're more like 1.24.

If keeping costs down is of interest to you, check out coated and plated bullets rather than FMJ. I shoot a lot of Moly-coated from Bear Creek and HiTek-coated from Missouri Bullets. Rocky Mountain Reloading is a good source for high quality, lower cost plated bullets-- I use those in my .45ACP revolvers because I get leading from coated bullets in those for some reason.

Looking forward to seeing a photo when you get it!
Reunite Pangea!

As a side note, unless a gun's rarity makes it a collectors piece or just something so unusually beautiful that I would keep it just to fondle every once in a Blue Moon, I'd probably consider a "picky" autoloader to be a personal affront by the mechanical object. Which is to say I'd probably start going after the ramped barrel with a sandpaper or file, polishing it until it runs reliably with everything short of wad-cutters!

But that's me. I'm sadistically unforgiving of mechanical things that way (or maybe just masochistic in not leaving good enough alone).

As for HP-38 and Win 231 being the same powder, much has been written on the internet about why they appear different in the loading charts. I personally believe they are the same powder by Olin manufacturing. Which of course throws into question the actual science behind these load recommendations data...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

eelj wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am Bullseye powder was developed for the 45 acp and has worked so well that there have been many billions of rounds produced with it. The 230gr FMJ and Bullseye have been married to each other since 1913, 4 wars and more civilian match wins than can be counted. It's also pretty cheap to buy.
:thumbup: Tried and true. I would start with the this standard before trying other reloads.

Also I don't know if you are going to reload starting with used brass or with new. But if you reload used brass watch out, there are some brands that use small pistol primers and other that use large pistol primers. This can be a big PIA when you are reloading and the primer doesn't fit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

My own recollection on the development of ball powder like 231 stemmed from some problems with metering issues that have been attributed to certain flake powders in progressive presses.

The use of small primers for the 45 acp is the result of the use of those powders, Bullseye works great with either size primer. Also since 86 I have reloaded for my handguns almost exclusively with my Dillon and have never had any issues with bullseye metering.

Not having at least 2 or 3 lbs of bullseye on hand would be like not having any pasta in my cupboard, it would make me feel kind of anxious.