Finally got the loads right

OK. Now that I have a proper scale and I can weigh my powder accurately, I've been able to make consistently successful handloads for the first time. I made 20 rounds and had no failures of any kind - everything went perfectly. More than that, it looks like my catridges were just as good as factory loads. Here's photos of 4 five shot groups at 7 yards - on the left is Remington UMC 230gr FMJ, and on the right is my own load (Hornady cases, Federal primers, Hornady 230 gr FMJ-RN, 6.1 gr exactly of Hodgdon Longshot).

Although my shooting skill leaves something to be desired my hand loads produced groups just as good as the factory loads, so I'm happy. Next up I'll make a series of rounds with different amounts of powder and see what effect that has.

One thing I'm disappointed in, though, is that recovering my brass is harder than I had hoped. About half of it is falling forward of the firing line and getting lost in the huge pile of brass there. Oh well.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Finally got the loads right

Yes, very good results, Eris!
:bananadance:

Stand further back from the firing line to recover more of your brass. Don’t be shy to ask the RO for help too. Sometimes they may actually help you with a big broom or even give you some brass of your caliber if they know you reload (we’re all enthusiasts after all). Because otherwise they just sell the brass by the pound to recyclers or trade for reloads.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi