Buying First gun. Should I buy new or used? $250 good deal?

So I have decided to buy my first firearm and I wanted some input. After asking a few relatives with guns, they referred me to some probation officer that is offering to sell one of her guns for $250? The price is cheaper than MSRP but I do not know if it's better to buy new instead of used?

Here is the gun on offer. She says that she will included everything in the photos:

The gun is in the 9mm caliber.

So should I take the offer or should I just buy new? Anything to lookout for?

P.S. She says the offer is low because my cousin and her served together in Afghanistan.

Re: Buying First gun. Should I buy new or used? $250 good de

That is a very good deal and should be taken advantage of on the principle that all good deals should be taken.

Having said that, while that gun is really nice for concealed carry, it might not be as fun at the shooting range as a full sized gun. Just my opinion while considering the fact that it's your first gun. That is a good deal though.
The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Good choice and a good deal. After this acquisition, though, you will want--perhaps based on your experience with the Shield--to make a decision on what you want in a larger-frame gun.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Take it. That's a ridiculously great deal. You're in California, right? Which makes it an even better deal, since I don't see an LCI on it.

If you shoot it a few times and decide it isn't for you you can sell it and probably make a profit off of it and buy something bigger.

Though the one time I shot a Shield I didn't find it too bad. For a sub-compact pistol it's surprisingly ergonomic.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

After you follow all that good advice here and buy it, I suggest you learn to shoot it with target loads and light (115gr) bullets, that will be less recoil than full blown self defense rounds. And if you have to use them for protection have no fear they will reliably make holes in anyone needing a hole.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I'll also say that you are being offered a smokin' good deal on that Shield 9. I have one and love it. I really don't find the recoil to be all that hard to manage, and of course, with practice you'll be fine with it. It's obviously a short barrel, but surprisingly accurate at the range. Hell, you could buy that thing for $250, shoot it a whole bunch, and if you end up wanting something else, you could likely sell it for more than you paid for it. I don't see much risk in this oppurtunity.

I vote yes.

It seems you've answered your question, so I'll respond to the "new or used" aspect of it all.

The three hand guns I have all I bought used. They are all in excellent shape. That does not mean that "used" is always a good idea. First, the .22LR Ruger MKII. It has the long six inch bull target barrel. It's heavy, only really for target shooting or getting used to the 9 mm for the military without shooting 9 mm. Cheap. So it's an awkward gun used for anything other than those uses. I use it for half of those: target shooting. Old owner did not like. Advantage: CDFingers.

The .357 GP 100 came with ugly solid wood finger grips, the ones with shapes for your fingers. Same with the Vaquero. I got them both used, both with those horrible grips. Now, for me, the recoil of full power .357 or full power .45LC hurts my hands with those kinds of grips. I think the same for the previous owners. They did not shoot them a lot. I changed the grips. Advantage: CDFingers.

Now, your mileage may vary. I looked at dozens of hand guns while I was waiting for these three to show up. Each does what it was designed to do, and each does it well. I rejected many others, sometimes for price but usually for wear: folks sell their guns when they're worn out or when they're "not fun" to shoot. Patience was rewarded. Advantage: CDFingers.

I took my time finding my hand guns. The jury is still out on rifles, as I've not whittled down my herd to the exactly perfect ones. Projects are still projecting. I think it's good to be flexible and try many things, showing up as knowledge and patience. Advantage: gun buyer.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

begemot wrote:What a ripoff. If you buy it I'll take it off your hands for $300. I'm helpful that way. ;)

It's a great deal. If you get it, you may also want to consider a full size M&P as a range gun.

Pretty sure that's a Reactor TL flashlight, not a laser. Says so on the holster. Iron sights look like Trijicon night sights too.
The 'Reactor' line for the Shield is used for light, red laser, and green laser. The housing and holster are identical.

But even if it's a light rather than laser, the whole package is still a great deal for $250.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote:
begemot wrote:What a ripoff. If you buy it I'll take it off your hands for $300. I'm helpful that way. ;)

It's a great deal. If you get it, you may also want to consider a full size M&P as a range gun.

Pretty sure that's a Reactor TL flashlight, not a laser. Says so on the holster. Iron sights look like Trijicon night sights too.
The 'Reactor' line for the Shield is used for light, red laser, and green laser. The housing and holster are identical.

But even if it's a light rather than laser, the whole package is still a great deal for $250.
Thanks for the clarification.

I've grown to like lasers on my SD guns. Thinking of picking up a green one for my Shield.

No matter how good of a deal it may be....consider other things.

First it's a used pistol...go for new.
Make sure it fits well in your hand...this is a smaller frame CC pistol...not ideal for learning on...get a full size model.
A CC model will have sharper recoil and be less comfortable to shoot.
Smith & Wesson, Ruger, H&K, all make full size versions...go check out a gun show or big chain store like Cabela's to see some
of the choices out there, you'll be able you see em first hand...hold em ask some questions. etc.
after you find one you like or several 'candidates' you might go to a range that will rent you a pistol to test out and see how you like it.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

nigel wrote:There's a good reason why used guns are generally not much cheaper than new ones. It takes a LOT of shooting to wear them out.
Yes. I hope everyone's as lucky as I, as I got three nearly new guns because two were uncomfortable to shoot due to the grips, and the other was awkward unless used for its fairly specialized purpose. Result was they were not shot much. Then I got them...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack