Noob Question

Maybe this shouldn't matter so much, but if I own a gun I'd like it to look nice. So for a future pistol I'm looking at the Kimber 1911 Custom II. I like black with shiny details and this pistol works for me. (I'd probably get rosewood grips.) The local range has one for rent, and I looked at it today. The problem is the shiny parts are no longer shiny, esp the barrel and slide rod, which isn't too surprising. Is it possible to keep these areas clean and (you guessed it) shiny looking? Or if I get this gun, hoping for it to stay nice looking, am I going to be disappointed?

A related question: do people get stainless steel parts chromed? It seems like I heard somewhere that chroming isn't good for firearms.
There is no reason why . . . the state should not help to organize a comprehensive system of social insurance in providing for those common hazards of life against which few can make adequate provision.--Friedrich Hayek

Re: Noob Question

I hate what those magazines have done to guns. There's no way those guns look that way. Don't set your standards based on those airsbrushed models you see in the slick mags.

Let the scratches show and be proud. That's what a real gun looks like!

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

you wouldn't believe it, but there is an entire industry dedicated to making those images of things that you see in magazines and catalogues look the way they look. They, the people who do that sort of thing, are called 'photo stylists'. They're everywhere, behind every 'George Forman Grill' and 'Big Mac' placed in front of a studio camera...and yes, every Kimber or Glock or SIG or whatever.

They're really good at what they do...and they get paid well to make people like me look fabulous in what we do. They are why a Big Mac never looks like the picture of it, or the Cuisinart Stainless blender looks so elegant and special in the magazine, but never at home...or why that Kimber shines in such spectacular light...

it's magic my friend, those folks are incredible.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

JimInATX wrote:Maybe this shouldn't matter so much, but if I own a gun I'd like it to look nice. So for a future pistol I'm looking at the Kimber 1911 Custom II. I like black with shiny details and this pistol works for me. (I'd probably get rosewood grips.) The local range has one for rent, and I looked at it today. The problem is the shiny parts are no longer shiny, esp the barrel and slide rod, which isn't too surprising. Is it possible to keep these areas clean and (you guessed it) shiny looking? Or if I get this gun, hoping for it to stay nice looking, am I going to be disappointed?

A related question: do people get stainless steel parts chromed? It seems like I heard somewhere that chroming isn't good for firearms.
There is not much you can do about the barrel or guide rod, they are high wear parts in 1911 style firearms, or any automatic pistol for that matter, the only way to keep them shiny is to not shoot the gun

Chroming does help certain parts of a firearm such has barrels, bolts, and gas tube resist corrosion, but has for getting stainless steel parts chromed I think the only real thing it could do is make the parts fit tighter together but I have seen some chromed guns, Century occasionally sell hard chrome ak type rifles.
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

"I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine."

JimInATX wrote:A related question: do people get stainless steel parts chromed? It seems like I heard somewhere that chroming isn't good for firearms.
I won't say there's aren't chromed guns, but that super shiny finish is usually nickle plating.

If you want it to stay pristine pretty, don't shoot it. Spend your money on a good 1911 and let that be your workhorse. I've been super pleased with my SR1911

but there are other good ones out there, too, and for less than a Kimber.
Last edited by SwampGrouch on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Stainless steel can be polished to a fairly high gloss and scratches buffed out. There is a black chrome finish that is nearly as tough as regular chrome. Any blueing, parking or baked-on poly finish will wear with use and show it.

Just plan to do a refinish after a few years of hard use - polish, park, paint or blue.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

SwampGrouch wrote:
JimInATX wrote:A related question: do people get stainless steel parts chromed? It seems like I heard somewhere that chroming isn't good for firearms.
I won't say there's aren't chromed guns, but that super shiny finish is usually nickle plating.

If you want it to stay pristine pretty, don't shoot it. Spend your money on a good 1911 and let that be your workhorse. I've been super pleased with my SR1911

Ruger is charging a lot for the 1911's though. Kimber is about in that price range anyway. STI is pretty good, but I never like the look of the slide. Smith's looks good too.

If you're trying to save a few bucks and get a good gun, I can't recommend the PT 1911 enough. Taurus is doing a very good job for a budget 1911.
Eat your peppers.

SwampGrouch wrote:

+1 Rock Island Armory makes a damn fine 1911 for the money also
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

"I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine."

Simmer down wrote:I hate what those magazines have done to guns. There's no way those guns look that way. Don't set your standards based on those airsbrushed models you see in the slick mags.

Let the scratches show and be proud. That's what a real gun looks like!
What Simmer Down said.

When shooting my "brand new" AR on Friday my shooting buddy looked sideways at me when told to him to bang the magazine on the stock in absence of a K-pot to seat the rounds. It's a tool and in this case a combat rifle. Wear is character and proof something has value because it gets used.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Noob Question

Agree with you all...mostly. My problem is that the Kimbers are such works of art. I have a serious jones for an Ultra Raptor II. Beauty for beauty's sake and a joy to hold.

However, for shootin' I love my XDM. Ugly and utterly reliable.

Bucolic wrote:Agree with you all...mostly. My problem is that the Kimbers are such works of art. I have a serious jones for an Ultra Raptor II. Beauty for beauty's sake and a joy to hold.

I'll no doubt be doing the same with this
RC-135 Kimber.JPG
once it arrives in the spring.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

SwampGrouch wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Agree with you all...mostly. My problem is that the Kimbers are such works of art. I have a serious jones for an Ultra Raptor II. Beauty for beauty's sake and a joy to hold.

I'll no doubt be doing the same with this
RC-135 Kimber.JPG
once it arrives in the spring.
Yeah you definitely need to go armed in a RC-135. Never know where you'll end up...
There is no reason why . . . the state should not help to organize a comprehensive system of social insurance in providing for those common hazards of life against which few can make adequate provision.--Friedrich Hayek

rolandson wrote:you wouldn't believe it, but there is an entire industry dedicated to making those images of things that you see in magazines and catalogues look the way they look. They, the people who do that sort of thing, are called 'photo stylists'. They're everywhere, behind every 'George Forman Grill' and 'Big Mac' placed in front of a studio camera...and yes, every Kimber or Glock or SIG or whatever.

They're really good at what they do...and they get paid well to make people like me look fabulous in what we do. They are why a Big Mac never looks like the picture of it, or the Cuisinart Stainless blender looks so elegant and special in the magazine, but never at home...or why that Kimber shines in such spectacular light...

it's magic my friend, those folks are incredible.
What you mean you can't believe what you see in magazines???

Look, I'm man enough to admit I have a KitchenAid, and it still looks great after many years. I expect no less from a firearm. Baking and shooting are both serious business.
photo.JPG

JimInATX wrote:Yeah you definitely need to go armed in a RC-135. Never know where you'll end up...
So you know of the Hog? One S&W Model 15 with ball ammo, hammer down on an empty chamber, was the only authorized weapon aboard.

We were "Alone, unarmed, and afraid."

JimInATX wrote:Look, I'm man enough to admit I have a KitchenAid, and it still looks great after many years. I expect no less from a firearm. Baking and shooting are both serious business.
If the pie crust comes out, who gives a good God damn what the mixer looks like? (Spouseunit is baking one with blackberries as I type. The house smells wonderful.)

SwampGrouch wrote:
JimInATX wrote:Yeah you definitely need to go armed in a RC-135. Never know where you'll end up...
So you know of the Hog? One S&W Model 15 with ball ammo, hammer down on an empty chamber, was the only authorized weapon aboard.

We were "Alone, unarmed, and afraid."

I almost picked it out of pilot training but took a T-37 instead. Still not sure if that was the right choice but that was 20+ years ago so I guess it's too late for regrets...

JimInATX wrote:Maybe this shouldn't matter so much, but if I own a gun I'd like it to look nice. So for a future pistol I'm looking at the Kimber 1911 Custom II. I like black with shiny details and this pistol works for me. (I'd probably get rosewood grips.) The local range has one for rent, and I looked at it today. The problem is the shiny parts are no longer shiny, esp the barrel and slide rod, which isn't too surprising. Is it possible to keep these areas clean and (you guessed it) shiny looking? Or if I get this gun, hoping for it to stay nice looking, am I going to be disappointed?

Stainless and nickel finished range guns are often heat and carbon stained beyond repair due to excessive use combined with the most minimal cleaning necessary to keep them running. Basically range guns are usually treated as disposable.

Don't worry, your investment can be kept to look nearly as good as the day you bought it with careful maintenance and thorough cleaning after every shooting session. Just don't scrub the shit out of the bore every time you clean it.

I've had great results cleaning stainless guns with Hoppe's Elite/M-Pro 7 and bronze tooth brushes.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

JimInATX wrote:I almost picked it out of pilot training but took a T-37 instead. Still not sure if that was the right choice but that was 20+ years ago so I guess it's too late for regrets...
I got out at four years but didn't have enough sense to stay the hell out of blue uniforms.

SwampGrouch wrote:
JimInATX wrote:I almost picked it out of pilot training but took a T-37 instead. Still not sure if that was the right choice but that was 20+ years ago so I guess it's too late for regrets...
I got out at four years but didn't have enough sense to stay the hell out of blue uniforms.
Still that's a sweet pistol headed your way

inmediasres wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:

Ruger is charging a lot for the 1911's though. Kimber is about in that price range anyway. STI is pretty good, but I never like the look of the slide. Smith's looks good too.

If you're trying to save a few bucks and get a good gun, I can't recommend the PT 1911 enough. Taurus is doing a very good job for a budget 1911.
You can get a Kimberly 1911 for 650? You should buy all of them then. That Ruger runs 650 everywhere I see it.

Haven't seen the Remington for anything less than $850 locally. Not sure if they're going for better anywhere else. The ones I handled when I was looking at 1911's didn't feel worth the price. I think it's just a brand trying to jump in to make a buck.
Eat your peppers.

+1 for the SR1911. I got mine for about $639 and it is definitely worth that. As for them "Jumping in to make a buck", Ruger has been making 1911 frames for years. They just now decided to make their own complete gun.
"Thought provoking quote."