Re: ultrasonic gun cleaning

Bang wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I haven't done it yet. I'm considering using Hoppes and having a thick, wet blanket handy.

CDFingers
Could you suspend a block of dry ice in a bucket of water over it? A layer of C02 gas on top of the surface would stop any "accidents," would it not?
No, that wouldn't help.

People here are getting damned irresponsible, not saying exactly WHAT they are recommending or intending to do. Two things; ONE - "Ultrasonic" just means "shaking". You could tape a $5 aquarium pump to the outside of a tin bucket to make an "ultrasonic" cleaner. It was ultrasonic cleaning that got all those people butt infected by those butt cameras a few years ago, remember?

Hoppe's is just great all by itself, aside from the cost of filling a bucket with it. It's also improved by adding a can of Nitro #9 - That's get's it back to it's old pre-EPA formulation.

Hoppe's #9 is basically equal parts ethanol (denatured alcohol - A powerful water scavenger) and kerosene (dissolves almost all oils, waxes, and greases), a jigger of ammonia (removes jacket fowling), plus a generous dash of 3-in-1 oil (for folks who refuse to lube) and a spare dash of amyl acetate (for the SMELL). There seems to be a general ignorance of the magical properties of kerosene in this thread.

I boiled the pine tar and it didn't catch fire. I am not so sure Hoppes won't catch fire. If it does, it gets the wet blanket treatment.

What could go wrong?

Notice I talk all this out before I ask anyone to hold my beer...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:I boiled the pine tar and it didn't catch fire. I am not so sure Hoppes won't catch fire. If it does, it gets the wet blanket treatment.

What could go wrong?

Notice I talk all this out before I ask anyone to hold my beer...

CDFingers
Hoppe's is KEROSENE! If you have never had a kerosene space heater go supercritical on you, let me tell you that you don't want to. Don't heat kerosene!!! It doesn't so much catch fire as turn your personal space into a fireball.

This machine has a way to set the heat so it's not heat if I want. Or just warm. What ev's I wants.

I used to be a manufacturer's jeweler. We had an ultrasonic machine similar to this. It uses sound waves in the liquid to vibrate. When you put your hand in it you can feel it in your knuckles. Some stones we could not put in, like turquoise, as it would vibrate it apart. Most stones were good, but, boy, it cleans like no one's business. If I don't heat it, I think--if I do it outside--there is minimal danger.

Thoughts?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:This machine has a way to set the heat so it's not heat if I want. Or just warm. What ev's I wants.

I used to be a manufacturer's jeweler. We had an ultrasonic machine similar to this. It uses sound waves in the liquid to vibrate. When you put your hand in it you can feel it in your knuckles. Some stones we could not put in, like turquoise, as it would vibrate it apart. Most stones were good, but, boy, it cleans like no one's business. If I don't heat it, I think--if I do it outside--there is minimal danger.

Thoughts?

CDFingers
If you don't plug it in, it will be safe. The wiggler that produces the magic waves can get burning hot (because it's usually inside an enclosed base - Heat just builds up), and then there's always the danger of a spark when you turn it off.

CDFingers wrote:Maybe I'll put like a table spoon full in there and fire it up to see what happens.

CDFingers
That's what we call fuel/air. Even worse. Companies that do heavy duty degreasing use non-flammable mixtures. Ever use a Saf-T-Kleen? Every bicycle repair shop has one. It's a sink that pumps solvent. If it can get a Campy corncob clean, it can clean your gun.

I have used my friend ultrasonic cleaner to clean a couple of handguns after I did a full detail on them. I could not believe the shit that came out of them. When I have the cash I'll be buying one. It also work good on cleaning your brass. But you'll need a dryer too.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

pokute wrote:
CDFingers wrote:Maybe I'll put like a table spoon full in there and fire it up to see what happens.

CDFingers
That's what we call fuel/air. Even worse. Companies that do heavy duty degreasing use non-flammable mixtures. Ever use a Saf-T-Kleen? Every bicycle repair shop has one. It's a sink that pumps solvent. If it can get a Campy corncob clean, it can clean your gun.
We had a Safe T Clean sink in my shop years ago but it was flammable (or became flamable)there was a lead slug that held the lid open and would melt at a relative low temp to close the lid if a fire started. Yeah we had to move that machine twice cause of sparks from a torchs. :crazy:

Not sure it they change the mixture.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

I'm looking at getting an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning vintage bike parts, including carbs and bits that are made of unobtanium and can't be replaced. So far everything I've seen should work fine on firearms components. What I'm wondering is why Infante equipment is so expensive and why they sell both the razors (cleaners) and the blades (cleaning fluid). Are they mostly a gov't contract shop and happen to have AGI's blessing/discounts?

Wino wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 pm Simple Green will do the trick - use full strength or dilute with distilled water - dry off with compressed air (I use a small blower/vacuum used for cleaning computer tower interiors). Follow up with coating of CRC 3-36 rather than WD40 for water displacement.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/simple-gr ... o3&veh=sem

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/3 ... 03006.html
Be careful with the normal Simple Green and aluminum parts, as it'll etch aluminum. Simple Green does make a aluminum safe aircraft version that works great in ultrasonic cleaners.

I've used my ultrasonic cleaner on detail stripped handguns before and it works great. The detail stripping was because I trust the the major components are rust proofed but springs usually aren't and springs that live down in holes are near impossible to get completely dried out with 100% confidence.

You can also use an ultrasonic cleaner with gun oil, like CLP to clean and lubricate assemblies that can't be easily disassembled. Using pyrex beakers reduces the amount of oil you have to use and the water is just in the tank for coupling the vibration from the tank to the glass beaker.

BSW