ultrasonic gun cleaning

A place to review and talk about firearms, ammunition, optics, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

pokute
Chatty

Re: ultrasonic gun cleaning

#26 Post by pokute » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 am

Bang wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I haven't done it yet. I'm considering using Hoppes and having a thick, wet blanket handy.

CDFingers
Could you suspend a block of dry ice in a bucket of water over it? A layer of C02 gas on top of the surface would stop any "accidents," would it not?
No, that wouldn't help.

People here are getting damned irresponsible, not saying exactly WHAT they are recommending or intending to do. Two things; ONE - "Ultrasonic" just means "shaking". You could tape a $5 aquarium pump to the outside of a tin bucket to make an "ultrasonic" cleaner. It was ultrasonic cleaning that got all those people butt infected by those butt cameras a few years ago, remember?

Hoppe's is just great all by itself, aside from the cost of filling a bucket with it. It's also improved by adding a can of Nitro #9 - That's get's it back to it's old pre-EPA formulation.

Hoppe's #9 is basically equal parts ethanol (denatured alcohol - A powerful water scavenger) and kerosene (dissolves almost all oils, waxes, and greases), a jigger of ammonia (removes jacket fowling), plus a generous dash of 3-in-1 oil (for folks who refuse to lube) and a spare dash of amyl acetate (for the SMELL). There seems to be a general ignorance of the magical properties of kerosene in this thread.

nigel
Loquacious

#27 Post by nigel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

So, elbow the electrics and revert to the tried and true technique pioneered by the well known Scot, Duncan Swish.
ImageImageImage

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

#28 Post by CDFingers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I boiled the pine tar and it didn't catch fire. I am not so sure Hoppes won't catch fire. If it does, it gets the wet blanket treatment.

What could go wrong?

Notice I talk all this out before I ask anyone to hold my beer...

CDFingers
ImageImage
Like I told you--what I said:
Steal your face right off your head.

pokute
Chatty

#29 Post by pokute » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:31 pm

CDFingers wrote:I boiled the pine tar and it didn't catch fire. I am not so sure Hoppes won't catch fire. If it does, it gets the wet blanket treatment.

What could go wrong?

Notice I talk all this out before I ask anyone to hold my beer...

CDFingers
Hoppe's is KEROSENE! If you have never had a kerosene space heater go supercritical on you, let me tell you that you don't want to. Don't heat kerosene!!! It doesn't so much catch fire as turn your personal space into a fireball.

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

#30 Post by CDFingers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

This machine has a way to set the heat so it's not heat if I want. Or just warm. What ev's I wants.

I used to be a manufacturer's jeweler. We had an ultrasonic machine similar to this. It uses sound waves in the liquid to vibrate. When you put your hand in it you can feel it in your knuckles. Some stones we could not put in, like turquoise, as it would vibrate it apart. Most stones were good, but, boy, it cleans like no one's business. If I don't heat it, I think--if I do it outside--there is minimal danger.

Thoughts?

CDFingers
ImageImage

pokute
Chatty

#31 Post by pokute » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

CDFingers wrote:This machine has a way to set the heat so it's not heat if I want. Or just warm. What ev's I wants.

I used to be a manufacturer's jeweler. We had an ultrasonic machine similar to this. It uses sound waves in the liquid to vibrate. When you put your hand in it you can feel it in your knuckles. Some stones we could not put in, like turquoise, as it would vibrate it apart. Most stones were good, but, boy, it cleans like no one's business. If I don't heat it, I think--if I do it outside--there is minimal danger.

Thoughts?

CDFingers
If you don't plug it in, it will be safe. The wiggler that produces the magic waves can get burning hot (because it's usually inside an enclosed base - Heat just builds up), and then there's always the danger of a spark when you turn it off.

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

#32 Post by CDFingers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Maybe I'll put like a table spoon full in there and fire it up to see what happens.

CDFingers
ImageImage

pokute
Chatty

#33 Post by pokute » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

CDFingers wrote:Maybe I'll put like a table spoon full in there and fire it up to see what happens.

CDFingers
That's what we call fuel/air. Even worse. Companies that do heavy duty degreasing use non-flammable mixtures. Ever use a Saf-T-Kleen? Every bicycle repair shop has one. It's a sink that pumps solvent. If it can get a Campy corncob clean, it can clean your gun.

pokute
Chatty

#34 Post by pokute » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

People not familiar with bicycles are going to wonder about that last statement.

zzrguy
Been around awhile

#35 Post by zzrguy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am

I have used my friend ultrasonic cleaner to clean a couple of handguns after I did a full detail on them. I could not believe the shit that came out of them. When I have the cash I'll be buying one. It also work good on cleaning your brass. But you'll need a dryer too.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

zzrguy
Been around awhile

#36 Post by zzrguy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am

pokute wrote:
CDFingers wrote:Maybe I'll put like a table spoon full in there and fire it up to see what happens.

CDFingers
That's what we call fuel/air. Even worse. Companies that do heavy duty degreasing use non-flammable mixtures. Ever use a Saf-T-Kleen? Every bicycle repair shop has one. It's a sink that pumps solvent. If it can get a Campy corncob clean, it can clean your gun.
We had a Safe T Clean sink in my shop years ago but it was flammable (or became flamable)there was a lead slug that held the lid open and would melt at a relative low temp to close the lid if a fire started. Yeah we had to move that machine twice cause of sparks from a torchs. :crazy:

Not sure it they change the mixture.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

#37 Post by CDFingers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 am

I haven't done it yet with the Hoppes. And I haven't done it with the stuff you mix with water to dunk your gun in.

Safety, yes. Avoiding a rusting gun, yes.

Excellent thread.

CDFingers
ImageImage