Re: redoing my reloading bench

When you're focused on getting something done, and something that will contribute to success ships, well, that rocks.

You're not just going to do what I would, which is close the door on the old shop and forget about it, hoping elves would visit and organize it--are you?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:01 am You're not just going to do what I would, which is close the door on the old shop and forget about it, hoping elves would visit and organize it--are you?
if i did that, i'd have to build another shop. :no:

i went to the dollar store and bought some little plastic storage boxes and sorted 90% of the "junk" into them and lo and behold, there's a workbench under there! need to get 2 or 3 more boxes today.

i'm also hoping to get some .45acp done today. tomorrow an LGC member is planning to come up to learn how to reload pistol cartridges. i want to be sure that it all works before he arrives.

i can't shoot it right now, so i figure i'll build the stockpile.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

i'll go check in a while, but i think it's 230 grn fmj over 4.2 grn of clays. :)
correction: 4.5 grains.
got a good look at the packaging. back in the day, 1000 double-swaged fmj ranier bullets cost (coincidence?) $45.
and primers. 100 for $2.59
that should give a feel for how long i've had this stuff.

loaded up some .45acp just to be sure everything still works, had a couple of malfs, misaligned bullets in the seating process, will have to tear down and discard those. i think i'm not belling the mouth enough in the charging step, likely need to adjust the charging die. also had problems with crooked primers not seating. i don't remember it being this tricky.
IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
LUGO1800.JPG
still, i have 4 more cartridges than i had. feels good.

lurker wrote:loaded up some .45acp just to be sure everything still works, had a couple of malfs, misaligned bullets in the seating process, will have to tear down and discard those. i think i'm not belling the mouth enough in the charging step, likely need to adjust the charging die. also had problems with crooked primers not seating. i don't remember it being this tricky.
IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
LUGO1800.JPG
still, i have 4 more cartridges than i had. feels good.
Hey, that's more than half a magazine in your 1911!

kronkmusic wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:40 pm
lurker wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:32 pm
lurker wrote: still, i have 4 more cartridges than i had. feels good.
Hey, that's more than half a magazine in your 1911!
nope, sorry, i use 8 rounders, so exactly half.
Well excuuuuse me! Big man coming through with the 'stendos!
negative. chip mcCormick shooting stars. very very reliable, too. :sneaky:
https://magcommander.com/chip-mccormick ... -magazine/
if i wanted extended mags i'd go to the 10s.

oh, yeah, powder dispenser and 7.62 nato dies due monday!

lurker wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:07 am i'll go check in a while, but i think it's 230 grn fmj over 4.2 grn of clays. :)
correction: 4.5 grains.
got a good look at the packaging. back in the day, 1000 double-swaged fmj ranier bullets cost (coincidence?) $45.
and primers. 100 for $2.59
that should give a feel for how long i've had this stuff.
I went to the hodgdons reload tables and they suggest that maximum for a 230gr bullet is 4.0 grs of clays. What data are you using?

i don't know.
ordinarily i would say my decades-old 4th ed hornady's manual, but i just checked and it doesn't list clays for .45acp at all. but 20 yrs ago i clearly marked the powder measure at 4.5, and i've loaded and shot hundreds of them at 4.5. i'll look into it, thanks!

reloading demo seems to have been a success. NC member came and we spent a couple of hours pulling the crank. i started by demonstrating a couple of failure modes (where's that primer pocket reamer?) got the case mouth expander adjusted and after a couple of successes i handed it over to my guest, who proceeded to happily load about 30 cartridges, w/me explaining and answering questions as we went. after a while i sent him home, lest i be accused of using forced/slave labor to manufacture munitions.

yes, it was very worthwhile and i've extended the offer to the rest of the NC chapter.

what the heck, even if you're our newest member from alaska but you're going to be in the neighborhood, let me know and i'll give you the barest minimum of training and put you to work making me ammo. we'll call it a "reloading workshop" ;)

i'm still trying to figure out how i've got an unverified, not-recommended loading formula taped onto my 45acp powder measure. the paper and tape are yellowed from age so it's likely been on there for 15 or 20 years. but the writing is still clear as day. i can't find any mention of clays for 45acp in my manual, in fact i cant find any of the 4 powders i own listed for 45acp. maybe conflated with one of the other cartridges i load? nope not 30-40. not .223 or 30-06 either. i have no idea.

:) more ammo, less tedium, less chance of fumbling, what's not to like?i'll set it up and give it a run tonight or tomorrow. and i need another die head for my press now. the sooner i order, the sooner it arrives. $27.99 before shipping/tax.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550- ... 23605.html
or this, $21,50, free shipping.
https://www.joferusa.com/?wpsc-product= ... olhead-raw
or 2 in bare aluminum for $34, free shipping.
https://www.joferusa.com/?wpsc-product= ... age-handle