Possible end to .22 drought

On Wednesday, I was surprised to discover four buckets of Golden Bullet .22 Long Rifles at the local Wal-Mart, with 1400 rounds each. They were on sale for $73.64 or 5.26 cents per round. What really caught my eye: the signs declaring a limit to retail customers of three boxes of .22 ammunition a day were nowhere to be seen.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... ght-of-22/

I can't see any advantage to choking supply--except for higher profits.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Possible end to .22 drought

Not at our local Wally World in AZ yet but yes, I saw plenty of rim fire .22 at another farm store nearby for slightly higher prices. No complaints on that when bulk boxes of .22lr of Federal, Remington, CCI, are all lining the shelves along w other all the other common calibers. A beautiful sight. Makes you feel proud for being an American!

It's been an interesting experiment in market economics. Supply vs demand and all that hooey. There must be a better way...

I hope the opportunists all choke on their stocks Are found dead by neighbors buried under fallen boxes of ammo months later in the summer heat.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Last year, I was talking to a guy in the export-import business and he said he ships a lot of American made ammunition overseas. He said the ammo factories have been going at capacity but foreign buyers really like American made ammo and are willing to pay more to get it. In other words impoverished America can't afford to outbid the rest if the world for our own bullets (my translation of what he said, not his exact words).
It was just casual talk, so take it for what it's worth.

HuckleberryFun wrote:Last year, I was talking to a guy in the export-import business and he said he ships a lot of American made ammunition overseas. He said the ammo factories have been going at capacity but foreign buyers really like American made ammo and are willing to pay more to get it. In other words impoverished America can't afford to outbid the rest if the world for our own bullets (my translation of what he said, not his exact words). It was just casual talk, so take it for what it's worth.
I've heard that also. I understand that the Swedish National Police use only Speer Gold Dot, a very popular LE ammo that is US made. Speer is part of CCI which IMHO is the best 22LR ammo along with Eley and Aquila.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I honestly never saw a lack of .22 here in north central Ohio. Just price gouging that stopped awhile back and is going on again. A local gun shop owner swears his price on the box of 525 golden bullets has only gone up about $3 since 2012. But he has to gouge me and charge me $45 because that's what everyone else is doing, and he'll look bad if he doesn't do it. But he has as much of any .22 ammo as you want if your willing to pay his prices. Strangely back when the panic started he was charging $80 for 525 golden bullets, last summer it was $25, now it's $45. Last I bought were in 2012 for about $15.

That, Tex, is a beautiful sight. It makes me tear up a little thinking of the halcyon days of old...

Stopped by a Wally World off the beaten path yesterday on the way back from the Big City with a friend. They had CCI Mini-mags for 7.49 a box (100rd). Most importantly, the salesman said we could buy as many as we want, no limit. I bought a couple boxes but my friend got excited and picked up six on the spot.

We are still thirsty here in SE AZ.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Alas, here in the Golden State, the real drought starts Jan 1 2018, when we will have the freedom to buy exactly one 50 round box of ammo every month, with a urine specimen, fingerprints, signature, and a scan for powder residue to make sure we're not hoarding. So, yes, I'm hoarding 22lr, brass in every shape and size, primers, powder, dies and tools, and pistol parts.

Ah that's alright, Pokute. No worries about a drought when you have friends in the neighboring state.

I can always drive into LA with as much ammo as my truck can carry when I next visit my family. We can go shooting together and I can leave the remaining ammo with you to take care of for me for when we go shooting next time.

After all, what're friends for?

Bisbee wrote:Ah that's alright, Pokute. No worries about a drought when you have friends in the neighboring state.

I can always drive into LA with as much ammo as my truck can carry when I next visit my family. We can go shooting together and I can leave the remaining ammo with you to take care of for me for when we go shooting next time.

After all, what're friends for?
A case of 40gr MiniMags will always be appreciated :shifty:

Yeah I'm sure his "victory" was met with some ambivalence by many sellers in the gun industry. I even wonder if some of them voted for Hillary just because it would have made them rich. And I'm convinced, they, like most people assumed the imbecile had no chance of winning. Quite the shock, haha.
The reason you wouldn't want to burn the flag, is because you can.

I swear the Cabelas out here tripled the .22 ammo on the shelves after the Orange one took office.
Now...they have almost a whole section devoted to .22 were ass-deep in it.
Droughts over - at least here, but I'm sure there are still jack-holes out there that clear out Walmarts "speculating".
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Just at Williams Gun Site near Flint, MI, and stood there for 10 minutes looking at the rimfire. The whole CCI catalog including Shorts and Long, WMR, mach2, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Aguila, Eley, Geco, Armcor, and 3 other brands I've never seen before.

Williams underwent a huge renovation, and now is pretty much Gun Nirvana, make, a trip if you are in the area. The reloading supplies were amazing, even though the reloading tools were absent. Powder brass, primers and bullets for anything, easily 40 kinds of powder on sale.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Stopped by my main Wally today. Had most all .22 thru .22Mag in stock, no limits, so bought four WMR 50rd. boxes. Didn't have 180 gr. .40S&W JHP I was looking for and ended up buying at my secondary Wally for $2 more per box of 50 ($20.97). Go figure 4.5 miles between the two.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

bought a bulk pack of .22lr today at ww, first i've seen since obama was elected. $17.35 for 333 rds of winchester white box. they also had the 550 rd box, $27.something. both basically a nickel a round. i have probably 1200 rnds already, but now i can shoot them without fear of running out.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?