rifle primers

Unfortunately this could be a problem again for re-loaders, primer scarcity. This article from gun digest points out differences in burn rates of primers.

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/reloa ... ifferences I know during the last famine people were forced to use what ever they could find. Some of the results were quite eye opening like mag primers being unnecessary in pistol loads.

As always start low and build up slowly when changing primer brands.

Re: rifle primers

Excellent advice..that's probably the biggest glitch with being forced to use whatever you can manage to procure. In my case I have like 40 years of loading notes and inherited my FIL's notebook with data going back to the 1940's and '50's. Having to start over because I can't get Unique or Reloder 26 or AR-Comp or CCI primers is a giant pain. And can be dangerous.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I was able to get 1000 Remington 9 1/2 LRPs from a small shop local to me. They mostly do fishing gear and have a small gun shop in the back. Sometimes you'll only find these things at hole-in-the-wall places that don't show upucj on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m researching components, primers in this case. So far what I’ve read indicates that CCI BR 2 is workable as a primer for a semiautomatic .308 Win round. There seem to be other large rifle primers as well, but I had not thought a semiautomatic would require a different round. Any experience appreciated. I will be looking for primers for .308 Win semiautomatic rifle, 30-06 Springfield semiautomatic Garand and 7.62x53R (54R) bolt action rifles. Would the same primer work in all or is there some that are preferable over others? Thanks. (No hurry since primers are not really in stock. I’m making a list of components I’ll be buying. The powder manufacturer when I find them in stock will be Vihtavuori and Lapua brass and bullets.)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Same primers are fine. I only use benchrest primers in my target rifle. Benchrest primers are generally more expensive and not needed for most semi autos.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:30 pm Same primers are fine. I only use benchrest primers in my target rifle. Benchrest primers are generally more expensive and not needed for most semi autos.
Thanks, when they come in stock I’ll buy some Benchrest.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

ErikO wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:45 am The difference between Benchrest and Standard primers is consistency of primer compound levels.
Thanks. I was getting to that conclusion, just was not sure.

The stuff inside centerfire primers set off with a firing pin, no matter who makes them, is either lead styphnate or lead azide and an oxidizer. Lead free primers have been developed. Electric priming is a different chemical. Rimfire cartridges have wet primer compound dropped into empty brass and the brass is spun to distribute the primer compound.

The differences in similar classes (small or large, pistol or rifle) of primers made by different companies may come about due to metal sensitivity, amount of priming compound, or impurities in the priming compound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(firearms)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_azide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_styphnate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centerfire_ammunition

lurker wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm i've been using the the same CCI large rifle primers in all of my rifle carts (30-40, 30-06, .308win) except 5.56, which takes small.
Yeah I use the CCI Large Rifle in my 7.62x39 and my 270. They work fine.
Crow
Minute Of Average

What are APS strips? I see boxes of primers saying it’s APS BR2 and some not. What is a strip for and can they be used interchangeably?

based on nothing, i decided the strips are about the feed mechanism for the press, and the primers themselves are the same. i might be mistaken.
eta: feed, not fed. typo preserved for all eternity in the next 5 posts. :wall:
Last edited by lurker on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:23 am based on nothing, i decided the strips are about the fed mechanism for the press, and the primers themselves are the same. i might be mistaken.
I believe this is true. There's a tool that feeds the strip so you don't have to fumble finger them out of a tray. I bought some small rifle primers on strips back when all primers started going out of stock because they were the only ones available. Figured I could just push them out of the strips. Some day, I need to load some 6.5 Grendel for the rifle I still need to assemble. 6.5 G is unobtanium around these parts.

featureless wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:33 am
lurker wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:23 am based on nothing, i decided the strips are about the fed mechanism for the press, and the primers themselves are the same. i might be mistaken.
I believe this is true. There's a tool that feeds the strip so you don't have to fumble finger them out of a tray. I bought some small rifle primers on strips back when all primers started going out of stock because they were the only ones available. Figured I could just push them out of the strips. Some day, I need to load some 6.5 Grendel for the rifle I still need to assemble. 6.5 G is unobtanium around these parts.
Did pushing them out work easily?

sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 am
Haven't tried yet. A hammer and nail probably isn't the way to go about it, thought. :lol:

featureless wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:23 am
Haven't tried yet. A hammer and nail probably isn't the way to go about it, thought. :lol:
Probably not! :roflmao: I have no idea what this strip looks like. Just wondering if it’s worth buying even though I wouldn’t need one if it becomes available and the ones that don’t have them are not. It does add cost.

Yeah it's super easy, at least on the CCI strips of small rifle primers I panic bought a while back. I just nudge them out with a q-tip. Best to do this from the "outside" of the primer so you don't get fuzz stuck around the anvil. But they pop right out! I save my empty primer trays and just push them out of the strip and into the tray. Takes a couple minutes to load up a tray of 100.
Crow
Minute Of Average

RCBS makes the APS priming strips to be used with their proprietary system. The now discontinued Pro 2000 press used it in lieu of tubes. There is a hand held priming device, as well as bench mount and press mount (in die station) versions. The empty strips can be re-loaded after use with their loading tool and empty strips can be purchased as well.
Attachments
p2000b.jpg
p2000b.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
p2000a.jpg
p2000a.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
p2000.jpg
p2000.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2046 times