Shooting staff, 25 years to make..

I have been wanting a shooting staff, one that I can use standing up. If i want to sit and shoot, i would use a bi or tri pod. But being 6'4" it is hard to find such a beast.
Then i recalled a sapling I harvested over 25 years ago from the forest close to where my parents home is now. It was choked with vines, giving it a gnarly look. I stripped the bark, waxed the ends, and its been drifting around waiting for the perfect time to use. This was it.

I figured 66 inches was a good height for me, but the staff was 56. I was going to have to add to it. The after market bipod Ys would look hideous on this staff, so I was going to have to make my own. And with the kids at their friends this weekend , it was the perfect opportunity to do this project... And eat some nice meat with the teenage vegetarians away! ;-) made a big pot of beef chili for the weekend, grabbed a walnut log I quartered from a downed walnut on my dads property , and went to work on a drawing.

I thought a rams head would be cool, but being this was the first time I ever attempted any sculpture type of woodwork , I quickly discovered the wood dictates the product, not me.. Lol

First I used my saws all to cut the rough shape, then chisels and hammer. In fact 80% of this project was done with chisels.

When I started removing the material that did not look like a ram I discovered a big old knot right smack in my way. Ram, may have been doable, but suddenly I saw something else in the wood, and I could even incorporate some deer antler material. And i have plenty , picking it up off the ground at my dada property.
The Ram, became an Owl.

Chisel, sand, hole saws to cut eyes, and used a soldering pen with interchange weller tips to burn designs into the wood and a small ball peen hammer to add dimple texture. Then I cut a 2" tip off an antler to use as the beak.

I then drilled a 1" hole with a spade bit. Followed by a deeper hole with a 17/64 bit, in which I JB Weld glued a 1/4 aluminum rod in. My theory was it would add strength, i reality it was probably because I could , and will add nothing to the integrity.

I shaves to top of the staff down to under 1 inch in diameter, and I epoxied a 1.5 inch long piece of 3/4 od copper tubing to the bottom of the staff. Later I added on a spare rubber tip from one of my canes.

JB Weld liberally into the 1" hole in the bottom of the walnut owl, attach to the shaft, and here its now curing.

I've ordered a 12 foot piece of 3/8 leather strap to wrap the bottom half of the Owl, and make an over sized wrist lanyard from.

CD Fingers will happy, I'm going to finish it in....drum roll please. //////
Pine Tar !

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Shooting staff, 25 years to make..

virtualhabitat wrote:That's pretty cool. I like the owl(?) carving instead of just a v-notch
Abstract owl.. Lol.

Me too. Ill add the leather, maybe a buzzard or hawk feather and it will be done.

Im pretty happy with it for my first attempt.

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Simmer down wrote:Function and form.

How long does it take you to turn out one of those violins?
If I have the money, maybe 30 minutes. That includes a 20 minute drive to the music store. Lol. Those are from a long time ago, when I actually had money.

Last edited by dandad on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:That's cool. Very low key and unobtrusive. :D

CDFingers
I am sure it will fool any animals. They will just think its an owl with a gun, and not be concerned.

I might forego the pine tar. Its around $20 a quart and it doesnt appear that anyone locally handles it. if I had a couple items to finish , maybe.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Oh, as i had to cut and then file and sand the large end of the antler ( upper part of the beak) to shape it, I make a cup of tea, no sugar, dropped the piece of antler in it for 30 minutes and the newly cut and worked end matched the rest of the antler better. I then applied some crazy glue and wiped it down with a paper towel to seal it. Its epoxied in place with 5 minute clear epoxy mixed with walnut sanding dust mixed in.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I have been wanting a shooting staff, one that I can use standing up. If i want to sit and shoot, i would use a bi or tri pod. But being 6'4" it is hard to find such a beast.
Then i recalled a sapling I harvested over 25 years ago from the forest close to where my parents home is now. It was choked with vines, giving it a gnarly look. I stripped the bark, waxed the ends, and its been drifting around waiting for the perfect time to use. This was it.

I figured 66 inches was a good height for me, but the staff was 56. I was going to have to add to it. The after market bipod Ys would look hideous on this staff, so I was going to have to make my own. And with the kids at their friends this weekend , it was the perfect opportunity to do this project... And eat some nice meat with the teenage vegetarians away! ;-) made a big pot of beef chili for the weekend, grabbed a walnut log I quartered from a downed walnut on my dads property , and went to work on a drawing.

I thought a rams head would be cool, but being this was the first time I ever attempted any sculpture type of woodwork , I quickly discovered the wood dictates the product, not me.. Lol

First I used my saws all to cut the rough shape, then chisels and hammer. In fact 80% of this project was done with chisels.

When I started removing the material that did not look like a ram I discovered a big old knot right smack in my way. Ram, may have been doable, but suddenly I saw something else in the wood, and I could even incorporate some deer antler material. And i have plenty , picking it up off the ground at my dada property.
The Ram, became an Owl.

Chisel, sand, hole saws to cut eyes, and used a soldering pen with interchange weller tips to burn designs into the wood and a small ball peen hammer to add dimple texture. Then I cut a 2" tip off an antler to use as the beak.

I then drilled a 1" hole with a spade bit. Followed by a deeper hole with a 17/64 bit, in which I JB Weld glued a 1/4 aluminum rod in. My theory was it would add strength, i reality it was probably because I could , and will add nothing to the integrity.

I shaves to top of the staff down to under 1 inch in diameter, and I epoxied a 1.5 inch long piece of 3/4 od copper tubing to the bottom of the staff. Later I added on a spare rubber tip from one of my canes.

JB Weld liberally into the 1" hole in the bottom of the walnut owl, attach to the shaft, and here its now curing.

I've ordered a 12 foot piece of 3/8 leather strap to wrap the bottom half of the Owl, and make an over sized wrist lanyard from.

CD Fingers will happy, I'm going to finish it in....drum roll please. //////
Pine Tar !

That is outstanding

Im taking it to my dads in a couple weeks, were Ill test it with the mod 29 44mag.. Which is the revolver in one of the photos. I figure if it holds up with that, its going to hold up with anything I have. Might take the 1903 springfield as well .

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Update(s) I went ahead and used what I have to finish the staff. Boiled Linseed Oil , and paste furniture wax.

Also, another long term project I am working on , my Winchester HighWall single shot 22lr rifle. I put the receiver in the oven at 280 degree F for an hour. Tested temp with a temp gun, 270. Applied Caseys Plum Brown, followed by fine steel wool and gun oil. It was bare shinny metal, now it has a nice aged patina. Once I reline the barrel I will plum brown that as well.

This is a 2 for 1 shot.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more