Re: ultrasonic gun cleaning

I second Marlene's caution. An ultrasonic cleaner with Hoppe's #9 in it sounds like trouble.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bang wrote:
pokute wrote:The new ammonia based Hoppe's is awesome. Doesn't even need the ultrasonics: http://www.hoppes.com/elite/elite-gun-cleaner

But it doesn't have the smell, sigh.
Hmmm...
Elite Gun Cleaner not only penetrates down to the steel's molecular pores while cleaning carbon, copper and lead fouling, but it also conditions the metal to repel future fouling.
That sounds like advertising BS, any truth to it?
You show show me your steel molecule, and I'll show you my Loch Ness monster.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

nigel wrote:
Bang wrote:
pokute wrote:The new ammonia based Hoppe's is awesome. Doesn't even need the ultrasonics: http://www.hoppes.com/elite/elite-gun-cleaner

Hmmm...
Elite Gun Cleaner not only penetrates down to the steel's molecular pores while cleaning carbon, copper and lead fouling, but it also conditions the metal to repel future fouling.
I don't have time to give a chemistry lesson today. Suffice it to say, the Hoppe's Elite functions as advertised, but doesn't have an awesome smell, so has never become popular. I prefer Hoppe's #9, and my own formula made from Dexron 3, 0-15 motor oil, Nitro 9 fuel additive, and a dash of amyl acetate, because Hoppe's #9 and my formula both smell toxically bitchin' due to the presence of amyl acetate, aka oil of pears or banana oil.

Ultrasonic is kind of old school and not worth the bucks for a little vibrator thingy glued to a cheap steel pan.

pokute wrote:
nigel wrote:
Bang wrote:

Hmmm...
I don't have time to give a chemistry lesson today. Suffice it to say, the Hoppe's Elite functions as advertised,.
Molecules and pores, not a crystalline structure with grain boundaries?

nigel wrote:
pokute wrote:
nigel wrote:

I don't have time to give a chemistry lesson today. Suffice it to say, the Hoppe's Elite functions as advertised.
nigel wrote:Molecules and pores, not a crystalline structure with grain boundaries?
Yikes... Quoting hell! Need to unravel this... There!

Okay, back from the lawyer, chemistry lesson follows:

It is not the language that I would use, but it is not wrong.

Consider that the product is a fairly complex solution of salts that is designed to dissolve (and neutralize the resulting compounds!) a wide range of chemical species that would not be part of any common steel.

Further, it must not leave any residue that can contribute to future reactions.

Further, it must not react to any appreciable degree with the disparate compounds (hence molecules) that make up the "steel" (a heterogeneous brickle with typically no fewer than five phases present).

Ideally, it should provide some passivation effect AND leave a residual barrier over the cleaned surface - A surface that is, at a very small level, cratered like the moon after being scrubbed with incandescent hot particles and gases... A layer many molecules thick is in left as porous as a sponge by the action of the propellant gases and entrained particles ;)

So, the technical writer, with a minimal science education consisting perhaps of no more than a year each of chemistry, physics, and biology would write about molecules and pores, justified by his lack of specialized metallurgical knowledge.

pokute wrote:
nigel wrote:
I don't have time to give a chemistry lesson today. Suffice it to say, the Hoppe's Elite functions as advertised.[/quote]
nigel wrote:Molecules and pores, not a crystalline structure with grain boundaries?
Yikes... Quoting hell! Need to unravel this... There!

Okay, back from the lawyer, chemistry lesson follows:

It is not the language that I would use, but it is not wrong.

Consider that the product is a fairly complex solution of salts that is designed to dissolve (and neutralize the resulting compounds!) a wide range of chemical species that would not be part of any common steel.

Further, it must not leave any residue that can contribute to future reactions.

Further, it must not react to any appreciable degree with the disparate compounds (hence molecules) that make up the "steel" (a heterogeneous brickle with typically no fewer than five phases present).

Ideally, it should provide some passivation effect AND leave a residual barrier over the cleaned surface - A surface that is, at a very small level, cratered like the moon after being scrubbed with incandescent hot particles and gases... A layer many molecules thick is in left as porous as a sponge by the action of the propellant gases and entrained particles ;)

So, the technical writer, with a minimal science education consisting perhaps of no more than a year each of chemistry, physics, and biology would write about molecules and pores, justified by his lack of specialized metallurgical knowledge.[/quote]

Phew :think:

I went and checked out that Hornady gun cleaning solution for the ultrasonic. Turns out you have to mix it with distilled water. Hmm. I guess then I would have to douse the gun with WD-40, as "WD" stands for water displacement.

Thoughts?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

No. Just use the ultra sonic as hot as it will go. Take the parts out with pliers or tongs and give them a good shake. Or, pull the basket, if yours has one and shake. The water evaporates off hot metal very quickly.

Edit. Sorry, I missed the whole gun thing. Still do it very hot, then hit with compressed air.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:No. Just use the ultra sonic as hot as it will go. Take the parts out with pliers or tongs and give them a good shake. Or, pull the basket, if yours has one and shake. The water evaporates off hot metal very quickly.

Edit. Sorry, I missed the whole gun thing. Still do it very hot, then hit with compressed air.
OK.

The MKII is blued steel. I would not hesitate with my stainless guns. I'll put on the heat and do it.

I really got this thing for my milsurp bolts, but I'd take them apart, so it'd be easy to get them dry.

After I do it, I'll make a how-to post so others won't have to worry--or maybe they will, depending. :laugh:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Mason wrote:No. Just use the ultra sonic as hot as it will go. Take the parts out with pliers or tongs and give them a good shake. Or, pull the basket, if yours has one and shake. The water evaporates off hot metal very quickly.

I hope that your postscript doesn't mean that you are backing away from the critical word in your original paragraph: PARTS. No amount of heat and compressed air will get water out of an assembled gun that has been in water.

Putting a gun in a bucket of kerosene for a week is a safe alternative. And it works. We used to use this on CAMERAS, followed by a dunking and sloshing in xylenes.

By the way, if you drop your cellphone in the toilet, get it into a plastic bag with a pint of 97% isopropanol (rubbing alcohol - but NOT the 70% rubbish) QUICKLY, and leave it there for a week. Shake it regularly. Then leave it someplace warm to dry for a week. If you're lucky, the phone will be good as new, assuming there was no pee-pee in the potty at the time.

Simple Green will do the trick - use full strength or dilute with distilled water - dry off with compressed air (I use a small blower/vacuum used for cleaning computer tower interiors). Follow up with coating of CRC 3-36 rather than WD40 for water displacement.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/simple-gr ... o3&veh=sem

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/3 ... 03006.html
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.