Re: The horders are starting to panic

Fukshot wrote:$1200??
Yeah - aren't the presses $800 (Like a 550B)? Die sets (9mm & 30-30), tumbler, micrometer, scale, and everything else you need to get ready for the first order of powder, primers, brass, and bullets? Plus - I'd be starting from scratch; I don't even have a workbench or vice. You think $1200 is a high estimate? I hope you're right.

I know there are more entry level presses, but if I were to get into reloading, I couldn't see not having a progressive press. I'm pretty ADHD when it comes to repetitive tasks as it is - I don't think I could work with a single stage press.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

senorgrand wrote:JohnDeer: why wouldn't you shoot cast bullets from a rifle? Safety? Accuracy? Feeding issues?

I ask because I intended to reload for a pistol-chambered levergun and have considered casting as another way to reduce my dependence on the supply chain and insulate myself from the whims of anti-gun CA legislature.
With a gas check the best you can do with a cast bullet is 1,700 fps. I am used to shooting ammo that travels 2,400 to 2,900 fps. I don't see the point in turning a 30/06 into a muzzleloader. I might consider casting rifle ammo for survival but as long as premium ammo is affordable I am going to shoot it. The steel case ammo is not as accurate as premium brass cased ammo. But steel case ammo will shoot under a six inch group at 300 yards. That is good enough to put meat in the freezer.

Aztex999 wrote:
Yeah - aren't the presses $800 (Like a 550B)? Die sets (9mm & 30-30), tumbler, micrometer, scale, and everything else you need to get ready for the first order of powder, primers, brass, and bullets? Plus - I'd be starting from scratch; I don't even have a workbench or vice. You think $1200 is a high estimate? I hope you're right.

I know there are more entry level presses, but if I were to get into reloading, I couldn't see not having a progressive press. I'm pretty ADHD when it comes to repetitive tasks as it is - I don't think I could work with a single stage press.
Start with a single stage- if for no other reason than to get the process down- You'll probably wind up using the single stage for all your rifle reloading anyway, as it's generally lower volume. Plus you can get into it for less than $150 as a starting point, then pickup the Dillon if you decide you need it down the road.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

JohnDeer wrote:
senorgrand wrote:JohnDeer: why wouldn't you shoot cast bullets from a rifle? Safety? Accuracy? Feeding issues?

I ask because I intended to reload for a pistol-chambered levergun and have considered casting as another way to reduce my dependence on the supply chain and insulate myself from the whims of anti-gun CA legislature.
With a gas check the best you can do with a cast bullet is 1,700 fps. I am used to shooting ammo that travels 2,400 to 2,900 fps. I don't see the point in turning a 30/06 into a muzzleloader. I might consider casting rifle ammo for survival but as long as premium ammo is affordable I am going to shoot it. The steel case ammo is not as accurate as premium brass cased ammo. But steel case ammo will shoot under a six inch group at 300 yards. That is good enough to put meat in the freezer.
I think I found the problem, gas checks are made of metal and not paper. ;)

Depending on what caliber you are loading for (30-06?) you sure can get around 2400 FPS with gas checked .308 200gr lead bullets. Starting pressures should get you close to that with 50gr IMR 4831. I think your reloading books are lying to you so you'll only buy your bullets and not cast them. Cold water quenching with linotype alloy can get the hardness of the lead to ~30-33. http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_File ... llets.html
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

shinzen wrote: Start with a single stage- if for no other reason than to get the process down- You'll probably wind up using the single stage for all your rifle reloading anyway, as it's generally lower volume. Plus you can get into it for less than $150 as a starting point, then pickup the Dillon if you decide you need it down the road.
Which single stage would you recommend?
LGC Texas - Vice President

Here's some information that folks put together in an earlier thread:

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 29&t=21257

FWIW, I have the lee reloader press for my single stage (along with a little hand press from lee).

I think Cowboy T had a good list, but everyone's got different opinions. Unlike him, I've had good luck with my little $20 frankford arsenal electronic scale and higher end electronic calipers, about $40- don't skimp on the calipers- I'd also recommend the lee perfect powder measure, as then you're using the scale for load verification, and it's only about $25.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Here's some information that folks put together in an earlier thread:

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 29&t=21257

FWIW, I have the lee reloader press for my single stage (along with a little hand press from lee).

I think Cowboy T had a good list, but everyone's got different opinions. Unlike him, I've had good luck with my little $20 frankford arsenal electronic scale and higher end electronic calipers, about $40- don't skimp on the calipers- I'd also recommend the lee perfect powder measure, as then you're using the scale for load verification, and it's only about $25.
:clap2:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

atxgunguy wrote:
shinzen wrote: Start with a single stage- if for no other reason than to get the process down- You'll probably wind up using the single stage for all your rifle reloading anyway, as it's generally lower volume. Plus you can get into it for less than $150 as a starting point, then pickup the Dillon if you decide you need it down the road.
Which single stage would you recommend?
Do not go with a progressive loader until you are well experienced with a single stage. Besides being expensive, Progressives are dangerous to inexperienced loaders, because the chance for an unnoticed error is much greater.

A simple turret press like this one is a good starting point: http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?di ... 2|237|1010

I would avoid a kit like this one, building around a turret press instead: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 2|237|1010

ErikO wrote:
JohnDeer wrote:

I think I found the problem, gas checks are made of metal and not paper. ;)

Depending on what caliber you are loading for (30-06?) you sure can get around 2400 FPS with gas checked .308 200gr lead bullets. Starting pressures should get you close to that with 50gr IMR 4831. I think your reloading books are lying to you so you'll only buy your bullets and not cast them. Cold water quenching with linotype alloy can get the hardness of the lead to ~30-33. http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_File ... llets.html
The problem with all this is I fire about 100 centerfire rifle cartridges a year. I would need equipment to cast 30/06, 270 and 7.62 x 54r bullets. I shoot thousands of 22 LR and 22 wmr bullets a year. When ammo supplies are good I can shoot a 223 cheaper than a 22 wmr but landowners hate the AR. They don't realize that the 5.56 is nothing more than a glorified 22 wmr. They think if you shoot a golf ball over here the bullet will ricochet and kill a cow a mile down the road. I am not going to try to educate these people. Their mind is made up. I am just going to get along with them so I don't end up only shooting on my own property or at a range.

Aztex999 wrote:

No offense, but if you can't hold your attention together long enough to load on a single stage press, you probably shouldn't be loading at all. Getting everything right can be a matter of life or death.

Fukshot wrote:
Aztex999 wrote: I don't think I could work with a single stage press.
No offense, but if you can't hold your attention together long enough to load on a single stage press, you probably shouldn't be loading at all. Getting everything right can be a matter of life or death.
+1 w/ Ms F. Start with a single stage. Believe me, you'll find a use for it if and when you graduate to a progressive. I checked and re-checked and read as much as I could find and I still flinched when I fired the first round I ever loaded.

I've gotten a ton of stuff from Ebay, most (99%) is in very good shape and there is a decent selection if you're willing to wait for what you need (or want).

After the press don't scrimp on the calipers or the scale. I use beam scales and (what the heck is the non digital one) the dial type caliper. Opinions rage about the relative superiority of each. I don't understand, or trust, the electronics and a watch battery when I set off explosions next to my face.

There is so much stuff out there. Kinda like buying a car: how many options do ya want, 'cause they'll certainly sell you the stuff.