An Omen?

After so many years of crappy cell phone service here in Bucolia, I finally decided to change carriers. Since I have been getting a lot of unsolicited calls, I decided to change phone numbers too.

My new number is easy to remember: 1-xxx-xxx-1911.

I already have one of those brain children of John Moses Browning. Does this mean I should buy another?
Last edited by Bucolic on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: An Omen?

Phone numbers are recycled. When I got my new phone ($17 phone, $30 every 3 months) my calls were in Spanish as were the texts. I don't speak Spanish. I turned off the texting, don't use voice mail, and after a year, the incoming Spanish calls lessened.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

The thieves' latest gambit is spoofing Caller ID. I get calls that appear to be from my area code, and my town's or my cell's exchange, but they simply aren't. Then the will be the credit card fakes, the Windos fakes, the electric company fakes, etc.
The calls come 5-10 times a day so I finally had to buy a call blocker. Press the button and the caller is permanently blocked. No need to struggle!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'm too old to make crank calls, but when I spot one of 'em (local number with the long pause after you say "hello" for the predictive dialer to connect you with an operator is a dead give-away), I certainly feel justified in making a crank answer. Sounding drunk and making them repeat themselves over and over wastes their time and cuts down on their productivity. Lisa/Elizabeth from Resort Rewards is a bot, so she's not as much fun to mess with.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Living in BFE can be frustrating I feel for you, cell phone service is made for cities and following the interstates, not for rural areas. Out here Verizon has probably been the best rural coverage, but T-Mobile bought a big piece of the 71 Band (formerly UHF TV) for rural coverage but it will take time to build out. Now that contracts are a thing of the past and you can keep your phone number, it's much easier jumping to another carrier.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rachael or the new Christy from card services are about the only women who call me. Nice voices. Not much for small talk.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan