Re: a possible stickie

Oldskool wrote:That is a wealth of info. I hear his name as much as the LBT guy whose name I just now forgot. lol.
Veral Smith. The guy makes the best molds money can buy, but he is beyond weird. Still he designs the best bullets and builds the best molds.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:
Oldskool wrote:That is a wealth of info. I hear his name as much as the LBT guy whose name I just now forgot. lol.
Veral Smith. The guy makes the best molds money can buy, but he is beyond weird. Still he designs the best bullets and builds the best molds.
I called him once and he is weird. He said every gun should have it's own mold. Can you imagine having dozens of guns and a mold made for each one? That's crazy talk.

Re: an online book and its not just about casting

Fryxell's book is very good, there's a ton of great info at the LASC site in addition to Glenn's book including an article or two by Ed Harris, now there's another guy who knows his cast bullets esp in rifle shooting.....

Ed's loads of 16g of 2400 in any full size (308 or larger) .30 caliber case works and well behind most any cast bullet you can chamber as does his 13g of Red Dot... I use the 2400 load for my 91 Argentine Mauser, shoots pretty good for a 113 yo rifle ( Ed recs '98 or newer though lots of people use these for '91 and '95 small ring Mausers)....

I'm about to test a gas cked bore rider with a .301 nose at speed in the 06's.....The same bullet over Trail Boss shot very well slow, actually subsonic....I'm hoping to find the same success over 4895 at about 2200fps with a harder melt, that will be a nice load and hopefully as accurate as it was shot slow.

Question eelj, do you think an alox dip in addition to the 50/50 I'm using in the sizer might help? I'm thinking the nose as it is in the lands could use a little lube too, might be unneeded with the gas ck but?

Plus Ed's Red is the best bore and general gun cleaner out there and it's cheap compared to Hoppes or similar....I finally got some odorless Kero so my guns don't stink when cleaned.....man it eats carbon though, best I've found for stainless revolvers.....

buddabelly wrote:Fryxell's book is very good, there's a ton of great info at the LASC site in addition to Glenn's book including an article or two by Ed Harris, now there's another guy who knows his cast bullets esp in rifle shooting.....

Ed's loads of 16g of 2400 in any full size (308 or larger) .30 caliber case works and well behind most any cast bullet you can chamber as does his 13g of Red Dot... I use the 2400 load for my 91 Argentine Mauser, shoots pretty good for a 113 yo rifle ( Ed recs '98 or newer though lots of people use these for '91 and '95 small ring Mausers)....

I'm about to test a gas cked bore rider with a .301 nose at speed in the 06's.....The same bullet over Trail Boss shot very well slow, actually subsonic....I'm hoping to find the same success over 4895 at about 2200fps with a harder melt, that will be a nice load and hopefully as accurate as it was shot slow.

Question eelj, do you think an alox dip in addition to the 50/50 I'm using in the sizer might help? I'm thinking the nose as it is in the lands could use a little lube too, might be unneeded with the gas ck but?

Plus Ed's Red is the best bore and general gun cleaner out there and it's cheap compared to Hoppes or similar....I finally got some odorless Kero so my guns don't stink when cleaned.....man it eats carbon though, best I've found for stainless revolvers.....
I've never used liquid alox, I have not used Lee sizer dies before. I plan to use the Lee dies when I start casting for my rifles. I also have a 1891 Argie. stock was boogered and I would like to get a bunch of brass and dies and start shooting cast in it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

mine is a 50's sporter, og stock cut down, shortened barrel and drilled for a scope, I put a Weaver k6 I found on it and it's had nothing but cast since I finally bought some 7.65 Arg brass.... Grafs had Privi Partisan at a decent price....

I had been trying to use cut and reformed 06 brass but found the neck after shortening was too thick for a safe release so it was buy the neck turning attachment for my little Lyman trimmer or get the right brass.....I got the right brass....

I like Alox on pistol bullets but have only tried it for rifle at low speed....The Lee sizers work well but I prefer the Lyman for some esp rifle bullets, the lee uses the next bullet to push the first through the die and I found they boogered up the tips on anything but super hard melts, work great for wadcutters and semi wads though. not really faster as you have to lube before and after sizing and the lube has to dry over night so....

I'll try a few both ways and then see if either leaded up I think sized to .310 and gas cked I'll be fine either way but figured I'd ask anyway...

Recipe for Ed's Red if anyone wants it, It's my favorite though I miss the smell of Hoppes

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

I'm using the Lee 312 185 1r as cast water dropped tumble lubed and it's nice over the 16 of 2400.. I haven't slugged the bore but the .302 or so nose of the bullet has movement lots actually, more than I'd like......it's the same one I'm sizing to .310 for the 30=06 but there I get a nice engraving on the whole nose.....

I tried a few of the 160g that Lee makes for the x39 but it liked the long bullet better

I get hung on the politics most of the time it seems, the atmosphere has been pretty toxic for gun owners over at the GOS so I figured I'd drop in again and see how y'all have been...

And trying to learn how to use an old Power PC iMac on the modern web....heh it's different than my windoze boxes that's for sure....highly frustrating at times but I think I'm getting there...

Nice to see some casting going on too with the reloading now....

Getting a good shooting bullet over a nice load feels good when you cast them too.....

I'll be around more often as I'm pretty burnt on the average "progressive" as defined at the GOS though it is nice to see all kinds of people jumping and defending the RKBA group when we're unfairly slammed.....Still I need to spend more time on the bench and less on the box......

ever do any cast with a microgroove? I can't get my favorite bullet to chamber in my 1894s .44mag so I picked up the 240g Lee semiwad tumble lube design and it chambers great and seems to shoot pretty good but I've only tried one load at steel....

Cast bullets in 1891 Argies.... adding my voice to the choir. I'm still building mine. The barrel was pitted beyond re use and I still working on re barreling it in 275 Rigby. The plan is to shoot cast bullets most of the time with it. The barrel has an 1 in 8.5 twist, so I'm wondering if the Lee 130 grain mold might be a good fit for this barrel, or if I should look at a heavier bullet. I have finally submitted to the final stage of the reloading affliction. Casting bullets...
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:Cast bullets in 1891 Argies.... adding my voice to the choir. I'm still building mine. The barrel was pitted beyond re use and I still working on re barreling it in 275 Rigby. The plan is to shoot cast bullets most of the time with it. The barrel has an 1 in 8.5 twist, so I'm wondering if the Lee 130 grain mold might be a good fit for this barrel, or if I should look at a heavier bullet. I have finally submitted to the final stage of the reloading affliction. Casting bullets...
I use a Lee mold marketed for the 7.7 JAP, weighs 180grs and drops at .315. Shoot very nice with 12 grs of SR4756. You would be happier with a heavier bullet than 130 grs.

I was surprised on reading the NRA casting book: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Classi ... lets-s.pdf that a lot of the more obscure topics that Glen Fryxell's book covers were first covered there. I believe that Fryxell started from that book, and wrote his book to organize and supplement the NRA book. The NRA book is less organized, since it's just a collection of articles and Q&A's, but it's chock-a-block with useful info.

eelj wrote:
drigeba wrote:Cast bullets in 1891 Argies.... adding my voice to the choir. I'm still building mine. The barrel was pitted beyond re use and I still working on re barreling it in 275 Rigby. The plan is to shoot cast bullets most of the time with it. The barrel has an 1 in 8.5 twist, so I'm wondering if the Lee 130 grain mold might be a good fit for this barrel, or if I should look at a heavier bullet. I have finally submitted to the final stage of the reloading affliction. Casting bullets...
I use a Lee mold marketed for the 7.7 JAP, weighs 180grs and drops at .315. Shoot very nice with 12 grs of SR4756. You would be happier with a heavier bullet than 130 grs.
Just a heads-up, I got into trouble here some years back for saying 7.7 "Jap". I was advised that y'all still consider it racist even if it does say that on the headstamp.

Regards,

Josh

Oldskool wrote:
eelj wrote:
I called him once and he is weird. He said every gun should have it's own mold. Can you imagine having dozens of guns and a mold made for each one? That's crazy talk.
It used to be that every gun did come with its own mold made to the groove diameter of the rifle.

Some folks still do this. I believe Lee, at least, offers custom sized boolit sizers, which makes a bit more sense today.

Josh