Gun Safes--Hard to find in California

So what is up? I have searched just about everywhere in the SF Bay Area for a fire proof gun safe (long arms) with no luck. Liberty Arms is way more then I need and I want more than a steel locker. Home Depot has nothing, Lowes has nothing and Reeds Sport shooting has nothing that meets my requirements. All I need max capacity is 4 to eight rifles. No. I do not own 8 rifles or pistols combined.

Does anyone have any leads on a safe?? I have one but I am not comfortable with its capability. I want to ensure that I am DOJ compliant and fire proof.

Any suggestions or directions would be appreciated.

Re: Gun Safes--Hard to find in California

You'll never find a "fireproof" safe. You'll find varying levels of fire "resistance"...for which you'll find corresponding levels of weight and price...

A surprisingly well made 6 to 8 gun safe is the Winchester Bandit...it's cheap, at less than $400, not too heavy at about 230 pounds, and thus "shippable" without sticker shock. It has a mechanical lock rather than digital, but for some that's a plus.

To improve the fire rating of any safe, glue some drywall/airspace/drywall/airspace/durarock to it and yeah, it should buy a few extra minutes of fire time to the mix.

And please...do an intro post in our intro section lest we think you're just interested in our good looks...

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... m.php?f=37
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I dunno why I didn't mention this when the question was first asked.

You do not want to use a "fireproof" safe to store your guns. They have some sort of water attracting gel in the liner that keeps the humidity inside really high.

Gun safes by reputable manufacturers (Browning, Cannon, Liberty, etc) use sheet rock to insulate. I'd recommend one of those, if just for liability than anything else.

I have no idea where it originally came from, but I have a lockable military box that is a bit over four feet long, about 20" wide, and 8" high that would be great for storing rifles under a bed.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

There are a few manufacturers who, rather than use the moisture method, or in combination with it, use a material that expands when exposed to heat, sealing the gaps and preventing hot gases from intruding into the safe...for which one will pay a premium. I believe that Liberty is one.

A good idea I suppose, particularly if one is seeking to protect a rare collection that would prove difficult to replace.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed