Buying a personal firearm from a Canadian dealer for import

Has anyone here ever remotely (online a la Buds) purchased a firearm from a Canadian gun dealer and had it imported here? If not, has anyone here researched the issue? I'm interested in obtaining a 9mm sidearm that's not available in the U.S. but is available in Canada.

I suspect that there would be numerous regulatory issues and I'm not even certain it's possible, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has ever addressed the matter?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Buying a personal firearm from a Canadian dealer for imp

Occasional Importer Procedures For U.S. Individuals
( For personal sporting use - not for resale )
Use Form 6 obtainable from U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Telephone the ATF Distribution office 703-455-7801. Have them send 3 copies of Form 6 to you. ( you can put more than 1 gun on a form ) Alternate number - call ATF Information 202-927-7777

As an "Occasional Importer" include following information on Form 6 : "Application to Import" Maker, serial number, gauge, length of barrels and total length of the gun.

Any FFL holder near you may fill out the form. He need not hold an importers licence. YOU are the importer and by law may do so as an "occasional importer" U.S. law requires this be for personal sporting use, indicate this on your application in the appropriate space. All else is self explanatory.

When completed and signed by your FFL holder, mail or Fed EX the form to the ATF. Fed Ex or UPS expedites delivery.

F & E Imports Branch, BATF, 650 Mass Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20226

It may take 6 to 8 weeks for ATF to approve and return your application, it will be stamped NOT FOR RESALE.

Keep the original approved form. Make photocopies to mail or Fax to Mick Shepherd. We suggest you have the guns returned by international mail from England to you. This way they enter the U.S. Postal system, go to a customs facility where they are cleared and then directly to your FFL by mail. Duty, if any, may be paid to the postmaster or mailman. Avoid Air Freight.

Your approved Form 6 copies will be inside the package and in an envelope marked ATTN: U.S. CUSTOMS.

Antique Guns ( made before 1898 ) may be mailed directly to you, no permit required.

I hope it turns out to be as simple as Mick makes it sound!

This is from micksguns.com

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

nigel wrote:Occasional Importer Procedures For U.S. Individuals

Telephone the ATF Distribution office 703-455-7801. Have them send 3 copies of Form 6 to you. ( you can put more than 1 gun on a form ) Alternate number - call ATF Information 202-927-7777

As an "Occasional Importer" include following information on Form 6 : "Application to Import" Maker, serial number, gauge, length of barrels and total length of the gun.

Any FFL holder near you may fill out the form. He need not hold an importers licence. YOU are the importer and by law may do so as an "occasional importer" U.S. law requires this be for personal sporting use, indicate this on your application in the appropriate space. All else is self explanatory.

When completed and signed by your FFL holder, mail or Fed EX the form to the ATF. Fed Ex or UPS expedites delivery.

It may take 6 to 8 weeks for ATF to approve and return your application, it will be stamped NOT FOR RESALE.

Keep the original approved form. Make photocopies to mail or Fax to Mick Shepherd. We suggest you have the guns returned by international mail from England to you. This way they enter the U.S. Postal system, go to a customs facility where they are cleared and then directly to your FFL by mail. Duty, if any, may be paid to the postmaster or mailman. Avoid Air Freight.

Your approved Form 6 copies will be inside the package and in an envelope marked ATTN: U.S. CUSTOMS.

Antique Guns ( made before 1898 ) may be mailed directly to you, no permit required.

Thanks. It sounds like these directions are applicable where the owner was physically present at the purchase in the foreign country. Unfortunately, I can't drive up to Toronto or Montreal just to buy a firearm, so I have to see whether I can purchase it electronically. If so, then I could probably use Form 6, etc. But that also means that I'll have to find a Canadian LGS that's willing to hold on to the pistol for at least two months.

I think I'll start by calling the ATF and then following up with a Canadian LGS.

Thanks again!

John1911 wrote:
nigel wrote:Occasional Importer Procedures For U.S. Individuals

Thanks. It sounds like these directions are applicable where the owner was physically present at the purchase in the foreign country. Unfortunately, I can't drive up to Toronto or Montreal just to buy a firearm, so I have to see whether I can purchase it electronically. If so, then I could probably use Form 6, etc. But that also means that I'll have to find a Canadian LGS that's willing to hold on to the pistol for at least two months.

I think I'll start by calling the ATF and then following up with a Canadian LGS.

Thanks again!
No worries. These instructions are for buying remotely. You just to have the paperwork in order before the gun can be shipped i think.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.