Re: Is now a bad time to learn how to reload?

I saved mine for years. And years. And years. Lots of '06 Springfield, .30 Carbine, .45 & .40. Even purchased a couple of reloading manuals (Lyman and Hornady) and actually studied. And couldn't make up my mind what devices to commit to.

So...it sat. For more years.

The range I use sells spent brass as a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. As I already had it sorted, I gave it to them. The .45 & .30 Carbine went almost overnight...the '06 took about a week. I think the .40 is still there. It's been sitting there for years. I feel a little guilty about that.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

It's a great time to learn as there are limited options in ammunition if one wants to keep shooting thru this recent hoarding and shortage. That said, there is a big problem finding components as well. Good time t learn - not a good supply chain of components.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Check pawn shops for estate sales. You might find some powder that might have been opened but still contains more than half of the container. I've bought primers at my local pawn shop that was a box of a thousand but 100 were used and the remaining 800-900 were $20. A brand new box of 1000 primers is upward of $45-50. Your other possibility is to combine orders with a group to split the shipping and hazmat fees.

USA Midway often has free shipping if your order is more than $49.

I had the same question as I’m starting to branch out in calibers, and as I assume ammo prices aren’t getting better any time soon.

What does a decent reloading setup cost for jigs, press, etc? How much space is needed for a reloading area? Space is my big issue, as I’m in a one bedroom cottage at the moment. When I buy my first place a garage and/or a second bedroom will be an absolute requirement.
“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” -Robert Capa

speedydave wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:35 pm I had the same question as I’m starting to branch out in calibers, and as I assume ammo prices aren’t getting better any time soon.

What does a decent reloading setup cost for jigs, press, etc? How much space is needed for a reloading area? Space is my big issue, as I’m in a one bedroom cottage at the moment. When I buy my first place a garage and/or a second bedroom will be an absolute requirement.
Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56880

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 pm
speedydave wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:35 pm I had the same question as I’m starting to branch out in calibers, and as I assume ammo prices aren’t getting better any time soon.

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56880

CDFingers
I saw this thread a while ago and has forgotten about it. Thanks, CD! :thumbup:
“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” -Robert Capa

Check for used equipment first. Presses and dies should be high on your list. I have 3 single stage presses that I probably paid $75 for all 3. A brand new Rockchucker is over $100. Sometimes you can find used dies in good condition. Take a small flashlight with you, open the box and use your flashlight to look up inside the dies. A bit of rust is OK. If it's full of dirt and old lube, forget it.

With space as an issue, my recommendation is to start with a Lee Hand Press ( https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html ) rather than a bench-mounted press; you can move to the bench-mounted press as appropriate for you. It takes standard dies & shell holders, so no worries there; once you're done using it, you put it in your "box of reloading stuff" and store it away.

I started with one many decades ago, and used it for a number of years before I was where I could set up a bench-mounted press; it still gets use for some things - a decapping die gets a lot of use in it. [BTW, if you get one, be SURE to empty the spent primers from the ram about every 20 or so shells - if you don't, you can get to a point where you have a partially removed primer hanging the shell up in the shell holder, which is rather a PITA to deal with; at the very least, it breaks your rhythm...]
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

ErikO wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 pmSuboptimal.
Yeah, it's not a Rockchucker or Dillon 550 on a 250 lb. loading bench - however...

For getting started in reloading when you have minimal space (certainly not enough to set up a dedicated bench), the Lee Hand Press does quite well, and could indeed be the optimal solution in this circumstance. When a reloading session is finished, everything can be put in a shoebox and put away in the closet.

It does have limitations, but within those limits it does a very good job - I wouldn't try bullet swaging, case forming, or other procedures requiring substantial effort, but I've loaded many thousands of handgun rounds (.32 up to .45) with mine. My experience with rifle rounds on it is limited to .223 and .45/70 (feeding a Ruger #3), again without issue.

Since it uses standard dies and shellholders, an eventual move to a bench-mount press will be easy, since everything will carry over - there's nothing unique or proprietary to it, no new accessories would be needed. I think it's a good start for a novice, as it can produce ammo every bit as good as a bench-mounted press, while keeping the initial cost low - if interest wanes, no big loss.
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

For me I got supper lucky over the last few months when it came to getting components. When it comes to my .223, 9mm and 45ACP and 38/357 I am going to be fine for a very long time. Enough so I am tempted to sell a lot of the ammo I have been picking up this year and flipping it at inflated prices on another forum. One that I was chastised for calling out the greed of retailers jacking up the price. I was told it is merely what the environment is willing to pay and that commerce is what this country was built on. Hmmm, built on fucking people over, check!
No colon and still rollin'

If you wait a year for prices to come down, they probably won't, since the BLM protests are not going away and if the Dems win the election that will just drive up the hoarding even higher. But you would be a year older and still not have learned reloading, so there is that. ;)

I'd say pick one caliber that you can make good use of it and get the basic gear for it. The only press I've ever used is the Lee breechlock hand press. It's slow to use, but I like it.

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-ha ... s-kit.html
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed