.22 TCM?

Has anybody here ever fired a 22 TCM weapon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM

It looks like it's sort of a pistol caliber version of 5.56 (it uses a necked down .223 cartridge).

Would it be reasonable as a defense caliber I wonder? It's center fire, which eliminates one of the two problems with 22LR. It seems like it's a very different cartridge then .22LR, beyond sharing a part of their name.

I'm curious to shoot one. I'll be sticking to my 9mm for defense because I find ubiquity of ammo appealing, but I'm still curious about people's experience with this caliber.

For reference:

Re: .22 TCM?

I haven't shot one but I've read about it. It has its merits such as nearly non-existent recoil combined with very high muzzle velocity and reasonably high energy.

The downside for self defense is that it's a very small, light bullet - as light as .22LR, actually. It should penetrate well but without much wound channel. Either that or with a hollow point, expand too fast and not penetrate enough.

Also, it's rather expensive compared to for example 9mm. Even reloading it isn't cheap since the bullets are proprietary, typical .224 bullets as used in 5.56/.223 are too long. I think you can make cases out of .223 brass (cut down, reshape shoulder further down, trim to length) but it's a lot of work.

There's a rifle or two out in .22 TCM as well - they are pretty pointless. If going long gun, why not go with a full .223 with a lot more power without serious recoil and for much less money.

A bit of a novelty round IMHO.

Agreed.
I had the conversion slide for my Glock for a few months- it is light recoiling, but very sensitive to hand position and reloading for it at the time was a no go- there's two flavors of the TCM, and the Glock conversion uses the 9-R which was impossible to reload due to bullet availability. Sold it and haven't looked back. Total novelty

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Agreed.
I had the conversion slide for my Glock for a few months- it is light recoiling, but very sensitive to hand position and reloading for it at the time was a no go- there's two flavors of the TCM, and the Glock conversion uses the 9-R which was impossible to reload due to bullet availability. Sold it and haven't looked back. Total novelty

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Is this the thing Brandon had in Vegas?

But it is fast enough to set off the tannerite :laugh:

It's a novelty. I liked it enough to buy the Glock conversion after shooting Brandon's, but the lack of reloading support and the fact that the Glock and the RIA original are actually different rounds was enough to turn me off. Very, very sensitive to grip as well.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Might be interesting in a machinepistol configuration, like the old Colt SCAMP.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

Yah- would be an interesting tax stamp experiment. But at the same time, you're not going to slow them down to get them below subsonic, so the loud factor even suppressed would be an issue.
- Maya Angelou

Yeah I think I'll be sticking to 9mm for now. I don't reload but I'm always thinking about what happens when the zombies come, and I'd rather have a gun that takes bullets you can practically find on the ground (9mm).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk