Time for a new gun safe. Advice needed.

I have outgrown my gun storage and need something that is more secure than the locked closet that I currently use. I am looking for storage for about 12 rifles and 10 handguns along with about four 50-cal-size ammo boxes. I would put a dehumidifier in it so it needs an electric feed through.

Reviews seem to be inconsistent. It seems there is a fair amount of junk out there. "Fireproof" would be preferred and either a tumbler lock or a keyed backup to an electronic lock would be a must.

Anybody have a safe that you are extremely happy with or that I should steer clear of? Cost ceiling would be about $2k but half that would be preferable.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Time for a new gun safe. Advice needed.

CDFingers wrote:I will suggest to avoid any electronic type of lock: stick to tumblers, mechanical. Other than that, it's just a matter of money.

CDFingers
I agree with this. I don't have sufficient faith in the reliability of anything electronic and am willing to trade a bit of security for the added reliability. (even then, I think the security of electronic systems in safes is debatable at price levels that are even remotely affordable)

Bucolic - you are absolutely right about there being a lot of junk out there; in my shopping experience the price for quality rises rather quickly. You may want to consider looking at local lock shops; I have seen several older safes in my local stores that are well-made and reasonably priced and the advice of the locksmiths are worth taking into account. You may also want to consider splitting up your collection, if you have room, which may expand your options.

With all that, I like Fort Knox products.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0 ... entries*=0

I got this dehumidifier. Its rechargeable and is designed to cover 500 cubic ft. I haven't had it long enough to assess it but with the rain I hope its doing its thing.

Speaking of new safes. Mine is too small. When they give a gun count its assuming your guns are shaped like mops. My 21-gun safe holds about 12 and they are jammed in.
21-gun safe.png
21-gun safe.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 5758 times

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

senorgrand wrote:Check Craigslist. I often see good safes at great prices. You may want a locksmith to change the combo/key though.
Craigslist is great, I routinely see TL15-30 in your price range or cheaper. Just figure out a way to move it first. A lot of them are from businesses moving/closing and they're desperate to get rid of the old safe.

I got an old US Air Force, hanging map, safe from a local locksmith (he got it from a gov't auction). The walls and door are 11 mm thick plate steel. I had to finish the interior to make it a 'gun' safe, but it only cost $700. It's ugly grey primer color. Perfect.
The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

We have a Liberty Safe. It holds all our long guns and handguns (which we keep cased), with room for jewelry trays and important papers. I think it was about $2200 delivered and bolted to the floor with electric run for it. It's their mid-range model and we've been really happy with it. It has a good fire rating - much higher than most safes we found at that price range. With all the fancy door pockets and presuming soft cases on the handguns, it would easily hold at least 20 handguns and 10 long guns, plus 4-6 ammo cans - we just don't have that many.