redoing my reloading bench

i have my press bolted to the bench in my shed but it's inconvenient, mostly because everything gets all jumbled together, woodworking, automotive, you name it. now that we're more or less stuck at home there's plenty of time to work on my stuff, so i decided to move it all to an empty corner of the shed. and then i figured i'd invite you all to peek in on the process.

this is all bits i have laying around. 2x3, plywood, screws. there are the big pieces: dillon RL550 press, powder scale, case cleaner, case trimmer,bucket-o-brass.. and then there are all the little bits, powder scoops, measures, dies, powder, bullets... so some will reside on or under the bench, some on shelves or hanging from hooks or pegboard. the details will be worked out as we go along, and likely will continue to evolve. i might even reload some cartridges!
IMG_0483.jpg
bench top
IMG_0512.jpg
2 more shelves
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: redoing my reloading bench

CDFingers wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm Oh, sweet. I like natural light.
part of what inspired this is that i finally got a guy in to wire the shop, overhead lights and outlets so i don't have to do everything by flashlight or run an extension cord across the yard, which can get exciting when it's time to cut the grass.
kronkmusic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:31 pm Looking nice lurk!
thanks! hopefully it will look better and better over the next week.

Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:02 pm
lurker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:00 am oooo, magic! i should warn you, i plan to use the same bullets i use in 30-06 (150 grn flat base) and/or 7.62x51(147 grn BT)
But you could use 175 Sierra Match Kings in all of them ;)
i suppose i could, but long ago i bought a bucket-load of lake city pulls, haven't even dented the supply. i'll likely get back to this after my regularly scheduled afternoon nap.

so i've separated out all of the actual reloading stuff and put it on/under the bench. i found my stash of 30-06. now, what to do with all of this... stuff? trying to keep gun-but-not-reloading stuff away for now. there's a ton of brass to clean and much of that to deprime, awaiting its turn in 1/2 gallon jugs underneath. the press will mount on top and the accessories will likely go on top or hang in plain sight and easy reach on the walls. i'm out of pegboard, trying to avoid a trip into town. i'll figure something out. maybe shelves between the wall studs.
IMG_0519.jpg

Myat wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 pm Yearning for a garage/shop again. Current living conditions are lacking such. Once I get another house, going to get into reloading, myself. Looks good, man. Very envious! 👍👍
i built it from a kit. it arrived as 2 pallet-loads. came with 2 windows, i added 2 more, and you'll have to build your own foundation.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Comm ... ed/3412786
LUGO1191.JPG

lurker wrote:
Myat wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 pm Yearning for a garage/shop again. Current living conditions are lacking such. Once I get another house, going to get into reloading, myself. Looks good, man. Very envious!
i built it from a kit. it arrived as 2 pallet-loads. came with 2 windows, i added 2 more, and you'll have to build your own foundation.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Comm ... ed/3412786
LUGO1191.JPG
Been wanting to do a proper shed, got a space in my side yard that would be perfect, maybe I'll move it up the list after all this shit passes.

kronkmusic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 pm Been wanting to do a proper shed, got a space in my side yard that would be perfect, maybe I'll move it up the list after all this shit passes.
don't tell the lady of the house about it or she'll try to claim it for gardening or something. "shed? what shed? i don't see a shed." good luck with that.
eta: on closer inspection i see the one in the link is not the one i got. close, tho.

lurker wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 pm Been wanting to do a proper shed, got a space in my side yard that would be perfect, maybe I'll move it up the list after all this shit passes.
don't tell the lady of the house about it or she'll try to claim it for gardening or something. "shed? what shed? i don't see a shed." good luck with that.
eta: on closer inspection i see the one in the link is not the one i got. close, tho.
Oh I already drew that line in the sand. We have a couple smaller storage sheds for paint cans/yard tools/seasonal decorations, that kinda crap. I bought a new one a few months ago for just outside the patio. She tried putting crap in it and I had to put my foot down right away. I bought it specifically to house tools that I don't have room for inside the house but need easy access to. Having it filled with crap that messed up my tool organization and hindered that easy access just wasn't gonna fly. The two guest bedrooms, and the rest of the inside of the house really, is pretty much hers to do with as she wishes. I know where to pick my battles, and a full size work shed will be a hill I'll be willing to die on. "But you have so much room in there!" That's right, "I" have so much room in there, and I need it to work, make space in one of your 3 bedrooms or 4 closets if you want more crap.
Last edited by kronkmusic on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDFingers wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am "I" have so much room in there, and I need it to work, make space in one of your 3 bedrooms or 4 closets if you want more crap.
That trick never works.

CDFingers
Hah! Like I said, that is a hill I'd be willing to die on. I know where to pick my battles, I don't hold firm on much around the house that isn't directly related to security and safety, so when I do she tends to yield.