9.3x72R

Picked up a neat sxs hammer combo gun in 16 gauge and 9.3x72R.

Working out loading for this cartridge. Correct bullets are 200 grain .364”. I’ve found brass. Think of this as .38-55 but nearly an inch longer, and lighter bullets at higher velocities. Smokeless loads (my gun is nitro proofed) are similar to 35 Remington.

The origin of this cartridge is the British 360 2 1/4” Express. German gunsmiths adopted this cartridge, changed dimensions slightly (either for proprietary purposes or in translation from one measurement system to another). Later it made the transition to smokeless (both versions did) and variations of greater length evolved from the original 57mm to 63 and 72mm. (There were 2 1/4”, 2 7/16”, and 2 3/4” versions in the land of Queen Victoria.

It was quite popular in combination guns and drilings.

Will post pics as I get loading components in hand.

Re: 9.3x72R

I really want pics of this gun, Marlene. I love dual caliber guns no matter they never end up being as practical as I would wish.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 am Looks like a shotgun. Is it an accurate shooter?
Left barrel is 16 gauge shotgun. Right barrel is rife in the caliber this thread is about. I’m in the process of trying to build ammunition for it and haven’t shot it yet because no ammo.

I have a Valmet double, for which you could buy rifle and combination gun barrel sets. I have a set of the similar 9.3x74R barrels, plus a 9.3/12 gauge barrel set. Recoil with factory ammo with the 9.3x74R is not objectionable, but I have shot it more with cast Lead bullets than jacketed. I find it pleasant compared to my .375 H&H.

I have hunted with it also. The problem you will find with jacketed 9.3mm bullets is that most of them are made for something like the 9.3x62, and are intended to shoot something really tough like a water buffalo. A bullet like that will not cause much damage on a deer because it does not expand much. Norma may be the exception: they make a 232gr bullet, which I have bought a bunch of, but have not shot anything with.

My source for 200 grain .364” bullets might surprise folks. They’re unsized bullets intended to be .361” final diameter 200 grain round nose bullets for .38-200 Enfield MkI.

Got the brass, used .38 S&W dies to seat a bullet in an unsized case. Doesn’t chamber.

Figured out that the chamber tapers a bit more tightly going forward from the base than the Norma brass does from the factory.

I figure that if I can get it chambered once, I’ll never need to full length size it again. Low pressure cartridges can be cool that way. I’ll just keep neck sizing either in the 38 S&W dies or make a simple die to use with an arbor press.

So now the question becomes whether I make or buy a custom full-length size die, or I figure a way to fake it.

After careful measurements, I’m gonna try to fake it. I have a spare 30-30 die that’s cut to tighter dimensions than is good for loading 30-30. I think if I drill the neck out of this die, the body taper will get me what I need. Off to the lathe, fingers crossed.
Attachments
AE60A094-A74D-4064-B967-D7300C5D9367.jpeg

They list the 9.3x72 as one they can't make because of no shell holder:
Cartridges we are unable to produce because they are either too short or we don't have a shell holder for:

9.3X72
Unless theres a non rimmed version and they mean that.