I just plunked down a lot of money...

I want to start gearing up for comps, so I went to the store and got:

Bushnell spotting scope
3 boxes of 100 count Federal American Eagle .223
Case of 250 #9 buck for the shot gun that is coming.
A sling and front sight tool.

I'm hitting an outdoor range Sunday to finally and properly zero the AR's iron sights and the vortex spitfire 1x. Then I'll test how the .223 affects elevation, but I'll zero with 5.56. It probably won't matter at short distances, but I think I may see a difference in longer ranges.
Last edited by RobertS on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I just plunked down a lot of money...

Yes. If you are looking into reloading you can get a set up that can be used for multiple calibers just by changing dies. Look through the reloading section here and get an idea of the cost benefit and difficulty level for your needs. There are some variables that may/ may not work out for you.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Im strange. I kind of enjoy swapping out dies. However soon I hope to have all my presses mounted, and I can just run an assembly line for whichever caliber Im loading. Considering you dont need a captain beef heart press for every step, even those low cost $30 Lee presses work well for a couple steps.

Plus my kids "use" to like helping out, so they could do things like flare and crimp.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

RobertS wrote:I want to start gearing up for comps, so I went to the store and got:

Bushnell spotting scope
3 boxes of 100 count Federal American Eagle .223
Case of 250 #9 buck for the shot gun that is coming.
A sling and front sight tool.

I'm hitting an outdoor range Sunday to finally and properly zero the AR's iron sights and the vortex spitfire 1x. Then I'll test how the .223 affects elevation, but I'll zero with 5.56. It probably won't matter at short distances, but I think I may see a difference in longer ranges.
Unsolicited advice, but bullet weight is more important than if it's .223 or 5.56. Look at 69 or 75 grain for distances past 150+ yards. It's not necessary but it does give you an advantage.